It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:37

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Listening to Sensurround Laserdiscs
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 23:20 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I own 3 laserdiscs with Sensurround, Earthquake, Rollercoaster and Midway.

What is the best way to listen to these discs ? I have read through the forum, but I am still confused to how to get the best out of these discs ?

Do you require a DBX II Noise Reduction system and pass the analogue audio output from the laserdisc through it ?

Or can you use a standard dolby decoder that you may have on your AMP ?

I just want to hear the subwoofer kick into action with these discs, but at the moment it is nothing like I was expecting, so clearly I need to configure my system differently for Sensurround.

Anything else I watch on my system is exactly as I would expect, I just can't seem to get much action from the SW with the above.

Any advice appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Listening to Sensurround Laserdiscs
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 23:29 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Any receiver with Dolby Surround will work since that's what the LD is coded for.

For the Sensurround, according to the descriptor on the LDDb page for Earthquake you'll need a subwoofer than can produce sub 30Hz tones. Most good subs can go sub 25Hz. So if have a decent surround system (any of the ones that do Dolby Digital, will do Dolby Matrix Surround) and a decent subwoofer, you're good to go.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 04:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

thecollector wrote:

What is the best way to listen to these discs ? I have read through the forum, but I am still confused to how to get the best out of these discs ?

Do you require a DBX II Noise Reduction system and pass the analogue audio output from the laserdisc through it ?

I just want to hear the subwoofer kick into action with these discs, but at the moment it is nothing like I was expecting, so clearly I need to configure my system differently for Sensurround.

Anything else I watch on my system is exactly as I would expect, I just can't seem to get much action from the SW with the above.

Any advice appreciated.

DBX II was only used on films after Earthquake - the trailer on the widescreen Midway LaserDisc is in undecoded Sensurround and sounds amazing when decoded and fed thru a sub that can do loud infrasonic bass. Sensurround's cut off point was 16 Hz at 110-120db and a control box in the theater activated the effects for Earthquake and was then modified to produce front/back effects for the later films. Only Earthquake was recorded in stereo and only the digital sound Pan/scan LD has the effects encoded correctly. But to really reproduce Sensurround, you need horn loaded subs to move the quantity of infrasonic air required - no modern theater system comes anywhere close to recreating the effect Sensurround achieved. Read my Wikipedia entry on it to get the most info. It was an incredible special effect that achieved a sense of participation that's never been equaled. The horns were gigantic and used huge horn mouth extenders to couple into the theater walls to extend the bass - it was amazing. In most theaters seats had to be removed in the back rows to accommodate the rear horns and there were front horns too. In some theaters the back corner horns were stacked 16 feet high.

BTW, the THX AC-3 LaserDisc of Alien is the experimental Sensurround mix that Fox was considering licensing, but went with Dolby instead. MCA was attempting to sell Sensurround as a hi fidelity theatrical sound system, but failed.

BTW, for the Midway LaserDisc trailer, feed the audio from the LaserDisc player into the DBX II decoder and then feed that into your receiver/pro Logic processor. The dialog will come from the center speaker and the Sensurround FX from the sub. You may want to set your main speakers to wide so the films soundtrack isn't reproduced through the sub - only Sensurround rumble and explosions should come from the sub, not music. The DVD is the NON Sensurround trailer while the Blu-ray has the undecoded Sensurround trailer like the LaserDisc. Dual trailers were made for theaters that did or didn't have Sensurround installed.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 09:44 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thanks for the replies.

That information is interesting and helpful.

I may try and get a hold of a DBX II - they always seem to be listed on eBay so if a cheap one comes up, I may be tempted!

I did not know that the AC-3 laserdisc of Alien had an experimental Sensurround track, I may look out for that.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 11:06 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

disclord wrote:
thecollector wrote:

Any advice appreciated.

DBX II was only used on films after Earthquake - the trailer on the widescreen Midway LaserDisc is in undecoded Sensurround and sounds amazing when decoded and fed thru a sub that can do loud infrasonic bass. Sensurround's cut off point was 16 Hz at 110-120db and a control box in the theater activated the effects for Earthquake and was then modified to produce front/back effects for the later films. Only Earthquake was recorded in stereo and only the digital sound Pan/scan LD has the effects encoded correctly. But to really reproduce Sensurround, you need horn loaded subs to move the quantity of infrasonic air required - no modern theater system comes anywhere close to recreating the effect Sensurround achieved. Read my Wikipedia entry on it to get the most info. It was an incredible special effect that achieved a sense of participation that's never been equaled. The horns were gigantic and used huge horn mouth extenders to couple into the theater walls to extend the bass - it was amazing. In most theaters seats had to be removed in the back rows to accommodate the rear horns and there were front horns too. In some theaters the back corner horns were stacked 16 feet high.

BTW, the THX AC-3 LaserDisc of Alien is the experimental Sensurround mix that Fox was considering licensing, but went with Dolby instead. MCA was attempting to sell Sensurround as a hi fidelity theatrical sound system, but failed.

BTW, for the Midway LaserDisc trailer, feed the audio from the LaserDisc player into the DBX II decoder and then feed that into your receiver/pro Logic processor. The dialog will come from the center speaker and the Sensurround FX from the sub. You may want to set your main speakers to wide so the films soundtrack isn't reproduced through the sub - only Sensurround rumble and explosions should come from the sub, not music. The DVD is the NON Sensurround trailer while the Blu-ray has the undecoded Sensurround trailer like the LaserDisc. Dual trailers were made for theaters that did or didn't have Sensurround installed.

I asked the question a few weeks that went unanswered. Which "dbx II"? or do all models that bare the "dbx II" will do it?

This one (oh yes this one looks nice)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DBX-II-128-Dy ... 27ced92096

This one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DBX-II-122-La ... 27cf7f18b7

This one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DBX-224X-Type ... 2a22110e14

I like these ones they'll look cool
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DBX-942A-2x-a ... 27d36ac4a2

And so on down the list...

Also any special set-up should it be fitted at the line output of the Lt-Rt or the sub bass and should the voltage output have specific level so it triggers the dbx II off with the correct values regardless of the fader setting.

Would the voltage need to be a certain specific level so that it can active the dbx II without distorting the signal.

I don't know I have never used a dbx II before and wouldn't know what to expect from it, but I do catch on. ;)

disclord, you need to update the status on this as your in the authority on Sensurround. Which Pan & Scan version is it again?
Earthquake (1974) [10002]

Earthquake (1974) [10-002]

Quote:
"Before THX: The Cinema Shaking Technology of Sensurround"
http://www.tested.com/tech/455667-thx-c ... nsurround/

Once the room showing Earthquake started rumbling, everyone in the screening room next door panicked and fled the theater.

:lol:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 14:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sorry I didn't answer your question about the DBX II units - I don't know how I missed it.

I own both the DBX 128 and the 224 and both are great units, but I prefer the 128 since it can do infinite compression and something like 1:2.5 expansion in addition to the DBX II NR encoding and decoding - the 224 is just an NR encoder/decoder and has a DBX II LP mode.

DBX II is not a level sensitive system like any of the Dolby systems or CX NR so there's no voltage levels, calibration or anything like that to worry about - its decibel linear compression so it will always track. The DBX II units do have input and output level adjustments on them, but that's just to level match with your other equipment volume levels - it has nothing to do with encoding or decoding.

The LaserDisc to get for Earthquake is the full cover p/s digital sound edition 10002, NOT the DiscoVision one. (If you listen carefully to the stereo P/s version, you can hear the 25/35Hz control tones turn on and off to control the Sensurround - Universal used an original Earthquake control box to add the rumble and surround encode the p/s LaserDisc, plus it has the 12kHz CinemaScope surround switching tone.) Sadly, the widescreen LaserDisc soundtrack isn't nearly as good - universal remixed it for some reason. Just remember that Earthquake didn't use DBX, the rumble was generated electronically in the theater and its level controlled by the Sensurround control box. Only the WS LaserDisc of Midway's trailer is DBX encoded. The DBX 128 does work well on Earthquake when used as an expander to increase the levels of the rumble. (The 128 is 'divided' into two sections, expansion/compression and noise reduction encoding/decoding, plus it has a switch for DBX II encoded LP's and both sections can be used alone or together)

If you buy the 128 or 224, I have the manuals for them - but go for the 128 if at all possible.

The 942’s are late model units and had to be mounted in a DBX rack box to work.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 15:39 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

:clap: great that clears that up, cheers. :)

I'll keep a look out for a cheap going one as they are still price moderately high but I guess worth it. ;)

dbx 128 and dbx 224 I've placed them and full screen cover p/s that has to suck in p/s. Maybe burn the scope version to pc and sync it up with Sensurround version. What was Universal who ever they hired to make that decision change. :crazy:

I could put up with a panned and scanned release for a short time. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 17:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:

I'll keep a look out for a cheap going one as they are still price moderately high but I guess worth it. ;)

dbx 128 and dbx 224 I've placed them and full screen cover p/s that has to suck in p/s. Maybe burn the scope version to pc and sync it up with Sensurround version. What was Universal who ever they hired to make that decision change. :crazy:

The P/S and WS LaserDisc's don't stay in sync for more than about 10 min at a time. And you don't need any DBX decoding for Earthquake it never used DBX II encoding in any form - just Dolby Surround decoding and maybe the 128 to expand the dynamic range. Only mod-II and Mod-III Sensurround (Midway, Rollercoaster and Battlestar) used DBX II and on LaserDisc, only the Midway trailer us un-DBX decoded Sensurround. Sadly, Earthquake is one of the first 4-track mag stereo films mixed with mono dialog. They did it to make it easier to mix with all the sound effects, control tones and rumble. Plus, the center channel was redirected into the Sensurround horns to create a surround effect and the mag surround track wasn't used in Sensurround installations - only non-Sensurround stereo presentations used the mag surround, but happily, the Uni mixers used it on the P/S LaserDisc.

I gotta get me the R2 DVD because I keep hearing its mixed correctly.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 17:09 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

disclord wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:

The P/S and WS LaserDisc's don't stay in sync for more than about 10 min at a time. And you don't need any DBX decoding for Earthquake it never used DBX II encoding in any form - just Dolby Surround decoding and maybe the 128 to expand the dynamic range. Only mod-II and Mod-III Sensurround (Midway, Rollercoaster and Battlestar) used DBX II and on LaserDisc, only the Midway trailer us un-DBX decoded Sensurround. Sadly, Earthquake is one of the first 4-track mag stereo films mixed with mono dialog. They did it to make it easier to mix with all the sound effects, control tones and rumble. Plus, the center channel was redirected into the Sensurround horns to create a surround effect and the mag surround track wasn't used in Sensurround installations - only non-Sensurround stereo presentations used the mag surround, but happily, the Uni mixers used it on the P/S LaserDisc.

I got get myself the region 1 DVD pressings and go though each and one until I'm blue in the face.

So why don't you buy the R2 DVD now!

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 17:25 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I just bought this R1 DVD a few minutes ago so now you have to buy the R2-DVD. :mrgreen:
It should be rumbling here beside the R2-DVD and Laserdisc next week.

I'm not crazy about the artwork. and actual Earthquake picture I think late 80's where the bridge collapsed. :( Well it looks the same.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 19:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:
I just bought this R1 DVD a few minutes ago so now you have to buy the R2-DVD. :mrgreen:
It should be rumbling here beside the R2-DVD and Laserdisc next week.

I'm not crazy about the artwork. and actual Earthquake picture I think late 80's where the bridge collapsed. :( Well it looks the same.

The 5.1 on the DVD is mixed wrong with no surrounds (wait till you compare it to the P/S Dolby Surround encoded LD), the so-called 3.0 Sensurround track is nothing but mono 3 track with rumble that doesn't belong. I'll need to buy the R2 DVD from Amazon UK now - a fellow Sensurround friend in Australia says the R2 4.1 mix is really good, although with PAL's 4% speed up. Too bad the BD, which looks amazing, didn't get a correct audio mix or the Sensurround demo reel made for theaters and the Sensurround trailers. Universal has a lot of supplementary material for Earthquake they could have used for the DVD and BD.

The original artwork was wonderful - I hate that Uni changed it. The bridge collapse image is a brilliant Albert Wittlock matte painting.

Let me know about the surround mix on the R2 as compared to the R1.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 19:49 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

disclord wrote:

I'm starting to think that R1 isn't the be all and end all. The Hindenburg? R1 p+s and Dolby Stereo 2.0. R2 very nice widescreen transfer and 5.1 (though it states 2.0 on the case). So I'm guessing Anchor Bay UK got hold of the 70mm 6-track and produced a 5.1 mix. Seeing as the 70mm mix was a spread from the 4 track you aren't going to get / miss the additional discrete channels but just how discrete it is I'm not sure. I'm almost inclined to think they've somehow shoehorned it in without any messing around other than redirecting some of the low end to .1. The dialogue seems to be a combination of spread across the front evenly with a slight bit of directionality, ie it isn't locked to l,c or r but is across all with some slight prominence to the relevant side. Occasional use of the surrounds for music and sound fx with the twanging tension wires ricocheting around the speakers in one sequence.

Want an original Earthquake key art cover for your blu ray? Go on bluray.com and pm Nissen for his Earthquake custom cover - perfect and exactly what the studios should be doing.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 20:10 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tim_p wrote:
disclord wrote:

I'm starting to think that R1 isn't the be all and end all. The Hindenburg? R1 p+s and Dolby Stereo 2.0. R2 very nice widescreen transfer and 5.1 (though it states 2.0 on the case). So I'm guessing Anchor Bay UK got hold of the 70mm 6-track and produced a 5.1 mix. Seeing as the 70mm mix was a spread from the 4 track you aren't going to get / miss the additional discrete channels but just how discrete it is I'm not sure. I'm almost inclined to think they've somehow shoehorned it in without any messing around other than redirecting some of the low end to .1. The dialogue seems to be a combination of spread across the front evenly with a slight bit of directionality, ie it isn't locked to l,c or r but is across all with some slight prominence to the relevant side. Occasional use of the surrounds for music and sound fx with the twanging tension wires ricocheting around the speakers in one sequence.

Want an original Earthquake key art cover for your blu ray? Go on bluray.com and pm Nissen for his Earthquake custom cover - perfect and exactly what the studios should be doing.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... ount=13463

The cover looks great. :clap: I like that its kept in the same way as the USA poster.

What software free download are they using to create the custom covers? I have done art graph design before but not since 1990. I rather like the UK quad poster look.

Last edited by laserbite34 on 12 Jul 2013, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 20:14 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

disclord wrote:

The 5.1 on the DVD is mixed wrong with no surrounds (wait till you compare it to the P/S Dolby Surround encoded LD), the so-called 3.0 Sensurround track is nothing but mono 3 track with rumble that doesn't belong. I'll need to buy the R2 DVD from Amazon UK now - a fellow Sensurround friend in Australia says the R2 4.1 mix is really good, although with PAL's 4% speed up. Too bad the BD, which looks amazing, didn't get a correct audio mix or the Sensurround demo reel made for theaters and the Sensurround trailers. Universal has a lot of supplementary material for Earthquake they could have used for the DVD and BD.

The original artwork was wonderful - I hate that Uni changed it. The bridge collapse image is a brilliant Albert Wittlock matte painting.

Is there anything else about that you haven't mentioned? What about the Sensurround "Attention!" is that included on the R1 DVD. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 20:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tim_p wrote:
disclord wrote:

The R2 Hindenburg is anamorphic WS with the original discrete mix? I'm gonna have to buy it. The R1 is just the lbx LaserDisc transfer with massive edge enhancement and the 4-track mixed to Dolby MP. I highly doubt the R2 used the 70mm mix since it would just be an inferior spread out remix from the original 4-track - the LFE would be derived from the 4-track because 70mm Dolby with baby boom wasn't used by Universal at the time. The Hindenburg was supposed to be released in Sensurround but all the Sensurround equipped theaters were booked. Hindenburg has a superb mix, even in Dolby Surround, especially when up inside the ship - hearing the engines from the surrounds and all the tension wire creaking - plus brilliant FX.

The accuracy of the sets made for the movie were so exact that even experts can't tell them apart from the real Hindenburg. Even the walls in the dining room and promenade were made from pig skin and the walls to the cabins were foam and linen, just like the real airship. The piano was also lightweight duraluminum and pig skin, but it was historically incorrect in th film since the piano wasn't on the last voyage.

The Hindenburg was built for helium, but when the US wouldn't release any, it was retrofitted for hydrogen. The original helium design used double gas cells, a large helium cell with a hydrogen cell inside - that way, hydrogen could be vented as needed to trim the ship, etc, while conserving the helium which was too expensive to vent. Plus, the helium kept oxygen out of the hydrogen and actually extinguishes hydrogen fires. The Zeppelin corp tried the dual cell approach, but then the helium couldn't be obtained so the ship was rebuilt and since hydrogen has more lift than helium, additional passenger cabins were added.

Sorry for the derail, but I love rigid airships and have tons of books about them.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 20:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:
disclord wrote:

Is there anything else about that you haven't mentioned? What about the Sensurround "Attention!" is that included on the R1 DVD. :mrgreen:

No, the Attention! Prolog isn't included - it wasn't the same as used on posters - it was custom and stated that pregnant women shouldn't view the film and viewers might be left with temporary hearing loss but it was not permanent.

One interesting unrelated thing - the awful anaglyph 3D Friday The 13th 3D Blu-ray has the Attention prolog that the first 10 minutes are not in 3D. I haven't seen that since the original theatrical 3D screening. Even the 3D VHD didn't use it. I so hope Paramount releases the film in true 1080P frame sequential 3D.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 21:32 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

disclord wrote:

No, the Attention! Prolog isn't included - it wasn't the same as used on posters - it was custom and stated that pregnant women shouldn't view the film and viewers might be left with temporary hearing loss but it was not permanent.

One interesting unrelated thing - the awful anaglyph 3D Friday The 13th 3D Blu-ray has the Attention prolog that the first 10 minutes are not in 3D. I haven't seen that since the original theatrical 3D screening. Even the 3D VHD didn't use it. I so hope Paramount releases the film in true 1080P frame sequential 3D.

That's just wrong as that is the highlight of the film. I guess the bluray doesn't included it otherwise you would have mentioned or taken picture off the TV to show.

Universal in my books fail. :thumbdown: They'd rather milk us over instead.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2013, 15:24 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I never get tired of listening to the John Williams opening titles. :)

Earthquake (1974) starts on Cinemax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIghnVlktpA

But having seen two films in early February 1975 one other being The Towering Inferno, at the same cinema with EARTHQUAKE above in screen 1 while I was in screen 2 downstairs. What scores do you think sound great Towering Inferno or Earthquake, both of which scored by John Williams.

Between the intermission on The Towering Inferno, this where the gas is leaking in stairwell just as Newman, falls down it cuts to (intermission for 8mins or so) between that time I heard EARTHQUAKE rumbling around everywhere defused and confused as to where it was coming from? Then not soon after Towering Inferno started up again.

Isoalted socre.
The Towering Inferno(1974) - MainTitle Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D84hNvh0zSw

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2013, 17:20 
True fan
True fan

It's a bummer that the best audio track is on the P&S LD version. I don't do P&S.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2013, 19:01 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

disclord wrote:
tim_p wrote:

The R2 Hindenburg is anamorphic WS with the original discrete mix? I'm gonna have to buy it. The R1 is just the lbx LaserDisc transfer with massive edge enhancement and the 4-track mixed to Dolby MP. I highly doubt the R2 used the 70mm mix since it would just be an inferior spread out remix from the original 4-track - the LFE would be derived from the 4-track because 70mm Dolby with baby boom wasn't used by Universal at the time. The Hindenburg was supposed to be released in Sensurround but all the Sensurround equipped theaters were booked. Hindenburg has a superb mix, even in Dolby Surround, especially when up inside the ship - hearing the engines from the surrounds and all the tension wire creaking - plus brilliant FX.

See, it's that flippin' IMDB again. I know in your great Amazon review you'd referred to 4-track but there's no mention of it on said 'reference' site. Which is why I said the 70mm would have been spread from the 4-track (as it was a blow up), kind of bypassing a 4-track stereo release, which doesn't make sense I suppose and is contrary to your review. And on having another listen today I don't know what mix it is. So this thread doesn't go off the rails anymore than necessary I'll pm you some notes I've taken and maybe we can compare? With the disclaimer that I'm watching it on my trusty 32" CRT I can confirm the source print and mastering are very good.

Check this guy's review out...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3UHHZSG ... &store=dvd

Laserbite - the templates for blu ray covers are readily available. Software is more than likely going to be pro with some of these people so something like Adobe InDesign. There is free software out there but I don't know any to recommend.

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next