It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:16

Page 5 of 15 [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 17:38 
True fan
True fan

I just watched my HBO Video pan and scan version the other night, I still need to pick up the anniversary edition.

Just got these in the mail:

Attachments:
KIMG0961 (1).jpg
KIMG0961 (1).jpg [ 116.27 KiB | Viewed 4114 times ]

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2017, 02:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Another reason to avoid Fool Ray.

I always wanted that Criterion The Killer..one day..

Can't blame Blu-Ray for being such a high quality format that a flaw gets exposed, thats a production mistake.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2017, 13:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Been trying to find this "affordably" for a while now

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2017, 14:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Oh my, looks like a nice box. Do the discs have different artwork for the box, or are they the same as the individual releases? This is the OVAs, right?

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2017, 15:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

samaron wrote:
Oh my, looks like a nice box. Do the discs have different artwork for the box, or are they the same as the individual releases? This is the OVAs, right?

Yes it is the OAV box set.

The covers are pretty much the same as the individual releases, just without the border:

The stickler is the soundtrack on LP that comes with this on a picture platter:

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2017, 03:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Freaking amazing. Do you have a turntable?

I was never a big fan of the fantasy genre but watching Lodoss in the late 90s at the anime club was cool, it was basically like a classic game of D&D onscreen.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2017, 03:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

alien wrote:
forper wrote:
Another reason to avoid Fool Ray.

I always wanted that Criterion The Killer..one day..

Can't blame Blu-Ray for being such a high quality format that a flaw gets exposed, thats a production mistake.

Yes you can. It goes back to my repeated point that older movies were never meant to be seen on BD. Transformers 4 on BD? Sure, cool, BD was built for CGI fests of MAX RESOLUTIONZ and MAX COLORZ but older movies already reached their peak home experience with LD, an afficianado's choice, because more RESOLUTIONZ AND COLORZ doesn't always equal better. Subtlety and balance and film-like softness are more impressive to old movie fans.

You wouldn't understand. You're probably 15 years old.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2017, 09:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Yes you can. It goes back to my repeated point that older movies were never meant to be seen on BD. Transformers 4 on BD? Sure, cool, BD was built for CGI fests of MAX RESOLUTIONZ and MAX COLORZ but older movies already reached their peak home experience with LD, an afficianado's choice, because more RESOLUTIONZ AND COLORZ doesn't always equal better. Subtlety and balance and film-like softness are more impressive to old movie fans.

Older movies were significantly held back from older formats which were almost always manipulated on VHS, LD and DVD because of the inherent limitations of those home video formats. 35mm film, even dating back 100 years has always had a higher resolution than modern Blu-Ray. When a Blu-Ray is done accurately with care, time and resources well spent the older movie ends up look spectacular in the way it was intended to seen. Even the best transfers on Older formats are far more guality of EE, DNR, blown contrast, over pumped colours, sharpening etc because that was VHS/LD/DVDs way of maximizing the presentation on what were objectively technically restricted formats.

You don't understand anything about film and how it works. You are biased and clueless. I am 25 and I have far more knowledge about film than you ever will.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2017, 12:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

alien wrote:
forper wrote:

Older movies were significantly held back from older formats which were almost always manipulated on VHS, LD and DVD because of the inherent limitations of those home video formats. 35mm film, even dating back 100 years has always had a higher resolution than modern Blu-Ray. When a Blu-Ray is done accurately with care, time and resources well spent the older movie ends up look spectacular in the way it was intended to seen. Even the best transfers on Older formats are far more guality of EE, DNR, blown contrast, over pumped colours, sharpening etc because that was VHS/LD/DVDs way of maximizing the presentation on what were objectively technically restricted formats.

You don't understand anything about film and how it works. You are biased and clueless. I am 25 and I have far more knowledge about film than you ever will.

Did 35 mm show the wires in Highlander originally? Fool ray is flawed. More REZOLUTIONZ and PIXELZ doesn't equal better.

All the science in the world doesn't change the fact that I have 15 years more movie watching experience than you. Film is FEELING not science. Start with that perspective if you really want to appreciate film.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2017, 15:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The initial HD-DVD and Blu-Ray releases of Spartacus used the same master as the Criterion Laserdisc. Have a look at it if you want to know how restorations looked back then, and then please have a look at the 2015 Blu-Ray.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2017, 23:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I bought....Stepmom on ld Japan :shh: :shh:
Noticed that cover missing on lddb
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 00:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nissling wrote:
The initial HD-DVD and Blu-Ray releases of Spartacus used the same master as the Criterion Laserdisc. Have a look at it if you want to know how restorations looked back then, and then please have a look at the 2015 Blu-Ray.

I think the HD DVD of Spartacus I have looks fantastic ! What's wrong with it ?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 00:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:
Did 35 mm show the wires in Highlander originally?

Yes. When they prepared the so called Director's Cut (actually just the original EU theatrical cut but with the audio butchered by the producers) they digitally blurred out the wires. As the Director's Cut was made in Standard Definition for home video releases they had to do a new scan for the High Definition Blu Ray release. This time they decided to leave the wires intact to give a more authentic experience.

The Blu Ray is alright, nothing special but it's not a DNR mess at least. I've not seen the recent 4K restoration yet so I can't comment on that. Sadly some shots will always look awful, there's even one shot that was mastered on tape so nothing will ever improve it.

And for what it's worth I'm 31. No idea what difference that makes but it seems to be important to you.

Last edited by hippiedalek on 21 Mar 2017, 20:10, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Pioneer DVL-919E, Onkyo TX-NR626, LG C8 OLED.
My Collection

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 06:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

confederate wrote:
I think the HD DVD of Spartacus I have looks fantastic ! What's wrong with it ?

It has a very reddish, extremely soft and completely dull look to it. It also has quite some sharpening and overall noise is way too distracting (it's not grain we're talking about). The more recent 4K restoration however is really excellent. In some regards even better than Lawrence of Arabia or Ben-Hur. It almost looks like a brand new film by comparison.
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0& ... 22&i=1&l=0

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 16:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:
Freaking amazing. Do you have a turntable?

I was never a big fan of the fantasy genre but watching Lodoss in the late 90s at the anime club was cool, it was basically like a classic game of D&D onscreen.

I do, but it's a not so great model

I plan on upgrading soon.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 07:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cool man, I'm not into vinyl myself but if I had those LPs I'd want to play em.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 12:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Did 35 mm show the wires in Highlander originally? Fool ray is flawed. More REZOLUTIONZ and PIXELZ doesn't equal better.

All the science in the world doesn't change the fact that I have 15 years more movie watching experience than you. Film is FEELING not science. Start with that perspective if you really want to appreciate film.

You just got destroyed again. As hippiedalek mentioned the 35mm presentation DID show the wires just like the Blu-Ray and that proves the fact that it was a production error. In fact again as mentioned, the DVD of the Director's Cut digitally erased the wires because of said production mistake, and yet the BD left the wires in which makes the Blu-Ray more faithful and respectful to the film than the digitally alternated DVD.

LD is great for a lot of reasons, but older SD formats like LD are not a true representative of what actual film looks like, not even close, and that's a objective fact.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 19:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Out of interest I checked my LD copy of the USA Theatrical cut of Highlander (Highlander (1986) [LV 25892]). Even though it's an atrocious transfer (looks no better than VHS to me) you can just make out the wires in a handful of shots.

I don't usually get involved in other people's arguments but there's two things I can't stand:

1)
forper wrote:

2) People talking sh*t about Highlander.

Anyway, we've got way off topic. I suggest we stop or take it to one of the many LD vs DVD/Blu Ray threads.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 09:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

alien wrote:
You just got destroyed again.

No, YOU just got destroyed because apparantly the wires are visible on all formats except DVD which had them digitally taken out.

Hahaha, you have proven nothing.

I know that I proved in another thread that my LD of Blade Runner shows more detail than the BD.

It's just that subtle fine LD picture that wins on older material, sorry to break it to you, you got duped again by the "newer equals better" propaganda.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 10:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:
No, YOU just got destroyed because apparantly the wires are visible on all formats except DVD which had them digitally taken out.

No, they are visible on all formats except for DVD AND the laserdisc release of the Director's Cut with had them digitally taken out.

I honestly have no idea what kind of point you're trying to make, forper.

A handful of posts ago you were saying that Blu Ray was bad because the "MAX RESOLUTIONZ and MAX COLORZ" showed up errors in the film that were never meant to be seen, but now you're saying that laserdisc is "subtle and fine" because it shows the same errors? *

The point I was trying to make is that even the poorest transfer I own of Highlander (which looks like a VHS version of the film poorly slapped onto a a laserdisc) shows up the wires, proving that this "flaw" shows up regardless of format, "resolutionz" or "colorz." The wires were present in the negative, 35mm prints, VHS, LD, DVD releases of the non director's cut version of the film and Blu Ray. I'm not saying that this makes one format as good as the other, just that the idea of using this one specific example as a definitive reason that one format is truer is utterly flawed.

A discussion only works when you have a consistent point of view, but I guess you wouldn't understand as you only have around 400 posts.** All the contradictory ramblings in the world won't change the face that I have 461 messages more forum posting experience than you.*** [Heavy sarcasm]

If you want this "discussion" to continue please make your points more clear.

forper wrote:
alien wrote:

Yes you can. It goes back to my repeated point that older movies were never meant to be seen on BD.

forper wrote:

forper wrote:
All the science in the world doesn't change the fact that I have 15 years more movie watching experience than you.

Page 5 of 15 [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next