It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:19

Page 5 of 9 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your experiences with Laser Rot
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2016, 16:05 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I got one copy of Stasrhip Troopers yesterday. The seller said it plays fine. Well, its watchable mostly but there are few pretty bad areas of few seconds where even the image gets lost. During the whole movie the picture sometimes just tilts slightly up/down and frame drops appears. So i guess, yup, my first rotted disc :yawn: I reported it on the database.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2016, 21:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That's sounds like something other than rot.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2016, 22:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I have several heavy rotters

Aliens CAV
Air-Force One
MIB
Grumpier old Men

And so far the only Aliens has given me trouble, but I pieced together a set of good discs. I do need to watch Air Force One to see if it's rotted.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 04:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

dutchinmiami wrote:
Bambi: blacks out a lot. Will not play side 2. On CLD-1010. Bad snow on CLD-2080.
Robin Hood: blacks out. Will not play side 2. On CLD-1010 and CLD-2080.
First Blood: strafing on side 1. Will not play side 2. On CLD-2070.

I am recycling bad discs: no point having them take up space.

Black outs are not rot.
Do you have your player straight into the TV or are you using some type of processing??????
If you have an enhancer then i'm sure thats what is giving you the black outs.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 11:10 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
That's sounds like something other than rot.
I wish it was but how many chances are there that Starship Troopers with such issues is unrotted? :)
I'll upload a video :!:

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 12:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Could be a warped disc.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 16:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i've a copy of Vol.1 of BLUE SEED that's noisy as hell right from the start,
and hardly gets more than 10/20mins. in before it all comes apart and becomes unplayable altogether.

worse case of Rot i've personally seen so far, and surely cases hardly get any worse than this one?

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 00:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Most LD players can't even generate a black screen. Doesn't the 1010 produce video blue?

When we say "rot" we don't mean "defective in some way" we mean a very specific defect that can cause a number of problems but is usually colored snow and digital sound defects. Not every disc defect is rot.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure %99 of all reported rot is another issue misdiagnosed.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 02:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Most LD players can't even generate a black screen. Doesn't the 1010 produce video blue?

When we say "rot" we don't mean "detective in some way" we mean a very specific defect that can cause a number of problems but is usually colored snow and digital sound defects. Not every disc defect is rot.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure %99 of all reported rot is another issue misdiagnosed.

Yes I also think the rot issue is often misdiagnosed in many cases.

When Pioneer took over the US Carson plant they worked very hard on what they called the "color flash" issue that they fairly quickly put down to various things like quality problems with the (then) variable consistency of the disc components that were being supplied to them & the very poor cleanroom conditions which were promptly improved (basically by being totally rebuilt within the building with the Pioneer spend at the plant standing at just over US $10,000,000 in refit costs alone by July '87) which dramatically improved the quality of the final product. During the lifetime of the format Pioneer never referred to laserdisc age deterioration as "laser-rot" & put the "color flash" issue down to production or material problems throughout the formats life.

The laser-rot problem with LDs does exist but perhaps is missread by some (maybe by myself in some cases) but sadly the deterioration can be ongoing - I have a few LDs that played well many years ago but over the years have succumbed to the dreaded rot but others have displayed high levels of "color flash" from new but have never gotten any worse over the years so would that not be a production issue & not rot?

Whatever way you look at it "rot" is horrible but thankfully we can check here to see what LDs should be avoided or at the very least checked out before trading/buying the disc/title.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 09:45 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Here there are two examples, First one is common across the whole movie, second example is one bad place, few of them are on both discs. On side 1 such bad spot is exactly on chapter 20 mark and player even cant find it but when rewind it a bit the player passes the chapter mark with such blackout and then goes on normally.

https://youtu.be/l94QphokiNA

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 17:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

dutchinmiami wrote:
I stand corrected: it may be a messed up disc and not rot. :)

Nope i still don't think so.
Black outs are not anything i've ever had, and this is not rot or a defect.
I believe it has something to do with your setup and its like the signal is dropping or not in sync with your set.

How is your LD player connected and have you changed anything to see if that fixed the issue.
remove the scaler etc from your chain.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 18:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

dutchinmiami wrote:
No scaler: simply audio / video cables straight to the TV. For all four players.

Discs with no issues play fine. Discs with issues black out on the CLD-1010 and do not spin up or fail on the CLD-2080.

Then it sounds like the refresh rate on your TV.
Black screens are not rot.
Only thing is that some silent films may be missing frames and will display as black.
Good luck with it.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 21:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

dutchinmiami wrote:
Two Disney discs do not work properly: Robin Hood and Bambi. Obviously a disc issue.

Same with First Blood Part side 2: will not / hardly play at all on any player.

Thanks for the input though!

Yeah, after looking at your collection sounds like you picked up a bunch of warped discs not rotted.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 23:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Wouldn't you hear a warped disc anyway? In my player I get a rattling sound. I've only come across warped CLV discs, and the warping is best noticable when the RPM drops. Noises coming from the player and I get some horizontal zigzag noise lines on the screen. Probably because the laser is having a hard time focusing. Both warped discs only had a tiny amount of deformation. Maybe at worst 1mm when I placed the disc on the table.

I do get the impression that a lot of laser rot is misdiagnosed. Especially old discs, or discs from problem factories, are in fact just poorly made to begin with, not actual rot. Am I wrong with this assumption?

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 00:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

monetri wrote:
Here there are two examples, First one is common across the whole movie, second example is one bad place, few of them are on both discs. On side 1 such bad spot is exactly on chapter 20 mark and player even cant find it but when rewind it a bit the player passes the chapter mark with such blackout and then goes on normally.

Yeah, I don't know what that is exactly but it certainly doesn't look like rot. The only defect is a loss of sync with no other obviously contributing factors. A rotter will usually only lose sync once the rot is so bad you can barely see the movie through the rainbow of snow.

That being said, due to the very physical nature of LD and the way it stores all sorts of signals on one track, there are variously weird and hard to explain things that can result from rot. Usually it's just snow, then worse snow, then the digital sound quits, then the disc won't play at all. This could be any number of defects, but it doesn't look one bit like rot.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 12:31 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

That is not a rot? :shock:
Well, what could that be? Discs doesnt sound warped, no any weird noises from inside. I will clean discs carefully, i didnt do that when i get them, just a rough visual sight when they seem to me very ok.
However, i use no scaller, just a single composite cable straight to tv, if that is concerned.
Once again, this release is the only one i have with any issues, no any discs i have have any issues and play fine.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 14:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

monetri wrote:

I've had stuff like that a few times, it was on older discs with the sticky edges and that sticky got onto the playing surface.

My guess is dirt but you need to clean the disc, remember when you put it in the player it reads from the bottom.
Sticker will say side 1 but that really is side 2 to the player, it reads from the inside out.

it could also be like zeta said another flaw, something so small inside the layers that is making the laser read it.

PostPosted: 01 May 2016, 11:06 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
monetri wrote:

I've had stuff like that a few times, it was on older discs with the sticky edges and that sticky got onto the playing surface.

My guess is dirt but you need to clean the disc, remember when you put it in the player it reads from the bottom.
Sticker will say side 1 but that really is side 2 to the player, it reads from the inside out.

it could also be like zeta said another flaw, something so small inside the layers that is making the laser read it.

I had some time yesterday to inspect these discs carefully.... Honestly, i cant see anything! No any weird marks on the surface, dirts or anything, i even didnt clean them as there is actually nothing specific to clean. I took disc one only, it looks like any other in my collection, even better. Yes, i Know the labels are reversed, it is clearly visible CLV and CAV surface.

Ok, if thats not rotted disc, i dont Know... can anyone upload examples of rotted Starship Troopers? I cant see any such video noise matching the laserrot description, only these tilts, drop frames and blackouts i uploaded on video :?: :problem:

PostPosted: 01 May 2016, 13:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There are dozens of ways an LD can be poorly made. Rot is only one of them.

PostPosted: 08 May 2016, 12:27 
i found a german reliese of The Wraith, disc is manufactured by PDQ in UK
if you zoom in pictures of this disc you will see there's lots of discoloration on disc surface.
is this rot?
do you think it still plays w/o problems?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Laserdisc-Interc ... Swn1RXI2fP

Page 5 of 9 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next