It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:46

Page 19 of 24 [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Laserdisc Screenshot Thread
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2020, 20:20 
True fan
True fan

Player: Panasonic LX-900 1995 revision
Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR S-Video and snapshot with VLC Media Player
Movie: Labyrinth 1986

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2020, 19:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Doesn't s-video have a slight advantage over composite when it comes to resolution too?

From a technical specifications standpoint: no. The "resolution" portion of the signal, the "luma", is identical in both connections. The only difference is that the "color" or "chroma" signal is on a separate wire in s-video, and on the same wire in composite.

In reality, there are a lot of variables involved. Which of "your" cables is better constructed? (loss of signal) Is there a low pass filter on your composite circuit? (reduces resolution) Many other possibilities. I have a Teranex 2D, if i run straight composite into it, it is low pass filtered and loses some resolution. If i use my Harris x75 or SuperNTSC decoder BEFORE the Teranex, and connect to the Teranex via component, it DOESN'T lose resolution. I used that setup to do my captures and to watch on my DLP PJ because my DLP PJ doesn't do well with straight laserdisc. My OLED TV does better than all of the above though. It very well could be, that your capture card has a low pass filter on the "composite IN" that isn't on the "S-video IN". "Correlation" does not prove "cause and effect". Just because your particular setup looks better connected with S-Video, doesn't mean S-Video provides a better picture in {any|more|all} cases. The consensus, is generally the opposite. With mid grade players, and modern TVs, the composite is usually better (but not always).

jesuslovesgood wrote:
I get what you're saying about lcd monitors being better with composite if I hook directly up to them...

I wouldn't really say that. I "didn't" say that. LD hooked to _early_ LCD HDTVs really looked like crap to me. Then again, i don't care for LCD TVs in general. I went from SD tube, to HD RPTV 3 x tube, to PLASMA, to OLED. Even with DVD/Bluray, i can't stand the way backlit LCD washes out the blacks. The only exception, was my 3 chip LCD projector, which did LD quite nicely.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2020, 20:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

@jesuslovesgood, do you have this disc?

Star Trek VIII: First Contact (1996) [LV332433-WS]

If not, you should get a copy, it's cheap, and a pretty good reference disc. do a capture with your set up, and compare to mine. I, like you, use a Panasonic as my main player (1000u), and not a Pioneer.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2020, 16:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

9954tony wrote:

If not, you should get a copy, it's cheap, and a pretty good reference disc. do a capture with your set up, and compare to mine. I, like you, use a Panasonic as my main player (1000u), and not a Pioneer.

You're kidding. I mainly use a Pioneer, since they came up with LaserVision. Mine's a CLD-D505.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2020, 20:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

lonerangerface wrote:
I mainly use a Pioneer, since they came up with LaserVision.

That was Magnavox/Philips...

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2020, 06:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

9954tony wrote:

Whats wrong with your LD player? This looks like Bluray quality. Mine is like blurry with unclean signal just like user jesuslovesgood screenshots above.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2020, 03:18 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rch928 wrote:
Whats wrong with your LD player? This looks like Bluray quality. Mine is like blurry with unclean signal just like user jesuslovesgood screenshots above.

lol. check my anamorphic screenshots

All my recent screenshots in this thread (within the last year or so) were made with:

Panasonic 1000u LD player --> composite out to
Faroudja CFD-SN SuperNTSC Decoder --> YPbPr out to
BMD Teranex 2d (noise reduction) --> SDI out to
BMD SDI capture card @480i

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2020, 23:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

whats Faroudja CFD-SN SuperNTSC Decoder? I did a search online doesn't seem to have results

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2020, 23:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rch928 wrote:
whats Faroudja CFD-SN SuperNTSC Decoder? I did a search online doesn't seem to have results

SuperNTSC was a proposed, and partially implemented in some ways, competing HDTV standard that eventually lost out to our current system (ATSC in USA). It had the benefit of being backwards compatible with NTSC. The CFD-SN was a broadcast grade "decoder".

https://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=14880

You can read a little more about SuperNTSC on this forum, this is just one of the threads: Super NTSC…the saga continues.

It only works well if the source was encoded in a way that is recognized by the decoder. It is "average" at best, in other cases.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 09:38 
True fan
True fan

I'm not a Star Trek fan so I won't rush to get that ld no matter how much it is. Also, I don't like that actor because he's a whiner. Your screenshot is beautiful of his eyes though. Also, you're cheating because you are using some kind of decoder to get a better picture so obviously you will win unless you take a screenshot without using that device. Anyways here's some screenshots of Empire strikes back being upscaled to 1080p. Might be hard to tell but it is actually doing something. I compared the non-upscaled copy to the upscaled and in motion it looks much better. There is definitely more detail. I also already tried to upscale this to 4k but it was pointless because I barely got any gains so I stuck with 1080p. I did many different small samples of a clip from Empire strikes back and came to the conclusion for an analog source like this 1080p is probably the best option when upscaling. I believe I have the settings set at 13 right now and I hope the file size doesn't end up being too large. I know when I set it at 0 and 6 the file size looked like it would be big off the small video samples I made of it.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 10:15 
True fan
True fan

Star Wars The Empire Strikes back 1080p upscale at 13 compression rate with Topaz Ai.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2021, 00:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Also, you're cheating because you are using some kind of decoder to get a better picture so obviously you will win unless you take a screenshot without using that device.

LOL, okay. You said you are using:
capture device HD PVR Gaming Edition
to capture with. That is a "device", and it performs similar functions as my devices.

My first device, is a comb filter. Your capture card is also a comb filter.
my second device, does NR and converts an analog signal to a digital one. your capture device at least converts analog to digital and maybe does NR.
my third device, my capture card, does nothing, it is an SDI capture card, it simply receives a digital signal and stores it to a file.

Your statement is flawed. You are using the same kinds of devices:
A laserdisc player
A comb filter
An Analog to digital converter
A computer.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2021, 00:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Here you go, this is my 1000u plugged directly into my TV via composite yellow cable! The picture i took with my cell phone!

lol. no "devices".

You should check your player, if it has a noise reduction setting, turn it off. See if your picture gets sharper. A lot of LD players have noise reduction built in, but today, it is better to turn it off and let more modern equipment handle that task. you may be able to improve your resolution if you can turn it off. That is why i like the 1000u, it has no NR circuit. This made it unpopular initially, because TVs at the time didn't have NR so it looked noisy when it came out. Now, all TVs have NR built in, and do it better than most (if not all) ld players. NR results in loss of horizontal resolution. The older the NR equipment, generally the more loss occurs. obviously there are exceptions.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2021, 01:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Also, you're cheating because you are using some kind of decoder to get a better picture so obviously you will win unless you take a screenshot without using that device.

Aren't you using topaz and capturing it through a computer???
Thats not straight from TV.
Those are the best shots straight from TV with eyes, they look best.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 18:51 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Jumanji, fresh from the factory seal. Movie varies between light and moderate rot but is never completely clean, this is the worst example (start of side 2).

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2021, 04:45 
True fan
True fan

Laserdisc player: Panasonic LX-900 1995 revision composite cables
Movie: Terminator, The (1984) [ID2940NSB]

I would like to thank lddb seller comicjungle for this copy of the movie. He gave me a great price on it. Also, I would like to say that in my opinion this is a gorgeous laserdisc. It looks very close to dvd quality but has it's own unique look and feel to it. Anyways as normal these are just samples and not the actual quality. I believe capturing analog source will always take about 5-10 percent of the picture quality away. Either way I think this copy of the movie is pretty good looking. I bought a bunch of movies lately from lddb and I want to give credit to all the sellers since every seller worked with me and gave me great deals on here beating most eBay sellers. Some people on eBay ask for ridiculous prices. One seller on eBay from Ohio asks insane prices for his laserdiscs and I pointed him out in the past but I was called rude for calling that seller out. Anyways I'm not about that drama life. Here are the screens. If people want me to upload more screenshots of movies let me know. I have a bunch of laserdiscs I have picked up the past couple months.

Screenshots:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2021, 05:10 
True fan
True fan

Movie: Beach Babes from Beyond. (Turned out to be a softcore p0rn and I didn't know that when I was bidding on it. I knew there would be some t and a but didn't know they took it a step further. :lolno: Obviously since this a PG friendly forum I will not post the tatas. These screenshots are safe for the entire family. Video quality is strange on this title because many of the sequences were shot dream like similar to Superman. I still think it looks pretty good.

Screenshots:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2021, 06:50 
True fan
True fan

Movie: Night of the Demons (bought it for $69.25 and I've seen other copies of it sell for over a hundred bucks on eBay. So I guess I technically got a deal on it. I also own the Arrow Video Blu-Ray release of this film from 2018.

Screenshots:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2021, 07:52 
True fan
True fan

Player: Panasonic LX-900 1995 revision with composite cables
Movie: Silver Bullet (Rarer title that I rarely see the NSTC version up online and this was a sealed copy $47.98

Notes: I might have had the capture slightly darker on Hauppauge but overall I really like the look of this release. I think it's beautiful and I'm happy to have Silver Bullet on laserdisc. In the past I thought about picking it up on Blu-Ray but now that I have the ld of it I don't see the need to. I'm not picky about visual quality and I know I'd get a bigger picture in widescreen but I kind of like how this looks. Keep in mind I am capturing an lx-900 which is a pretty high end player at least for Panasonic. I even played this on my lx-h670 and it didn't look half bad on that player but I didn't see if that player would play the movie without issue. Usually on brand new copies of laserdiscs for whatever reason I'll usually have video and audio issues on my lx-h670. I don't know if I have a cross talk issue on my lx-h670 or other weird issues. I do know the lx-900 seems to have something to correct video and audio issues. I believe the higher end models both for Pioneer and Panasonic have features to correct any issues the disc might have of course it can't correct laserdisc rot. I really love this movie. It might be my favorite Werewolf movie. It's not overly scary in my opinion but the story in it is well written and I find it to be an entertaining movie. I also think Gary Busey does a wonderful job as the Uncle in this movie. I think I'm going to take too many screenshots with this one. I just love it and I want to show off the laserdisc to you all. Let me know what you think of the quality and keep in mind that I may have turned down the brightness so it might be a little darker than it should be. Either way I think this capture still looks good. This film print is gorgeous in my opinion. You definitely see a lot of laserdiscs strength in this release and I don't just think it's the LX-900 doing a terrific job. I think this will look great on most laserdisc players. Sure the lx-900 is lifting some of the weight but this is just a really good ld release. Such a great ld release that I can't believe I took 33 screenshots. :lol:

Screenshots:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2021, 17:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Good thing is that you can always sell the T&A one since I'm sure others need it and it looks clean without any issues.

That Terminator, is it the first widescreen release??? I had that one in the past, sold it when I picked up the early P&S version as I remember that from my
early days of watching it on VHS with the tweaked up audio etc.
Terminator, The (1984) [2535]

Page 19 of 24 [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next