It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:15

Page 4 of 6 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: LDs sourced from Theatrical Prints instead of IPs
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 08:37 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Saw the cue marks on Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory: 25th Anniversary [14546]

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014, 04:48 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:
There are tons and tons of LDs made from theatrical prints, thousands. That was the defacto way of doing things before studios realized people actually cared about video quality.

Yes, I always thought the transfers were from theatrical prints, often very used prints. That meant we were listening to inferior optical sound. Ditto VHS movies.

Criterion must have pioneered the use of pre-print elements, either Original Camera Negative or Fine Grain Print or such. Magnetic soundtracks. Emphasis on PRE-PRINT!! Thankfully, pre-print elements seem to be the norm now.

I'm under the impression that if the changeover cues are white the transfer is from a print; if the cues are black the transfer is from a negative. Can anyone confirm this?

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 05:40 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

yuri53122 wrote:
Saw the cue marks on Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory: 25th Anniversary [14546]

I was thinking that's a Warner Bros release. Do you have any pictures captures off the tv to show they look like.

It makes LD even more worth keeping. :) Very rare to see them on DVD if you can find any?

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 05:42 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

madloaf wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
There are tons and tons of LDs made from theatrical prints, thousands. That was the defacto way of doing things before studios realized people actually cared about video quality.

Yes, I always thought the transfers were from theatrical prints, often very used prints. That meant we were listening to inferior optical sound. Ditto VHS movies.

Criterion must have pioneered the use of pre-print elements, either Original Camera Negative or Fine Grain Print or such. Magnetic soundtracks. Emphasis on PRE-PRINT!! Thankfully, pre-print elements seem to be the norm now.

I'm under the impression that if the changeover cues are white the transfer is from a print; if the cues are black the transfer is from a negative. Can anyone confirm this?

Some I taking pictures of ether had some white around them on past few pages on this thread.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2014, 18:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

watching Forgotten Tune for the Flute, A (1988) [ID7194FR]
this is from a print with cue markers.

Last edited by rein-o on 26 Oct 2015, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 21:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Just got a cheap copy of the Legend of the Overfiend dub (R0332). Does have cue markers. Was very surprised. It's probably 16mm sourced, since a lot of anime of the era were stored on it. If you wanna check, first one is during the 13mins while the second one 31mins. Might have missed one in between. The print looks great, though the LD pressing is decent. There's some artifcats in a few of the dark scenes. Mostly noticed it during the hospital scene.

After scanning through the disc, I think the source is just bad. Something between the telecine and tape transfer. Possibly a comb issue. It just sucks. Might have to give it another watch from a couch instead of my face a few feet from my TV. I was going to say its the disc, but its apparently pressed by Pioneer USA. If so, it's probably the worst Pioneer pressing I've seen.

Before you ask, I watched it through both my CLD-3030 and D703. They both have the same issues.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2015, 00:19 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

virtualvcr wrote:
Just got a cheap copy of the Legend of the Overfiend dub (R0332). Does have cue markers. Was very surprised. It's probably 16mm sourced, since a lot of anime of the era were stored on it. If you wanna check, first one is during the 13mins while the second one 31mins. Might have missed one in between. The print looks great, though the LD pressing is decent. There's some artifcats in a few of the dark scenes. Mostly noticed it during the hospital scene.

After scanning through the disc, I think the source is just bad. Something between the telecine and tape transfer. Possibly a comb issue. It just sucks. Might have to give it another watch from a couch instead of my face a few feet from my TV. I was going to say its the disc, but its apparently pressed by Pioneer USA. If so, it's probably the worst Pioneer pressing I've seen.

Before you ask, I watched it through both my CLD-3030 and D703. They both have the same issues.

Overfiend did have a theatrical run in the US (if you can believe that) so that's not too surprising about the cue markers.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2015, 05:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've heard about that. Wasn't it also edited down from the three OVAs with an extra scene or two added in and released in theaters in Japan as well?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 20:50 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

So I got the Elite Nightmare on Elm Street 3 LD. Back of the jacket says it's sourced from an interpositive, but it has cue markers.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2015, 15:29 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

virtualvcr wrote:
I've heard about that. Wasn't it also edited down from the three OVAs with an extra scene or two added in and released in theaters in Japan as well?

That I don't know

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 06:25 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) [LVG 2062]
The PAL pressing has reel change over dots about every 20 minutes or so. I amuse the US pressing early editions of STAR TREK feature films would be sourced from 35mm theatrical release prints.

Not all the reel change over dots was often visible depends on where the pan and scanning is looking at the frame if half-way over it might catch the corners of the oval shaped reel change over dot or if fully panned over to right of the frame it might catch the reel change over dot a bit fuller.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2015, 03:33 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Location: Manassas, VA/Northern Virginia/DC Metro/United States
I can't say I've noticed any cue markers on any of my LD's, I also may not have been looking very close. The majority of my 80's era discs are 4:3 anyway. I don't recall seeing any on the faces edition of Star Wars IV, or the CBS/FOX early 90's editions of the other two.

I did sit down this evening and, for the first time in 2 years....hooked the player up and watched two movies; my Discovision CAV edition of Smokey and the Bandit and Pulp Fiction. I don't recall seeing CUE markers on those. Smokey and the Bandit I don't think was from a theatrical print, even though it's a late 70's transfer, because it's the unmatted open-frame transfer of the film...I don't know if those were matted for widescreen at the theater or on the prints sent to the theater.

I did notice, a few years ago...some odd lines in the picture on the extreme right side. I can only assume that was something from the transfer process. It appears as if it's *usually* in the overscan area; shows up through the Onkyo but I didn't see it on my RPTV. http://i.imgur.com/pL4MpbX.jpg

AS I start going through my discs and watching them; I'll keep an eye out for the markers; should be easier to spot knowing they come about every 20 minutes.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2016, 21:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Recently bought a few lots of Kubrick discs from YAJ. One of them being this issue of 2001. Watching it and about 7 minutes in where it gets to the shot of the wild cats, reel marker! I assume the rest of the disc is the same. Apparently, there's another issue of 2001 also with reel markers as well. I'm waiting for that one to come in.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 18:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Que marks i found always quite apparant, whether watching a movie on tv, dvd or laserdisc, mostly accompanied by a scene change.
I think i saw them also on the Stargate AC3 LD.
On high school it was the most apparant; there was only one 16mm projector and there was an 'ahhh' from us (the audience), waiting over a minute for the next reel to be put on. (The Breakfast Club and more of those teen movies)

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 02:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Watching my Macross: DYRL boxset and its got reel markers as well. Will post some pictures in a bit.

Cropped using AVISynth.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 04:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Beautiful. Is that the Perfect Edition box set? That's the first LD I ever bought...

edit whoah just checked the asking price for it, I bought mine in an Ikebukuro bargian bin for Y1000 back in 2001, before the whole world changed later that year...

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 04:48 
True fan
True fan

I think that pretty much every LD I've watched in recent memory had the reel change marks, I guess I always notice them, last one I watched was Frenzy (1972) [11006]
Isn't The Phantom Menace LD supposed to be the theatrical cut?

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 23:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

forper wrote:
Beautiful. Is that the Perfect Edition box set? That's the first LD I ever bought...

edit whoah just checked the asking price for it, I bought mine in an Ikebukuro bargian bin for Y1000 back in 2001, before the whole world changed later that year...
Its a pretty common set. Got mine for like $10-15 a few years ago. Still see it go for that much.

sjoerg wrote:
Yes. I don't think its has the reel markers though.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 09:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

virtualvcr wrote:
forper wrote:

Its a pretty common set. Got mine for like $10-15 a few years ago. Still see it go for that much.

sjoerg wrote:
Yes. I don't think its has the reel markers though.

Oh there's someone asking $85 "near mint with obi" for it here.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 10:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sometimes the asking price is a bit optimistic on here. I bought mine for around $10, and saw it for 500 yen in Japan at Hard Off when I were there. Several are available on Yahoo Auctions as well for around $10. Very common set. Not that long ago someone tried to sell it here in Norway for $120 + shipping (which is around $20 for domestic), claiming it was very rare and none for sale anywhere else in the world (I found at least 20 for sale on Yahoo Auctions alone at that time).

Page 4 of 6 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next