It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:05

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Collection updates
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2011, 21:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Since there is a thread like this on every other forum, why not make one here? Simply, just write about your recent purchases. Anything related to Laserdisc belongs here! Keep in mind that pictures are very nice too. :)

Picked up all of these today with exception of Dersu Uzala that I bought for a week ago. I will give Yojimbo a try tonight.

Set 1
Set 2
Also, the golden edition ofRoyal Tramp sure looks niiice! :D

Post subject: Re: Collection updates
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 07:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well 3 things I've got more recent are.

Toshiba demo disc. (not sure if it's Japan edition)
Hitachi Destination demo disc (Japan edition)
Aurex DSP 8" demo disc (Japan edition)

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 02:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

just started collecting next generation on ld, my first disc came in a couple of days ago: the ensings of command/evolution

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 22:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I bought the Criterion Singin' in the Rain a few months ago, just for the audio commentary track. I recently purchased, and am waiting for delivery of, the Star Wars "face" edition LD.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2011, 03:36 
Recent purchases that I have received in the mail:

Baby Face/Night Nurse – Forbidden Hollywood ... CRITERION COLLECTION LASER DISC Rene Clement's "Purple Noon" ... Platoon Deluxe Collectors Edition PSE Book/Box Set

Image Image Image

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 21:26 
True fan
True fan

I finally found a copy of Fellini's Casanova. Hopefully I will have time this weekend to watch it and see how good or bad the discs are. I've had good luck with Discovision, but this is no middle ground. They are either great or nearly unwatchable. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 09:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I just got a copy of Casanova too. Wonder what they're worth? I've read some have entire dead sides. Just started collecting, kinda late, but maybe better than never. When DVD's came out I forgot all about Laserdiscs. But there's just something about them... Also picked up Some Like It Hot, Spaced Invaders, The Right Stuff (sealed), A Christmas Story.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 18:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ratkins wrote:
I finally found a copy of Fellini's Casanova. Hopefully I will have time this weekend to watch it and see how good or bad the discs are. I've had good luck with Discovision, but this is no middle ground. They are either great or nearly unwatchable. Fingers crossed.

I've found with Discovision for me it makes a difference what player you got. My cld-52 laser locks on my one Discovision disc, and on my Day Of Jackle it won't play side one after it attempts for awhile to try.

But my other 2 players that have the floating disc drive clamp mechanism (to reduce vibrations) I find will play better almost anything I throw at it, including Discovision and defective discs.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 01:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I just received a package containing about 50 titles from Hong Kong and Taiwan, including several with no equivalent U.S. or Japanese releases. None of them are currently listed here, but they will be in the very near future, with Julien's blessing, of course! There is some really cool and very obscure stuff included in this group! Please stay tuned, they will be coming to LDDb very soon! Watch the "Recently Inserted" listing for details!

David :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 01:28 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserking wrote:
I just received a package containing about 50 titles from Hong Kong and Taiwan, including several with no equivalent U.S. or Japanese releases. None of them are currently listed here, but they will be in the very near future, with Julien's blessing, of course! There is some really cool and very obscure stuff included in this group! Please stay tuned, they will be coming to LDDb very soon! Watch the "Recently Inserted" listing for details!

You'll be pushing the site closer and closer to the 50,000th LD! All the power to you! Haha

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 15:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

laserking wrote:

That reminds me, I have a Laserdisc of Jackie Chan's Drunken Master 2 that I picked up in Singapore years ago, and it's not logged on LDDB. I'm guessing since there are only about 60 LDs on LDDB that are listed as originating in Singapore, that there might be a LOT of titles from there that are not accounted for?

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 15:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

elahrairrah wrote:
That reminds me, I have a Laserdisc of Jackie Chan's Drunken Master 2 that I picked up in Singapore years ago, and it's not logged on LDDB. I'm guessing since there are only about 60 LDs on LDDB that are listed as originating in Singapore, that there might be a LOT of titles from there that are not accounted for?

And you're welcome to submit this missing LD for further completing LDDb :D

Julien

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 15:19 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

admin wrote:
And you're welcome to submit this missing LD for further completing LDDb :D

Julien

Oh I'm planning on it. Just have to remember to do so when I get home!

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 17:54 
True fan
True fan

tomtastic wrote:
I just got a copy of Casanova too. Wonder what they're worth? I've read some have entire dead sides. Just started collecting, kinda late, but maybe better than never. When DVD's came out I forgot all about Laserdiscs. But there's just something about them... Also picked up Some Like It Hot, Spaced Invaders, The Right Stuff (sealed), A Christmas Story.

Casanova fills 6 sides so no bonus "dead" side information. On Discovision titles that do not take up all sides of the disc, a "spare" disc was used as the "dead" side and sprayed with a coating to make that side unwatchable. I've spent many hours scrubbing sides with rubbing alcohol to see the bonus side. Of the 100+ Discovision titles I have, most are simply sides of previously released titles, but there have been instances of people finding titles that were never released like Bullitt. I have a couple sides of Cassanoa as "dead" sides of other titles. I buy pretty much any Discovision title I run across if it has a "dead" side on it, you never know what you're going to get. Of course that means I'm left with multiple copies of the same movie but it's the excitement of the unknown. haha

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 20:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That's interesting. Have you managed to get any complete movies out of it? You'd have to swap discs but still... I just picked up Jaws and Jaws 2 on DiscoVision 1978 release and '79. Those are all I have so far for Disco.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 00:33 
True fan
True fan

Not any that I didn't have already. Meaning I think I have a complete Animal House in dead sides, but I have that title a couple times over. Now as I'm thinking about it, I may have one of the Cousteau titles complete as dead sides that I don't already own. Jaws is great for the artwork alone. Take a close look, it never looked like that again.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 00:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

here is some of my latest adds that I recieved last week.

Yes, its Cannibal Holocaust... Gremlings with the cool pamplet that I show in another thread, and vampires with one to.

Here is vol 1 and 3 of Ryu the cave boy that I have been looking for so long, and for long didnt think they existed. It was a major setback to notify that it was vol 1 and 2. So I am still missing one part.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 20:03 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Posted in another thread that I picked up 177 movies plus a Pioneer 704 player for $200. No duplicates in the pile, but a few dupes that I already had (in which I'm giving to a friend who is now about to start collecting laserdiscs as well). One highlight was the original Star Wars definitive collection, but for the most part, it was a large list of action movies/musicals.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 05:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Awesome scores all around.....
Looks like Christmas came a bit early !!!!
ENJOY !!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]