It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:54

Page 5 of 24 [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Laserdisc Screenshot Thread
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 01:04 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Yeah I can see the lines = but if I squint at the image I don't see it, but the captures are nice and colourfully sharp for Ultimate Oz.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 01:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

cpix wrote:
I dont really think pictures or video captures (Done with cameras) really show how a laserdisc look like, they usually look better on camera pictures than in reality =) but, i thought i include some screen captures of the ultimate oz laserdisc. These have been captured through a blackmagic intensity hd without any form of compression and stored in uncompressed bmp:s. But, I did forget to deinterlace them, so some interlacing artifacts are present :/ trying to find my screen grabs of terminator 2 squeeze as well. I used a hld-x9 for playback.

Great pictures and I can't wait to see caps of the Terminator 2 Squeezed edition. Is it the regular version or the THX remastered version?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 14:16 
True fan
True fan

Here are some Terminator 2 Squeeze pictures, it's not the THX edition! The quality of this release isn't that good! I have deinterlaced the pictures, but i have not resized them for correct aspect ratio, its how the image looks like out of the box =)

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 16:38 
Few shots from Event Horizon

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 17:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I can't help but think that these pics just aren't doing the source material justice at all.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 17:54 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
I can't help but think that these pics just aren't doing the source material justice at all.

If you're referring to my pictures, they are as raw as they come from a X9 at least, what you later get on a tv is a whole other matter

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 19:02 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

ucfmatt
I think you're slowly improving. I have Event Horizon only on region 2 DVD.

cpix

T2 is waste of time as who ever it was that did the film to transfer none of them that have been recycled re-released over and over the years look all the same same with same vile colour tone and issue that is common with someone who is not focused and knows what to look. and Its the same crap on True Lies The Abyss not so bad on ALIENS and I don't mean that crappy bluray that doesn't count! Also small hint in TITANIC but at least the engineer didn't f%()k up the whites looking how they do on bluray with seasick green tint!

I wonder if disclord knows who these milking video engineers are as its obvious they're ether colour-blind or are poor lousy low rated enigneer who has just got out of amatute school and Cameron might have been so tight to pay for a real professonal who knows what to look for.

and the BS THX laserdisc program with their BS "we look for the best film materials" :lol: that on most I've seen is tissue of lies. The first edition of letterbox T2 looks just like SE T2 with botched up colour balancing. And some video jerk dares to me or us we need to calibrate our TV or video projectors. Get stuffed you milking pr!cks! :twisted:

I saw a T2 35mm CDS print selling last year in the UK for around I think £400.00 that print if anyone could show captures from pure 35m vs lets say that lousy bluray format as that has been marketed with basically saying its way better than anything else only the studios have let the format down. The specs are good its just no one is bothered to follow the spec rules to seeing film to video is done with same way first time and every time, as it should be.

Last edited by laserbite34 on 09 Feb 2013, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 19:13 
True fan
True fan

laserbite34 wrote:
ucfmatt
I think you're slowly improving. I have Event Horizon only on region 2 DVD.

cpix

T2 is waste of time as who ever it was that did the film to transfer none of them that have been recycled re-released over and over the years look all the same same with same vile colour tone and issue that is common with someone who is not focused and knows what to look. and Its the same crap on True Lies The Abyss not so bad on ALIENS and I don't mean that crappy bluray that doesn't count! Also small hint in TITANIC but at least the engineer didn't f%()k up the whites looking how they do on bluray with seasick green tint!

I wonder if disclord knows who these milking video engineers are as its obvious they're ether colour-blind or are poor lousy low rated enigneer who has just got out of amatute school and Cameron might have been so tight to pay for a real professonal who knows what to look for.

and the BS THX laserdisc program with their BS "we look for the best film materials" :lol: that on most I've seen is tissue of lies. The first edition of letterbox T2 looks just like SE T2 with botched up colour balancing. And some video jerk dares to me or us we need to calibrate our TV or video projectors. Get stuffed you milking pr!cks! :twisted:

couldn't agree more! I haven't seen titanic, but i totally agree the abyss doesn't look very good, this is also a issue with several squeeze releases, cliffhanger looks like s**t as well, and a friend told me stargate squeeze also is quite depressing!

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 19:23 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Thanks for reminding as STARGATE has the same colour balance botch up! I have the first THX pressing and the DVD R2 and the rubbish bluray! The bluray theatrical has about a few seconds missing on the soundtrack when it cuts from Egypt to present day this is when the scene fades to black and there is huge gab in the soundtrack missing on the glorified so called perfect format in dtsHDMA! What a fR%*(_ing load of rubbish!

Look for a scene when those rings come down on Ra's henchman just when O'Neil says "give my regards to king Tuk". You'll see the same over boasted levels of brightness contest even the botched up video engineers kitchen sink has been thrown in for good measure. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 23:35 
A lot of these "botched" color jobs are actually intentional and not just due to incompetence. Many re-releases of older movies use modern color grading to give the entire film a green/blue/teal or other tint. On Blu ray for example Aliens, the newly re-mastered Terminator, Fellowship of the Ring extended, The Matrix, Savini's Night of the Living Dead among others have very different looks than they did theatrically.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 23:40 
cpix wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

If you're referring to my pictures, they are as raw as they come from a X9 at least, what you later get on a tv is a whole other matter

Not sure I understand you cpix. Isn't what you get on TV the only thing that matters? What I mean is, who cares about the raw signal leaving the player since the only way you can actually view it is on some sort of display?

My problem with screenshots is they never look as good as the image on the TV when I'm watching it. The Event Horizon pics I posted look decent to me but the movie is really stunning on LD. If it wasn't for the occasional rainbow or lack of detail in a few long shots I wouldn't know if I was watching laserdisc or DVD.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2013, 00:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Location: Manassas, VA/Northern Virginia/DC Metro/United States
laserbite34 wrote:

and the BS THX laserdisc program with their BS "we look for the best film materials" :lol: that on most I've seen is tissue of lies.

Oh, the "truly highly (e)xxagerated" certification? Here's an interesting story. Buddy of mine is really in to home theater, but he's been blinded by names and things he's read. So, he spends all sorts of money on thx certified stuff. Well, the power supply module in something died...so he bought one on eBay. Well, it lacked thx logos, so he asked me to see if I could "put the thx in it". I tore this amp all apart, because I was going to swap out power modules. What were the differences between them? A logo. The logo and maybe a specific brand of transistor. It was no better than the normal ones, there were no circuit redesigns, and the boards even had the same number.

Its a joke, plain and simple. Its a silly useless certification people bought in to because George Lucas said it was good.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2013, 01:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

dewdude wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:

and the BS THX laserdisc program with their BS "we look for the best film materials" :lol: that on most I've seen is tissue of lies.

Oh, the "truly highly (e)xxagerated" certification? Here's an interesting story. Buddy of mine is really in to home theater, but he's been blinded by names and things he's read. So, he spends all sorts of money on thx certified stuff. Well, the power supply module in something died...so he bought one on eBay. Well, it lacked thx logos, so he asked me to see if I could "put the thx in it". I tore this amp all apart, because I was going to swap out power modules. What were the differences between them? A logo. The logo and maybe a specific brand of transistor. It was no better than the normal ones, there were no circuit redesigns, and the boards even had the same number.

Its a joke, plain and simple. Its a silly useless certification people bought in to because George Lucas said it was good.

I'm no fan of the THX program, but there were no special parts or anything like that for THX gear. A company could design an amp or receiver any way they wanted, it just had to meet THX's standards for frequency response, dynamic headroom, damping, power output, etc... The only thing THX made was their crossover in the theater program. Many people thought that THX had some special circuits or something but it was simply a set of standards gear had to meet. The LaserDisc player program was the same - there was no THX circuit in a THX certified LaserDisc player - it just had to meet THX specs for frequency response, noise, differential gain and phase, chroma response and overall frequency response flatness and the audio had to meet their specs too. So designers could do anything they liked as long as the final results met THX specs. And THX did randomly test gear as it came off the production line to make sure it stayed up to spec.

Again, I'm not a fan of THX, but people have so many misconceptions about it. It was a set of standards gear had to meet, that's it. Dolby implemented something similar when they introduced Dolby S noise reduction for compact cassette decks - decks had to meet much tighter specs for head azimuth alignment, low frequency head bumps, overload, etc... To be licensed for Dolby S.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2013, 17:01 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Quote:
but there were no special parts or anything like that for THX gear. A company could design an amp or receiver any way they wanted, it just had to meet THX's standards

You're right. I found the board in my pile of junk (out in the shed; four bins deep); and I believe, based on what I could find data sheets for; the change in parts were to take the existing design and get it down to THX standards. Which would somewhat justify the THX certification. Apparently the stock transististors were a little noisy running on 48V, and cost about 2 cents less than the others per unit. I'll also be flat out honest and admit that my memory from any longer than 5 years ago is suppressed/gone.

What gets me are units that are the *exact* same inside and out; but one costs more because it has a certification logo.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2013, 20:01 
True fan
True fan

ucfmatt wrote:
cpix wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Not sure I understand you cpix. Isn't what you get on TV the only thing that matters? What I mean is, who cares about the raw signal leaving the player since the only way you can actually view it is on some sort of display?

My problem with screenshots is they never look as good as the image on the TV when I'm watching it. The Event Horizon pics I posted look decent to me but the movie is really stunning on LD. If it wasn't for the occasional rainbow or lack of detail in a few long shots I wouldn't know if I was watching laserdisc or DVD.

What i mean is, that i find it a lot more interesting my self, to see what the player actually produce, than what you get after pulling the player through a AVR or good TV, they can only do so much, so comparing pictures between players with raw captures is great. You can also capture a lot more detail with raw output if you want to digitize the movie and use post DNR with advanced median denoise and so on. But I also dont like camera pictures of TVs, as i stated earlier, because they wont actually show what it looks like (especially on crt). but thats just my opinion on the matter :)

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 17:30 
Serious fan
Serious fan

in the tradition of cpix; I've also taken some raw source captures. The reason it took me so long to do this was I've been lazy and didn't unbox and configure this Dazzle "HD" video recorder. The large number of bad reviews were from people thinking it'd capture actual HD video. Oh well, it does a decent job of giving me interlaced DV. But here's a screenshot of my video editor. These seem to be already in the correct aspect. Left frame is raw interlaced video; you can see the some lines. Right frame is deinterlaced with Yadif. I've also applied a chroma smoother since DV is actually a 4:1:1 format. The noise around the V and I I believe is crosstalk, no, it looks like chroma checkboarding; the 504 from the bit I viewed it doesn't exhibit this...so I'll probably swap the 505 out for it till I figure out if the 505 is just that way or if it needs alignment.

Raw DV video of that is http://dewdu.de/logodv.avi

An (improper) AVI with H.264 of the same thing deinterlaced with chroma smoothing is at http://dewdu.de/logo.avi

At some point I want to capture the LD's I have that aren't on DVD or otherwise unique and have some insanely high-bitrate copies.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 21:21 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

"Yeah, I see it. I see it" The lines on the left and the purer one on the right. Nice captures. :)

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 21:43 
True fan
True fan

dewdude wrote:
in the tradition of cpix; I've also taken some raw source captures. The reason it took me so long to do this was I've been lazy and didn't unbox and configure this Dazzle "HD" video recorder. The large number of bad reviews were from people thinking it'd capture actual HD video. Oh well, it does a decent job of giving me interlaced DV. But here's a screenshot of my video editor. These seem to be already in the correct aspect. Left frame is raw interlaced video; you can see the some lines. Right frame is deinterlaced with Yadif. I've also applied a chroma smoother since DV is actually a 4:1:1 format. The noise around the V and I I believe is crosstalk, no, it looks like chroma checkboarding; the 504 from the bit I viewed it doesn't exhibit this...so I'll probably swap the 505 out for it till I figure out if the 505 is just that way or if it needs alignment.

Raw DV video of that is http://dewdu.de/logodv.avi

An (improper) AVI with H.264 of the same thing deinterlaced with chroma smoothing is at http://dewdu.de/logo.avi

At some point I want to capture the LD's I have that aren't on DVD or otherwise unique and have some insanely high-bitrate copies.

kool screen grabs! hope you'll do more =)

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 05:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Did some shots of the Suspiria Spectral Collection. Didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but . . . what you gonna do? Maybe I shouldn't have chosen a movie with so many dark scenes! But I thought that it being one of the last Technicolor movies, it would make for a good subject.

Look at those reds bleed!

Also checked my Image/Magnum release of the movie, but it's a lot noisier. Might have to stick with the Anchor Bay Ltd Ed. DVD I have!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 08:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Those Oz shots look great but the T2 Squeeze ones look awful. Smoothed over, halo'd, blah.

Page 5 of 24 [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next