It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:16

Page 18 of 24 [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Laserdisc Screenshot Thread
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2020, 22:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

xtempo wrote:
I need to get that LaserDisc of the Raccoons. I loved that show.

My copy has a little bit of laser rot (mostly on side 2), but still watchable.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 01:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The Abyss

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 05:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Okay, pulled out something special. This is the "anamorphic" version of "the fugitive". yes, that's right, it is one of those few sample promo discs from the USA that is anamorphic:

Fugitive, The (1993) [16904]

Last edited by 9954tony on 25 Aug 2020, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 05:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

...and more anamorphic laserdisc content.

Test Disc for Wide Television, The (1995) [SRLW 1726]

(all 41 samples available in full size here: Test Disc Samples)

Last edited by 9954tony on 28 Feb 2022, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 09:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Tony, excellent stuff and many thanks for taking the trouble to put these up. I was especially interested in seeing the squeezed/anamorphic shots and definitely not disappointed with what I see, I have the Muse/Hi-Vision Okinawa Underwater disc and that one looks quite stunning on the 110" 16:9 screen plus the EFM audio track sounds wonderfully transparent and detailed also.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2020, 22:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I thought I'd edit this post to make it another exciting comparison...

Disney's Sing Along Songs: Fun With Music (1989)

Big difference? The US release was "Fun With Music" (1989) and the international release "101 Notes of Fun" (1994).
"101 Notes of Fun" replaces "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" with "Cruella de Vil", and the reprise to "Why Should I Worry?" is replaced with the reprise to "Cruella de Vil".

Disney's Sing Along Songs Vol. 4: Be Our Guest/Fun With Music (1992 US LD):

Disney's Sing Along Songs Vol. 11: 101 Notes of Fun (1995 JP LD):

And as a bonus, the title card to "Old Mac Donald Had a Band"
Disney's Sing Along Songs: Fun With Music (1989 VHS):

Disney's Sing Along Songs Vol. 4: Be Our Guest/Fun With Music (1992 LD):

The US LD and VHS were captured last year with Roxio Easy VHS to DVD Plus 3, respectively from a CLD-D505 and a VHS/DVD combo unit.
The JP LD was captured a few days ago with Canopus ADVC-110 and WinDV from my CLD-990.

Last edited by lonerangerface on 20 Nov 2021, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2020, 05:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

"Ask not what you can do for SuperNTSC, but what SuperNTSC can do for your laserdiscs". I've mentioned SuperNTSC a few times, so i thought i share some SuperNTSC captures done with my SuperNTSC decoder: Faroudja CFD-SN (I've also figured out why, and how to correct, the aspect ratio of my pictures).

There's probably no reason to watch this movie on laserdisc, although i have heard that it is the only true theatrical release, the DVD and all later releases are altered somehow... this is the first SuperNTSC example: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999) [PILF-2830]

All 16 samples

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 04:11 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Star Trek VIII: First Contact (1996) [LV332433-WS] I believe this is SuperNTSC too.

All 18 samples

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 04:49 
Site Admin
Site Admin

9954tony wrote:
"Ask not what you can do for SuperNTSC, but what SuperNTSC can do for your laserdiscs". I've mentioned SuperNTSC a few times, so i thought i share some SuperNTSC captures done with my SuperNTSC decoder: Faroudja CFD-SN (I've also figured out why, and how to correct, the aspect ratio of my pictures).

And Disclord is sadly missed, even 7 years later!

Full Chroma Bandwidth?

And

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?p=38630#p38630

disclord wrote:
Yep, it has to start in component D1 for,at to be encoded to SuperNTSC and then stored in the composite D2 format. I don't have the Faces set but if they were supplied to Kuraray in the D1 for,at then they would be SuperNTSC since, according to Joe Kane and someone else I can't mention, all component D1 sources were encoded to SuperNTSC at Kuraray - and that wouldnt be changing the films in any way but better mastering quality - it's hit and miss at the other pressing plants - towards the end of LaserDisc's life, say 1997 or so, almost everything from every plant is SuperNTSC since D1 had become the mastering standard from down reszed HD transfers - compare a non-SuperNTSC release like the CAV Dick Tracy with a later SuperNTSC disc and you'll see the major reduction in artifacts achieved, especially on diagonals, even when decoded with a non Faroudja decoder - and 3D Adaptive decoders look even better. The Fifth Element is an amazing looking SuperNTSC disc and has 2MHz of chroma resolution too.

Julien

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 05:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Here's another LD/DVD comparison...

Disney's Sing Along Songs: Circle Of Life (1994)

Now, there's a huge difference between the LD and DVD editions. The 1994 LD and VHS is hosted by Jiminy Cricket, while the 2002 DVD has title cards and a male announcer reading them. Plus, on the DVD, five additional songs are placed between "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" and "When You Wish Upon a Star": "Hakuna Matata", "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy", "W-I-L-D", and "Jungle Rhythm".

And what's more, on the DVD, "Part of Your World" and "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" has slightly updated text and timing for the lyrics, while all the others are the exact same as the original.

1994 LaserDisc:

2002 DVD:

Last edited by lonerangerface on 11 Oct 2023, 06:47, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 06:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

And here's something cool...

An LD/VCD comparison of The Secret of NIMH (1982)

1990 US LD:

1994 US Philips CD-i:

And the resolution for the Philips CD-i is 352x240.

There's also one thing in common: Side 1 of the LD ends after the Brisby kids tie Jeremy up. Same thing with Disc 1 of the CD-i edition.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 06:22 
Honest fan
Honest fan

One more comparison...

You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (1985)

You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown 1995 LD:

You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown 2010 DVD:

Why, Charlie Brown, Why? (1990)

You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown 1995 LD:

Peanuts Emmy Honored Collection 2015 DVD:

Last edited by lonerangerface on 06 Jan 2023, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 13:08 
True fan
True fan

Laserdisc Player: Panasonic LX-H670 and capture device HD PVR Gaming Edition
Ernest Saves Christmas Laserdisc
I personally believe this laserdisc is pretty good looking.
I am judging this off my 4k 65 inch tv.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 14:02 
True fan
True fan

Laserdisc Player: Panasonic LX-H670 and capture device HD PVR Gaming Edition
Lost Boys, The (1987) [12007]

I think Lost boys at least the 12007 version is not impressive visually. However the audio for some odd reason is crystal clear on this laserdisc rip.
I compared the audio on my dvd of lost boys to the ld and they are close in quality. I'd argue that the ld has better audio than the DVD. With that said the DVD wins visual wise obviously. Keep in mind I watch my laserdiscs on 4k 65 inch TV and lcd monitors. I have not judged my ld's on fat tube tvs even tho I own fat tube tvs. In my opinion some laserdiscs look gorgeous even on newer tvs. It's just some don't look as well on newer tvs. I would say this is one of those laserdiscs where the Visuals aren't impressive on newer tvs. I am shocked about how great the sound is tho. I am only using the sound from the white and red audio cables and the sound is stunning on this particular laserdisc. I do not know why. Maybe it's because of the great soundtrack but I also feel like the sound effects are also very clear on this laserdisc. Also, I'm sure many of you already know this about me but I prefer 4:3 laserdiscs over most Widescreen laserdiscs. I feel like on bigger tvs such as 4k tvs that you usually get a better visual picture on 4:3. It does suck that movies do crop off a lot with 4:3 but I feel like 4:3 movies on laserdisc tend to look better than wide-screen laserdiscs on newer tvs.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/qvnjVh61/Lost-Boys15.png[img]

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 15:45 
True fan
True fan

Just wanted to give a quick update. The Lost Boys looked fantastic on our 65 inch 4k tcl tv with our new LX-900 player. That player made the colors as well as the picture look much smoother. I did do a capture of the lost boys with the new laserdisc player but idk if it's going to show up as much of as improvement because I feel like the tv we have is working well with the laserdisc player. I am also able to change the colors to normal, movie, vivid, and other options with this tv. I chose to stick with normal which gives beautiful looking colors for a laserdisc. I know I'm weird for watching ld's on newer tvs but it is what it is. I do own 3 fat tube tvs but I'm not lugging those bad boys down stairs. They are heavy and besides that the screen on fat tube tvs are typically much smaller.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 16:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jesuslovesgood wrote:
I know I'm weird for watching ld's on newer tvs but it is what it is.

So you think you're the only one who does this????????

My TV is from 2012 but that's due to it still working, no room or need for a larger one yet.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020, 22:57 
True fan
True fan

Laserdisc Player: Panasonic LX-900 1995 version. (I corrected the proper revision. This is the 1995 revision not the 1992. Seller listed it wrong.)
Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR
Movie: The Kindred 1987 LD

This is an s-video rip and usually I rip composite but I wanted to try something out. I think I might prefer s-video visually over composite with this new laserdisc player. I believe most people are against s-video when it comes to ld-players. I don't know about that. I think it might be a myth. Anyways I posted screens of this past with my LX-H670 so you can compare these screens to that.

Last edited by jesuslovesgood on 21 Dec 2020, 00:20, edited 1 time in total. _________________
CLD-99, CLD-3080, CLD-53, and LX-900

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2020, 03:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
This is an s-video rip and usually I rip composite but I wanted to try something out. I think I might prefer s-video visually over composite with this new laserdisc player. I believe most people are against s-video when it comes to ld-players. I don't know about that. I think it might be a myth. Anyways I posted screens of this past with my LX-H670 so you can compare these screens to that.

LD is composite format. It has to be split into Y/C "somewhere". It is either done in your player, or in your capture card. If you use an S-video cable from the LD player to the capture card, the LD player is doing the splitting. If you use a composite cable from the LD player to the capture card, then the card does the splitting. If your setup looks better with an S-video cable, that just means your player has a better comb filter than your capture card.

The logic behind using composite cable from LD player, is that most things you will be connecting it to, will be newer, and have a better comb filter than what was available at the time your LD player was made. Some discs are mastered so well (like the one you posted above) that you may not be able to tell the difference.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2020, 06:23 
True fan
True fan

Doesn't s-video have a slight advantage over composite when it comes to resolution too? That might be where I'm also seeing the benefit of using s-video over composite. The picture overall might look nicer on fullscreen if it's slightly higher resolution. This was apparently a brand new laserdisc player and what was included was the player, remote, ac adapter, and an s-video. I'm assuming Panasonic was recommending the s-video and yes I know at the time period in 1992 it's because they used fat tube tv's that benefited from s-video. I get what you're saying about lcd monitors being better with composite if I hook directly up to them but most lcd monitors I've owned don't even have an option for s-video. I'm sure some weird lcd monitors might have an s-video. But the only tvs I own with s-vide are fat tube tvs. Also, want to say one more thing. I think high end laserdisc players are awesome. I'm in love with the fast forward and rewind feature. I don't own a blu-ray or DVD player that rewinds like my lx-900. I know that's a gimmick and most people will find it corny but I think it's pretty neat looking with the way it fast forward and rewinds. Definitely better than my lx-h670 which only scans and sometimes cuts off the picture when scanning forward or rewinding backwards.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2020, 00:19 
True fan
True fan

I want to apologize. The seller listed the laserdisc player as a 1992 lx-900. It is not. It is actually the lx-900 from 1995. For some reason I never checked the back of the player until recently. Well, my prescription on my glasses are a bit off.

Page 18 of 24 [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next