It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:33

Page 7 of 13 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant
PostPosted: 19 May 2015, 00:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Does anyone know if the CC 3 disc release of Bram Stoker's Dracula contains extras exclusive to the LD?

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 16:21 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

brmanuk wrote:
Does anyone know if the CC 3 disc release of Bram Stoker's Dracula contains extras exclusive to the LD?

The commentary track for one

PostPosted: 27 May 2015, 04:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

dvdmike007 wrote:
brmanuk wrote:

The commentary track for one

Ok well I checked the disc and most of teh features are exclusive to that edition including the charmingly primitive Editing Suite where you can check rushes and program your player to play the scene from your chosen shots :)

It also has an isolated score, the 'banned' teaser and SO MANY NOTES :crazy:

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 14:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I want to ask for the film "Journey to the Center of the Earth" from 1959. There has benn a remastered LD version with Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound:

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) [0897585]

I can not find any DVD or BD in the USA with 5.1 sound, only with Dolby Surround Sound. Can anybody confirm this? If so this LD would also be significant...

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 15:29 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Twilight time has it released in dts-hd ma 4.0 and dts-hd ma 2.0. Apparently this comes from the same master laserdisc used. This bluray is oop and very expensive.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 02:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

aaryon01 wrote:
I want to ask for the film "Journey to the Center of the Earth" from 1959. There has benn a remastered LD version with Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound:

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/11004/089 ... -the-Earth

I can not find any DVD or BD in the USA with 5.1 sound, only with Dolby Surround Sound. Can anybody confirm this? If so this LD would also be significant...

Looking at the back cover, there is no mention of 5.1 nor AC-3. So, perhaps that disc does not actually have an AC-3 track? Who has the disc and can confirm?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 02:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Dolby digital on the lower left side. Dolby digital was exclusively used for 5.1 tracks for ld. Only in DVD era we saw Dolby Digital 2.0, 4.0 and so on.

It is sourced from a 1968 stereo master. They restored and remixed it into 4.0 in 90s which means the rears are mono on this Ld. The same 4.0 master is used for the bd in 4.0 form. Any receiver detects this duplicate rear mono surrounds and derive bass from the fronts.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 09:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Thank you for the information. As the LD cover has the Dolby Digital logo and at lddb this disc is shown as Dolby Digital 5.1 I believed it would really have a 5.1 soundtrack...

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 15:07 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

As far as I can tell, the DVD release of An American Tail: Fievel Goes West is at 1.33:1 ratio (not sure if open-matte or cropped) while the Laserdisc release is widescreen.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2015, 01:35 
I know you have listed Jaws... but would be nice to add that a lot of the extra content on the LD can't be found on the dvd nor bluerays. The documentary is also a nice feature.

Edit: talking about the box set.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 05:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Muppet Christmas Carol, The (1992) [1729 AS]

This is the only widescreen release to include the deleted scene "When Love is Gone."

Source: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/The_Muppet ... rol_(video)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2016, 22:22 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Not that anyone should care about this movie, but the LD for "Hideaway" (1995) [73466] is apparently the only widescreen version of this movie available. All DVD releases appear to be full-screen only.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 04:24 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

This one might be worthy of the list. "Discursions: Architecture Machine Group", released in 1983, primarily to educational institutions.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/submit/54 ... hine-Group

I picked up a copy of this a few weeks ago and it appears to be the only LD I know of that has data encoded in the video portion of the disc.

The title was released by a research group at MIT as a demonstration of the capabilities of laserdisc and includes mostly video and stills of various research projects having to do with computer interfaces. One of the chapters has academic papers about the projects encoded as data in the video track. Each paper takes up 2-3 video still frames - the video looks similar to the digital audio recorders marketed by Sony and others at that time, with blocks of white and black data on the screen.

In the database listing, I included a link to an article that has details about the technical aspects of the disc and the contents. According to the article, one hundred copies were initially pressed for a demo at a conference and a further order was placed for 900 additional copies. However, I've not been able to find it listed in any library collections through WordCat - I'm not sure if the full run of 1,000 copies was actually pressed.

I wonder if MIT ever digitized the video and still segments to preserve the contents.

My favorite segments from the disc include one where they show a computerized answering machine that lets you sort not only by who the call is from, but who they are, and their message to you. There's also another segment that looks like Google Maps, which used an array of laserdisc players with encoded 16mm films to let you drive around Aspen, Colorado.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 07:12 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The first DVD release of "Hideaway" had both widescreen and pan and scan versions on it. (I liked that movie when it came out, I bought the LD but never got the DVD.) Sony went through an insane phase of re-issuing its 2-sided DVD titles as 1-sided discs and leaving out one of the formats, usually the widescreen version was the one that got booted. I was absolutely furious about this- Sony did an OK job with DVD its first few years, but this showed that they did not know what the hell they were doing, and I'm not surprised that they've given their own Blu-Ray format lackluster support (licensing some titles out to bargain labels or limited-edition mail-order-only Twilight Time discs.)

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 19:24 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

8traxrule wrote:
The first DVD release of "Hideaway" had both widescreen and pan and scan versions on it. (I liked that movie when it came out, I bought the LD but never got the DVD.)

Thanks for the info. I assume you mean that it had fullscreen on one side of the DVD, and widescreen on the other? I picked up an early version (apparently not early enough) and it was only P&S, and by all online indications it appears to only exist in fullscreen form.

(If you don't mind, what year was the dual-format release that you have? And I assume the widescreen wasn't anamorphic?)

Another title that I believe only exists on laserdisc (EDIT: and VHS, I suppose), and hasn't yet been mentioned here, is "Wavelength" (1983) [40185]. It's a neat little low-budget, obscure, indie sci-fi flick with an appropriately spacey score by Tangerine Dream. It was a much better movie than I thought it would be, although you have to watch it in a forgiving mood, as the movie itself, at least on the LD, is a mess. I suspect the film was shot open-matte, because you can see boom microphones everywhere, yet if you crop the top/bottom to simulate a widescreen aspect ratio, the image looks way too tight, as if it were already cut via P&S. So I don't know the full story there.

Last edited by megarat on 02 Feb 2016, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 19:58 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I read that "screamers" very early US pressing had WS on one side and P&S on the other. I never saw one like that. WS DVD is available in R2.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 23:26 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

substance wrote:
I read that "screamers" very early US pressing had WS on one side and P&S on the other. I never saw one like that.

Are you referring to the DVD or LD?

I see (older) DVDs all the time with widescreen on one side of the disc, and fullscreen on the other. They're identified by the small print on the hub label.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 01:12 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Dvd

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2016, 02:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

[quote="coolcatdaddy"]This one might be worthy of the list. "Discursions: Architecture Machine Group", released in 1983, primarily to educational institutions.

I appreciate your listing this - I'm always fascinated when someone expands a technology's capabilities beyond 'stock'.

My plant had a 'test pressing' wherein Boeing or the like was gonna' 'flowchart' our troubleshooting process, and you can see a 'random' tech saying "This thing sucks!"

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016, 09:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Pokemon movie from 1998 on LD is the theatrical cut. The DVD and Blu-Ray have been altered with a lot of hand drawing traditional animation being replaced with CGI.

Page 7 of 13 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next