It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:03

Page 2 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Aspect Ratio zooming and Upconverting questions
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 21:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, "Grand Wega" is the name for the projectors. I've never seen one in action but I've never seen a rear projector I liked.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 21:55 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I considered getting something like this for a while since they were HUGE and you could get them for cheaps . . .

Sony 61 inch Rear Projection TV - $125

Decided on getting the 40" CRT, because those had HDCP compliant connections, in case I wanted to use a blu-ray player on it. Couldn't find a Sony RPTV (at least any of the giant 4:3 RPTVs like that one above) that had any HDCP compliant connectors.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 22:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

As far as I know the only penalty for having non-HDCP hookups is that you can't get 1080p. Since no Wega CRT does 1080p anyway it's kind of a moot point.

I might be remembering that wrong.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 23:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
As far as I know the only penalty for having non-HDCP hookups is that you can't get 1080p. Since no Wega CRT does 1080p anyway it's kind of a moot point.

I might be remembering that wrong.

The way I remember it, if you aren't using HDMI with HDCP (the "hand-off" as they call it) a blu-ray player will only output 540p.

Its kind of the same for some upconverting DVD players I've used. If you are connected via component, it will only let you output 480p. If you use HDMI, you can go up to 1080p.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 06:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Anyway back to the OP I made... Heh...

First of all I know this might sound like a stupid question, but hell I'll ask it anyway: is there a way to connect my Laserdisc player (Pioneer CLD-925) to my upconverting DVD player (Panasonic DVD-S68) so I can take advantage of the quality comb filter built inside my upconverting DVD player for Laserdisc? Again not that I'm getting bad results using the HDTV's comb filter, I'm just wondering if there is a way to take advantage of what I know is a superior comb filter at a upscaled 1080i resolution.

If not, again back to the topic of comb filters, would this Composite to HDMI video scaler offer a better quality comb filter then my 32" HD TV? This converter upscales the image to 720p/1080i/1080p and its within my price range within my country. Even though I doubt it has any zoom modes built in which was the problem I was having in the first place, will this video scaler help boost the quality a bit more?

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDMI-Composi ... 257a5d6c69

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 07:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, these days you never know. In the era of LD an upscaler would be a $1500+ item and also be crap, now we're learning that great ones are built into $150 DVD recorders so...I suppose it could be good.

$50 isn't a lot of money if its good, but its a lot of money if its crap so...IS IT WORTH THE RISK? :)

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 08:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
Well, these days you never know. In the era of LD an upscaler would be a $1500+ item and also be crap, now we're learning that great ones are built into $150 DVD recorders so...I suppose it could be good.

$50 isn't a lot of money if its good, but its a lot of money if its crap so...IS IT WORTH THE RISK? :)

Interesting, never knew just how expensive scalers were back in those days and yet still run the risk of being crap. I used to have a cheapo DVD recorder but it broke years ago and I threw it away. Anyway, I am quite happy so far with the job my HDTV's comb filter is doing, but I would pay more if I could get a slightly better image upscaled to 1080i, but like you pose the question I am just not sure if its worth it if it turns out being crap. If its decent then I'd buy it but whose to know... :think:

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 17:14 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If you're going to go the DVD recorder route, you have to be wary of what recorder you use. Newest doesn't mean always mean best, as I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK, their last DVD/VCR recorder combo model. It does have upscaling capabilities, but its comb filter is less than adequate (does next to nothing for dot-crawl and cross-color artifacting.)

Meanwhile Panasonic's older model, DMR-ES25 (DVD Recorder only) has a very good comb filter and upscaling to 1080i. Unfortunately, outside of word of mouth, there's no real way to tell in manuals and product descriptions if these recorders have good comb filters (unless they tout having 3D comb filters--I've never come across any that have said so.)

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 01:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:
If you're going to go the DVD recorder route, you have to be wary of what recorder you use. Newest doesn't mean always mean best, as I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK, their last DVD/VCR recorder combo model. It does have upscaling capabilities, but its comb filter is less than adequate (does next to nothing for dot-crawl and cross-color artifacting.)

Meanwhile Panasonic's older model, DMR-ES25 (DVD Recorder only) has a very good comb filter and upscaling to 1080i. Unfortunately, outside of word of mouth, there's no real way to tell in manuals and product descriptions if these recorders have good comb filters (unless they tout having 3D comb filters--I've never come across any that have said so.)

I don't actuelly plan to buy a DVD recorder for the sole purpose of using its comb filter and upscaling capabilities because it would be too expensive, I wouldn't have space to store it in and I don't plan to record stuff off TV since I have another device that does that for me. I plan just to get a affordable small external video scaler that upconverts the image to 720p/1080i/1080p like the one I linked to earlier - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160966732905 ... 97.c0.m619

FYI, I asked the seller what he thought of its analog upscaling capabilities and he told me it does a fantastic job, however I asked for a brand or model number and he said that its a unbranded generic item. Is the latter a bad sign? or is normal for run of the mil external video scalers?

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 01:43 
True fan
True fan

It doesn't make much difference...
It is almost certenly a product from China, just like Sony, Philips and so on ;)
The main difference is the price...

Last edited by integra on 13 Feb 2013, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 01:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Who cares if you will actually use the DVD recorder for its intended purpose? Some people buy them already broken just for the upscaling.

If you really want a better picture and you don't want a CRT I recommend buying one of the higher rated DVD recorders, working or not. Buy one that is specifically known to be good. The exact model. Otherwise you're just guessing. Wait until you can get a good one from eBay, preferably with a broken drive. It shouldn't cost much more than this brand-free black box, possibly less.

And no, the price doesn't mean anything either. Not these days. Also, literally %99.9 of all electronics come from "China" so that's about as relevant as it coming from "Earth". My iPhone is Chinese, so is my DSLR, my MacBook, my PS3, and all of these are quality stuff (by today's standards anyway).

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2013, 01:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I use a dvdo upscaler on my 40" trinitron and it looks awesome.

There are black bars all around when i run 1080 so my picture is only 36" but i dont mind.

So my question for the technically savvy out there who are always stating how much better the resolution on dvd and blu-ray is to LD. If im showing an hd picture through dvi in this fashion( i guess its a line quadrupler??). How do my spechs stack up to the more modern systems???

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017, 03:59 
True fan
True fan

Recently some suggested I try my dmres25 DVD recorder with my xbr960 again. But before I give it a go is there any way to accurately mess with the weird digital reality settings? Also I've always kept my DRC on interlaced for LD-does cinema mode do anything for composite SD?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 16:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jazz2future wrote:
I use a dvdo upscaler on my 40" trinitron and it looks awesome

It does wonders for me too.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 10:37 
True fan
True fan

Never zoom on an LD. It's just not necessary . The format wasn't designed for that contrary to some saying otherwise. Moreover, it looks like crap when you do.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 20:21 
Second post
Second post

Whilst keeping movies on Laserdisc in their original format of 4:3 you can be sure that the image quality is good.

However, investing in a piece of tech that allows you to zoom into the image and still keep the quality high is a worthy investment. I agree that zooming into the image with no processor is fruitless.

I chose to go down the route of buying an AV amplifier with a worthy processor for taking my Laserdisc analogue signal and upconverting it which has made a great difference for me.

Onkyo did a fantastic range of amplifiers a few years ago that had the Qdeo processor. Reserved currently for only their top of the line models. It does a great job and I highly recommend getting an older model with this feature.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 21:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

farstarbuck wrote:
Whilst keeping movies on Laserdisc in their original format of 4:3 you can be sure that the image quality is good.

However, investing in a piece of tech that allows you to zoom into the image and still keep the quality high is a worthy investment. I agree that zooming into the image with no processor is fruitless.

I chose to go down the route of buying an AV amplifier with a worthy processor for taking my Laserdisc analogue signal and upconverting it which has made a great difference for me.

Onkyo did a fantastic range of amplifiers a few years ago that had the Qdeo processor. Reserved currently for only their top of the line models. It does a great job and I highly recommend getting an older model with this feature.

That is interesting about your Onkyo AVR doing upconverting of the video signal. I just got some weeks ago a Sony DA3300ES AVR to replace the Sony DA2ES AVR I have had for a few years. The 3300 has 3-HDMI inputs and an output which the DA2ES lacked. Anyway, the 3300 has the Faroudja trademark on its front. The Faroudja brand is software to upconvert video signals. The 3300 can take (per the owner's manual) 480 and 720 lines and convert them to 1080. (I have not hooked up the 3300 yet so I cannot confirm this.) The 3300 can take the video signal from the composite or component inputs, do the upconversion and then digitize the signal so it can be put onto the HDMI output jack.

Has anyone used the 3300 AVR or a similar AVR with the Faroudja software installed? I am interested in the PQ results you obtained.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 23:39 
Second post
Second post

My previous AV was a Sony with the same processor, it was still good but I have to say that the Onkyo is better. It will Up convert to 4K if I want but I'm happy at 1080p. Or 1080i as I have it set.

It's the level of control of the video processor I find better than the Sony. It can shift the aspect from the amp or the resolution or even the video attributes of the image which is really handy

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 11:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Another recommendation here for Onkyo AVs that have Qdeo processors. I've got a TX-NR626 and the Qdeo does wonders for analogue picture quality. I have a 4K TV but I only use the Onkyo AV to upscale to 1080p, it does upscale to 4K but I get very odd results with that. If you turn off all the frame smoothing and noise reduction settings then you can get a really clean yet still analogue looking signal from laserdisc through my amp.

Page 2 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2