It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:55

Page 1 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Recording CDV's on a modern CD/DVD Burner
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 02:12 
True fan
True fan

Is it actually technologically possible to burn CDV (CD Video) LD's on a modern computer with a modern CD/DVD burner? I would like to know, because it would be awesome if that was possible. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Recording CDV's on a modern CD/DVD Burner
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 03:24 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I dont think so but it would be cool. Imagine star wars on 5" cdv it would be like 30 discs:)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 03:26 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I wonder if those m series pioneer laserdisc players with 5 disc carousel for red book cd playback would play cd v discs one after other.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 16:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Don't think so. CD burners generally read the data and transfer it to the new disc. Since CD burners can't read the analog video data, they can't transfer it.

Now if they merely read the topography of the pits and lands, and then burned it to the new disc, it would work. But I don't know of any burner that does that.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 16:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

While CD and LD work on the same optical principles, LD's pit size is variable, while CD pit sizes are discrete (IIRC 3 to 11 'ticks' for each low or high) Theoretically you could burn a CDV on a CD burner, but you might have to work around most/all of the circuit board. A lot of work.

Basically CD's are designed to work around the timing imprecisions, LD's are designed for them.

Probably the best way to make something new and LD-like would be to run component video through a SuperNTSC encoder (or the software Megapixie is working on), then digitize the composite signal off that at 4fsc/10bit or so - and perhaps ironically store it on a BD-R. Only even vaguely worth doing if you're using a CRT TV. ;)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 18:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I believe it can be done, but the degree of hacking required would be considerable, some of it not unlikely on the hardware level. It would also probably have to be recorded at a fraction of real-time, in order to get good results. It would be necessary, I think, to compute the waveform (video carrier plus EFM audio), then do the chopping of the waveform in software, producing pit lengths discretized at, say, 8 bits. If the drive is capable of high-speed CD recording, then it probably has sufficient timing accuracy to write LD pits when running at, say, 1x CD speed. So that 5 minutes of video would probably require ten times that long to write.

And, yes, a Pioneer LD/CD player with a carousel will play CDVs in succession. How to set it up to play only the video parts, I'm not 100% sure, but there may be a multi-disc "program" function which would do the job.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 20:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'm pretty sure it's physically possible, but you're going to need a guy who knows absolutely everything about CDROM drive firmware to make it happen, at the very least.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 14:03 
True fan
True fan

tpgb12 wrote:
Is it actually technologically possible to burn CDV (CD Video) LD's on a modern computer with a modern CD/DVD burner? I would like to know, because it would be awesome if that was possible. Thanks.

Why use a CD/DVD burner? Once your on a HDD, your home free, do the transfer with a capture card and rework the material in Adobe. Done, easy!!! 8-)

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 15:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have actually always been very intrigued by the question whether it would be able to rip the video track from a CDV
to the computer. That would be really awesome. But since the video is stored in an analogue way there is no solution.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 15:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

On my Pioneer cld-3030 I have a button on the player cd part/ video part and will let you jump back and forth between the two. Maybe the carousel players have a button like that too, and just play all the video parts.

Otherwise you could just program it to play the last chapter of each CDV disc (which is the video track)

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 15:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

vinylcollector wrote:
On my Pioneer cld-3030 I have a button on the player cd part/ video part and will let you jump back and forth between the two. Maybe the carousel players have a button like that too, and just play all the video parts.

Otherwise you could just program it to play the last chapter of each CDV disc (which is the video track)

Doesn't every LD player automatically play the video track first and not the 1st audio track ? At least my player does.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 17:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

elviscaprice wrote:
Why use a CD/DVD burner? Once your on a HDD, your home free, do the transfer with a capture card and rework the material in Adobe. Done, easy!!! 8-)

Once again, totally missing the point.

If we can make this work, it means an opportunity for folks to create something at home which will play on their (& others') LD players. That's something that has never existed before! It's also potentially a fun way to share home movie clips, et cetera. We could even think of having an LDDb/LD-fan newsletter circulating on VSD. Replication is fun to consider also, but while the plants can press CDV-singles, making the master is the challenging part.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 18:09 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

publius wrote:
elviscaprice wrote:

Once again, totally missing the point

Just ignore him.

He's going to keep spewing about putting videos on HDD like him because he's so cool whenever he can, even though no one's asking about that crap.

So just ignore him

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 18:49 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

publius wrote:
elviscaprice wrote:

Once again, totally missing the point.

If we can make this work, it means an opportunity for folks to create something at home which will play on their (& others') LD players. That's something that has never existed before! It's also potentially a fun way to share home movie clips, et cetera. We could even think of having an LDDb/LD-fan newsletter circulating on VSD. Replication is fun to consider also, but while the plants can press CDV-singles, making the master is the challenging part.

Yes burn SW on 5" CDV discs. 5 Disc carousel player will be like a single side player. 5 disc platter=5x5mins=25min analog video:)

How is the audio stored on the Video track? is it digital PCM or Analog? If digital we can probably implement DTS. If analog, AC-3:)

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 19:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I can't see using this format for movie-type things, but for hobbyist uses it has its appeal.

The CDV-Single Video Part is formatted just like any other LD, but it uses digital audio exclusively.

Somewhere, there is a reference which shows what subcodes you have to write in the table-of-contents to identify the disc as a CDV-Single, so that the player knows to look for the Video Part.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 19:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

confederate wrote:
I have actually always been very intrigued by the question whether it would be able to rip the video track from a CDV
to the computer. That would be really awesome. But since the video is stored in an analogue way there is no solution.

It could be done, with a similar amount of work as the burning modifications needed (a lot) but it makes a lot more sense to just use a quality player and capture card. You'd get better results with a lot less work.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 19:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

elahrairrah wrote:
publius wrote:
elviscaprice wrote:

Once again, totally missing the point

Just ignore him.

He's going to keep spewing about putting videos on HDD like him because he's so cool whenever he can, even though no one's asking about that crap.

So just ignore him

I'm not sure if you guys know this or not, BUT YOU CAN CAPTURE ALL YOUR LDs ON YOUR HARD DRIVE!!!

Rip those discs and sell them on to the next moron. LD is for idiots!

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 21:43 
True fan
True fan

Oh my god, I just realized I made a stupid mistake. I meant to ask if it was possible to burn a CDV (CD Video) disc using a modern computer and CD/DVD burner to playback on an LD player.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 22:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tpgb12 wrote:
Oh my god, I just realized I made a stupid mistake. I meant to ask if it was possible to burn a CDV (CD Video) disc using a modern computer and CD/DVD burner to playback on an LD player.

That's what I've been assuming you meant.

There's no existing solution that I've ever heard of, & believe you me, I've looked. The closest I ever got was a rumour that some very early CD burners had a copy mode which would copy whatever pit pattern was on the disc, never mind if it was valid CD data, so that you could copy existing CDVs, but that was never verified.

But I do believe it possible to create such a solution. The first step would involve one of the folks on the forum here who is creating a software (computational) demodulator for the RF signal — turn that inside-out, & you can take video & audio data, & encode them into LD format. Of course things like a Philips code generator (as part of the video encoder) would have to be incorporated as well. Then it would be necessary to compute the pit lengths from the computed RF signal, & then to force the burner to burn those computed pits, by-passing the built-in modulation mode.

Not a small challenge, but probably surmountable.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 03:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It really depends on how difficult it would be to get a full raw mode on a cd-r or dvd-r drive... the first step of course would be ripping an existing CD Video disk. And the zeroth would be finding one that hasn't rotted, aparently ;)

Page 1 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next