It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:30

Page 21 of 24 [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Laserdisc Screenshot Thread
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2021, 21:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

darthmaul26 wrote:
It's rot status is low probability (like most titles), so I don't think it's a known rotter. I probably got unlucky, though at least it only has rot issues on side 1, sides 2 and 3 are clean. I will probably get another at some point.

I have had a number of copies of these (all three the US LD releases) & they all played perfectly, quite a few years ago & no issues at all.

Yes looks like a bit of bad luck & if you get another pretty sure it will be fine.... fingers crossed!!

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 16 May 2021, 03:08 
True fan
True fan

Player: Panasonic LX-900 revision 1995

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR no longer works for me. For some odd reason it doesn't get along with my rx 5500 xt 4gb. Just recently downgraded from rx 5600 xt 6gb to this card and now Hauppauge has frame drop issues all the time. Even when I had my rx 5600 xt 6g I would have frame drops every so often issues but now it's to the point where the program isn't satisfactory at all. I used Elgato non-hd to do this capture. So don't judge the capture harshly since that limits my bitrate to around 2100 or so when on Hauppauge I was able to get about 5000 or more.

Movie: Pinocchio's Revenge by Pioneer. I am assuming it was manufactured by them since on the lower left corner it has Pioneer's name slapped on the cover of this laserdisc. I don't know if these screenshots do this movie any justice since I was stuck with Elgato non-hd video capture since Hauppauge no longer works but I think this might be the king of laserdiscs video quality wise. This is a really gorgeous print of the film. This laserdisc was released late in November of 1996 right around when DVDs may have started coming out in Japan. I forget if dvds were out in America. This is a nice piece of history right here. It also cost me a pretty penny to get. I have a bunch of rare laserdiscs in my collection but I don't think anything is rarer than this laserdisc in my collection. I have only seen this listed online once in recent History and I picked it up. I knew I had to have it. I remember when I was a kid back in 4th or 5th grade people were talking about this movie on the school bus because commercials would pop up on tv about it. No matter what you think of this movie if you enjoy it or think it's total trash you have to admit that it's a pretty gorgeous looking laserdisc release.

Screens:

PostPosted: 19 May 2021, 02:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR no longer works for me. For some odd reason it doesn't get along with my rx 5500 xt 4gb. Just recently downgraded from rx 5600 xt 6gb to this card and now Hauppauge has frame drop issues all the time. Even when I had my rx 5600 xt 6g I would have frame drops every so often issues but now it's to the point where the program isn't satisfactory at all. I used Elgato non-hd to do this capture. So don't judge the capture harshly since that limits my bitrate to around 2100 or so when on Hauppauge I was able to get about 5000 or more.

these shots look a bit sharper than your Hauppauge ones. The bitrate isn't the only variable. A lot of composite devices have a low pass filter on the input. My Teranex 2D does this. If i use composite in, the signal is low pass filtered (detail is lost, the picture made softer), but if i use the component in, i retain all the detail. I'd have to see an A/B comparison to be completely sure, but to me, the Elgato seems to look better than the Hauppage.

PostPosted: 19 May 2021, 04:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:

You probably should have found an 8GB RAM card or higher.

PostPosted: 19 May 2021, 04:49 
True fan
True fan

9954tony wrote:
these shots look a bit sharper than your Hauppauge ones. The bitrate isn't the only variable. A lot of composite devices have a low pass filter on the input. My Teranex 2D does this. If i use composite in, the signal is low pass filtered (detail is lost, the picture made softer), but if i use the component in, i retain all the detail. I'd have to see an A/B comparison to be completely sure, but to me, the Elgato seems to look better than the Hauppage.

In still shots the Elgato non-hd has people fooled. In motion it has weird line issues and obvious bitrate issues. Also, this is probably one of the best laserdisc video quality wise I own in my collection. Pioneer for some odd reason put a lot of heart into this release. It even looks really good on my lx-h670 but on this older tv I have it actually has a feature to put noise reduction and for some reason my lx-h670 has weird lines in it. Not sure if that's because my lx-h670 is a middle of the range player or if I have some other issues with my lx-h670. Either way this release still looked good on my lx-h670. My lx-900 does have superior picture over it though and I love the fact that my lx-900 has a cool feature built into it that will read most warped discs as long as the disc isn't ridiculously warped. My lx-h670 cannot read warped discs at all and will have distortion in picture and audio. I do not know how many laserdisc players have the special warped correction feature built into it but the lx-900 clearly has it unless it's because my lx-900 is so new that the laser just reads the disc much better. I don't know what exactly it is but I believe it's a mechanism built into the player because I've captured with my lx-900 on other laserdiscs that have what I believe to be are slightly warped and when I pause the video in vlc media player I can see the distortion in the video but in motion it's hiding it. As if there's something built into the player to read discs better.

lonerangerface wrote:
jesuslovesgood wrote:

You probably should have found an 8GB RAM card or higher.

I downgraded from an rx 5600 xt 6gb to a rx 5500 xt 4gb because it was a trade with someone and I got some money out of about $210 so I could afford to buy these obscure expensive laserdiscs. And it shouldn't be a ram issue with the graphics card because Hauppauge pvr is a program from about 2010 or 2011 when it first came out and back then I don't even believe many graphics cards even had 2gb much less 4gb. There's absolutely no reason for either card to have issues with this old software. It's a lack of proper driver support from Hauppauge pvr in my opinion. And by proper I mean good driver support. They just don't care about their product obviously. No reason for a capture device to struggle like that when my non hd Elgato does not struggle and I am willing to be many other capture devices don't have issue either. The problem with my non-hd Elgato is that in motion the quality is subpar because of the low bitrate 2000 and something. If it had a higher bitrate it would be the perfect program for capturing.

PostPosted: 20 May 2021, 22:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
he problem with my non-hd Elgato is that in motion the quality is subpar because of the low bitrate 2000 and something. If it had a higher bitrate it would be the perfect program for capturing.

Got it, that makes sense. I'm in similar position. My device that does the best decoding (overall) softens the picture. I can use my other equipment and get great results (SuperNTSC) but only if the disc is "late manufacture" (which in most cases, can be had on better formats).

I did recently get this OREI XD-990 which does pretty good, but then you have to have an HDMI capture card.

Also, you have no control over the de interlacing, scaling, or anything really. It outputs 800x600p, 1024x768p, 1280x1024p, 1280x720p,1920x1080p.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2021, 07:38 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR (It's working again after I did a defrag of my hard-drive.)

Movie: Demonic Toys 1992

Screenshots:

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2021, 11:04 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR (compare to the Elgato Video Capture non-hd.)

Movie: Pinocchio's Revenge

Screenshots:

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 19:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Been a while, but here's another good LD/DVD comparison...

And before I go on, after months of trial and error, I managed to get a new LD player, a Pioneer CLD-990. My previous captures were from a CLD-D505 before the M-holder broke. As for the captures from the CLD-990, they seem to have some brightness flickering, but the quality don't leave much to be desired. True, LD players differ in quality.

Capture device: Roxio Easy VHS to DVD Plus

Meet the Raisins!: The Story of the California Raisins (1988)

Meet the Raisins! 1990 JP LaserDisc:

The California Raisins Collection 2011 US DVD:

Will Vinton's The Raisins Sold Out! (1990)

The Raisins Sold Out! 1990 JP LaserDisc:

The California Raisins Collection 2011 US DVD:

Need I remind you that the credits look different on "Sold Out!"? Well, let me explain...

The LD used the master seen on the official US VHS release of the special. It had the full "Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours" music video at the beginning shown on "American Fruitstand". The end credits faded in one after another while Lick Broccoli is ranting and raving. After that, after Rudy asking if they could do a commercial, we fade to black, and the rest of the end credits scroll upwards to a jazzy tune which segues to a few bars of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine", and we fade in to the Will Vinton logo.

The DVD used the TV broadcast master, which pretty much truncated the "Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours" music video. As for the credits, all the credits were scrolling upwards during Lick's tantrum. After Rudy asks to do a commercial, we fade to black, and then fade in to the Will Vinton logo.

Other than that, both masters were the same.

As for "Meet the Raisins!"...
The LD is missing the Will Vinton logo at the beginning, not the DVD.
The DVD is missing the "Meet the Raisins" music album ad at the end, including a scrolling list of songs used in the special.

EDIT: I recaptured the LDs with the Canopus ADVC-110, Adobe Premiere Pro (MTR) and WinDV (RSO). These captures have better colors.

Meet the Raisins!:

The Raisins Sold Out!:

Last edited by lonerangerface on 18 Oct 2021, 17:17, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2021, 23:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Okay, so, after nearly two months of trial and error of finding a new PC, I also found a new capture device. Anyways this new PC is the Dell Latitude 7490 laptop, equipped with a Thunderbolt 3 port. I plugged in the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter followed by the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire adapter. The new capture device? A Canopus ADVC-110. Tested it out last night on a VHS and it worked heavenly...

Anyways...

Here is yet another comparison, this time it's...

The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: Winnie the Pooh, and Christmas Too (1991)

Winnie the Pooh, and Christmas Too 1992 JP LaserDisc:

Winnie the Pooh: Special Holiday Edition 1995 US LaserDisc:

Winnie the Pooh: A Very Merry Pooh Year 2012 US Blu-Ray:

The 1995 LD footage was captured last year via USB with Roxio Easy VHS to DVD on an HP Desktop from my previous player CLD-D505, the Blu-Ray footage was from a ripped .mkv file from another site, and the 1992 LD footage was captured today via Firewire with the Canopus ADVC-110 and Adobe Premiere Pro onto my new Dell Latitude 7490 from my current player CLD-990. Before that, I used Roxio on a Dell Desktop but it was all pixelated video, but good audio.

Also, Rabbit's fur was recolored yellow in "A Very Merry Pooh Year" instead of the greenish hue from "New Adventures".

Last edited by lonerangerface on 21 May 2023, 07:44, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 20:22 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: El-gato non-hd and I purposely captured with this software over Hauppauge PVR. A user one here said that he or she thought the laserdisc captures look better with Elgato non-hd over Hauppauge PVR. I think they might be right but Hauppauge PVR does offer a higher bitrate. Don't know which software I should be capturing my laserdiscs with to be honest. These are the two cheaper options. I'm sure there might be something better but at what cost?

Movie: Small Soldiers (1998) [ID5914DW]

Screens:

Attachments:
vlcsnap-2021-11-06-14h44m54s876.png
vlcsnap-2021-11-06-14h44m54s876.png [ 260.72 KiB | Viewed 4933 times ]

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2021, 02:36 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Elgato non-hd

Movie: Ernest Scared Stupid[1305 AS] Picture quality is 10/10 and might be the best laserdisc can possibly look at 4:3. This looks like a high end dvd at 4:3 aspect ratio. I am very impressed by this release. This release might even beat the Ernest Saves Christmas release. Though I would have to go back and check on that. This is definitely one of the better laserdisc releases in my collection. What makes Ernest Scared Stupid even more special is that you get a little bit more of the top and bottom. it might cut off a little of the right and left on the laserdisc release but the dvd and blu-ray releases crop the picture too much and you won't even see certain things like the detail on Ernest's neck and other missing details not shown on the dvd and bluray. Either way the quality of this ld is great. Would love to know what others think of this release. Whether you own this release or if you are judging it based on the screenshots I'm providing.

Screens:

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 18:10 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Elgato non-hd

Movie: National Geographic: Lions of The African Night (1987) [ID5278VE] Full Documentary is available on youtube. I believe it's a vhs rip. This is obviously the laserdisc version of that. Also there's a ton of close shots in this documentary so of course it's going to take advantage of what laserdisc can do. Someone captured a laserdisc version of another National Geographic documentary and uploaded it to youtube and in the comments section someone thought it was hd just because the video says 1080p. So apparently laserdisc can fool some people. Outdated format my behind!!! ;)

Screens:

Other Notes: I think some of you may be waiting for screen caps from Blade. I will eventually get to it but I captured Blade twice already. Once with Hauppauge PVR and once with Elgato. I did not like how it captured Blade. I feel like on my tv Blade looks a lot better than how it's capturing. So I don't know if I will end up posting screen captures for Blade. I think I will but I'm not sure i like how it captured. Not sure if I have to turn up the brightness on my capture device or maybe Blades a very dark film. I just feel in some scenes it's hard to see Wesley Snipes because of the dark scenes. I do think the laserdisc release is good of Blade but I think my capture devices which have issue with the brightness sometimes might be too dark. I will debate if I post screen caps of that. I'm sure some of you would like to see screen captures from Blade since it later release.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 20:10 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: El Gato non-hd

Movie: Blade (1998) [ID4252LI] Sooner than expected. Had some free time so I took some screenshots. I think I did a fairly good job with this screen captures. Maybe I went a little overboard with 27 screenshots. Let me know if I should lower how many screenshots I take in the future.

Screens:

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 09:42 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR S-Video

Movie: Antz (1998) [ID5915DW]

Screens:

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2021, 11:21 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR composite (I should stick with composite. I don't know if there's any benefits of s-video. I believe I was told there was not on here and that it can mess with the colors.)

Movie: Night of the Creeps (1986) [TVL9959]

More Info: Before this movie had a dvd and blu-ray release the best watch to own this movie was the laserdisc version. From what I've read online there used to be a capture of this online but obviously this was probably in the early 2000's or late 90's. So that copy cannot be found. Now I own it on laserdisc. It looks pretty good on laserdisc I guess. You can be the judge of the video quality from these screenshots I took on VLC Media Player. Benefit of laserdisc over dvd and blu-ray release is that you get more of the top and bottom and it doesn't look half bad. I'd imagine the VHS release of this doesn't look nearly as good as the laserdisc version of this movie.

Screens:

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 07:30 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR Composite

Movie: Howling II: Your Sister is A Werewolf (1985) [ID7495HB]

Screens:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022, 15:44 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR composite

Movie: Nightmare on Elm Street 3, A: Dream Warriors (1987) [EE3563]

Screens:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2022, 19:34 
True fan
True fan

Movie: Wild Wild West (1999) [17794]

More Info: I think it's the best looking laserdisc in my collection of over a hundred laserdiscs. Care to agree or disagree. Would like to know what others think of the video quality on this release. I believe this is the type of release where you could hide your laserdisc player and someone would easily mistaken it for a dvd release as long as you zoom in the picture on your large tv screen.

Screens:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2022, 19:57 
True fan
True fan

Movie: Austin Powers International Man of Mystery: Special Edition (1997) [ID3965LI]

Info: Might not show on the screenshots I took but this laserdisc was severely warped but I am too lazy to send back to seller and it was only 15 dollars anyways. It might fix up when I have the laserdisc in-between other laserdiscs. I could tell it was warped because I seen squiggly lines at times but I believe my LX-900 was trying it's hardest to autocorrect it or whatever it does. Movie plays fine but my eyes are picky because i know what to look for when there's an issue with discs. This format has it's flaw and slightly warped discs is one of those issues.

Screens:

Page 21 of 24 [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next