It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Secondhand thrift stores selling laserdiscs
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 00:21 
First post
First post

The number of LDs mixed in with your usual junk vinyl LPs has grown: First noticed this at a Salvation Army store in Astoria, Queens, NY. around a year ago where titles like "The Crying Game" & "In The Name Of The Father" are still selling for $2.99. I noticed that there appears to be at least one other buyer besides myself, when several Bruce Lee & Next Generation Star Trek titles that I passed over were gone upon my subsequent visit.

More recently I came across an entire plastic bin of LDs in the basement of a Goodwill Thrift store a couple of blocks from the aforementioned Sally’s with a great mix of mainstream & more unusual titles including a bunch of Criterion releases I haven’t watched yet. I've donated many of my purchases back to these stores, but I’ll be holding on to a Betty Boop anthology & “Cartoons That Time Forgot From The Van Beuren Studio” [both with nice audio & image quality]. Sorry I didn’t grab “Bambi”, thinking it would still be there if I waited, but some other person didn't deliberate. During my last visit, there was still a boxed set from “I Claudius” [box in terrible shape] if anyone's interested. Finding high quality LDs for low prices has made this hobby a lot more fun.

Post subject: Re: Secondhand thrift stores selling laserdiscs
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 08:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

That "I, Claudius" box set was actually one of the first LaserDisc packages I picked up -- from a Savers here in Reno!

I've gotten a large quantity of discs from thrift stores, including some Criterion discs. I've seen a small handful of late DiscoVision titles, but most of what I find tends to be late 80s to mid-90s. I also see them at Goodwill now and then, which is where I picked up my main player, a Pioneer Elite CLD-59.

I also bought a bunch of CEDs from that same Savers store, including a sealed copy of "Back to the Future"! Those ended up getting sold because my CED player has never worked.

Players: Pioneer Elite CLD-59, Pioneer VP-1000

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 16:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

living out in the boonies as i do, i seldom see LDs available anywhere in the wild locally.

once, about 8 or 9 years ago, at a VALUE VILLAGE in KENNEWICK, WA. the closest real city i have, i found copies of BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER KWAI and "A VIDEO STANDARD"

i wasn't all too interested in war films then, so passed up KWAI, and grabbed STANDARD, both were like a couple bucks each, IIRC.

more recently, perhaps 5 years or so back, my local GW had like half-a-hundred LDs out of nowhere, a buck or so each.
one was the late-80's Don Johnson film "DEAD BANG" the rest were throwaway PLAYBOY VIDEO CENTERFOLD-type discs.

BANG was the only one i was mildly interested in, but, with my very limited LD shelf space, i ended up putting it back on the shelf.

most recently, about a year back, again, at my local GW, was an early FOX/MAGNETIC VIDEO edition of PATTON.
classic as that is, and early LD pressing as it was, i nabbed it at the buck or two that it was...

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 16:59 
True fan
True fan

I don't find them very often in thrift stores anymore (I go to about 14 every Thursday) but when they show up there are usually a fair number of them. I have made a few good scores (most notably a copy of the Matrix and 2 copies of Sleepy Hollow) - but mostly good solid (if more common) stuff to round out my collection. The last batch I found included a copy of the gold box T2 set.

But they haven't been showing up as much lately. Someone is buying them though (if they are cheap) even the crummiest of stuff is gone when I return the next week.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 03:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Goes to show ...... One just never knows what may be found at a thrift store ..........

Pearls in the mud ........

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]