It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 03:36

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Finally broke the 1300 barrier!
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 16:15 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Took another year to get another 84. Only ones that hit locally were all ones I had duplicates of. I found a scant few last summer in Rochester when my friend and I went there. I picked up a dozen or so obscure science education discs, most of which were not in the database, I don't remember if I was able to add them all, there were 2 copies of each so my friend got a copy of each too. He's up around 400 now in his collection. Took another ride to Rochester and found a bunch that I didn't have at a Goodwill out there and we're now at 1300+ (I think its 1302 or something like that, but I didn't add any of the new stuff to my database yet, my wife catagorized all them in a database I can use here at home to find movies but can't really translate it to the online database so I pretty much gave up on here). Next stop 1400!

Post subject: Re: Finally broke the 1300 barrier!
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 17:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good afternoon man114,

Well done that man.......Congratulations on passing the 1300 total.
Do you still have plenty of room left to store them?

It's good of your wife to help you index and so forth.

Apart from that how's life treating you?

Sincere Regards

:thumbup: :D

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2013, 02:13 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I actually bought some giant 6 foot tall record cabinets from a Sauder home furnishings that has since closed, they're both full but I don't have enough to attempt to locate a 3rd cabinet yet.

My wife got bored one day and decided to take them out of the cabinets and list what was on any given shelf, but they're not in particular order. So the list will be like "3rd left shelf" then list all the movies on that shelf. It is easily searched from the computer list, but it is not easy to translate to the LDDB. I could alphabetize them from the list but it would be a major undertaking, 1300 laserdiscs takes up a lot of room.

Nothing beats being able to pull movies out that have not yet had a DVD or Blu-ray release and watching them though.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2013, 02:39 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

if you have any LD that didn't make it to DVD or BD please help me with my list
Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant
thanks

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2013, 21:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Congrats on the 1300 mark. I also passed the 1300 mark about a month ago as well so I know the feeling! :)

You may want to put those in alphabetical order, if mine weren't, I don't think I would be able to find anything. Once I got past a few hundred I knew I had to arrange them as I was spending huge amounts of time just looking for the movie.

You may want to slowly enter them into LDDB as most likely it will have a lot more info about the specific disks you have than what is in your "home database" which sounds like titles and shelf location. You may want to get a barcode scanner, they don't cost that much on ebay and you can just scan the codes into lddb and it will the automatically add (will save you a lot of time typing in numbers!) to you collection. Older titles without bar codes you'll have to enter manually but they shouldn't be that many.

Once again, congrats on the 1300 achievement!

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2013, 01:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

HOLY S---, that's a lot of movies.
i bet many people are envying you, but congratulations.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2019, 06:04 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Don’t post much on the forum but the quest has continued, I’m up at around 1800 but it’s maybe 5-10 titles in an infrequent find these days.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 01:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Congrats. I've been debating on if I should start collecting anything I don't have, with the exception of keeping only the best pressing of a film.

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 05:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

man114 wrote:
Don’t post much on the forum but the quest has continued, I’m up at around 1800 but it’s maybe 5-10 titles in an infrequent find these days.

That question is, will any players survive for you to enjoy these titles long enough?
I wonder if someone can build a modern LD player like on kickstarter or something.

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 16:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have like 650 and while I love LD and enjoy my collection very much this thread reminds me of that guy who eats 75 pills from the GNC store every day and is still just a blob. Mass for the sake of mass will lead to a collection very diluted with garbage and impossible to move if you ever happen to leave LD as quickly as you entered it since even many well curated collections are completely valueless.

To be a Ferrari collector they can’t all be sitting outside on blocks. That’s just Mario the junk man and his Superfund site. You’re converting eBay fees into environmental/removal fees.

You will likely burn out at least one player just trying to watch each of those movies one time.

Congratulations!

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 22:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

1300 titles you actually want is epic. I have about 400 titles and have 100 or so on my wishlist. Then I'll be done. Looking to cull a few too.

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 22:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:
1300 titles you actually want is epic. I have about 400 titles and have 100 or so on my wishlist. Then I'll be done. Looking to cull a few too.

Hi forper,

that's around about the number I have (450-ish) with a few still to find, if I find all the other titles I am looking for which are mostly F1 LDs I would be sitting on 500-ish or so & that I think would be me but then things can pop up to add to that..... go figure.

Other than a few that I have kept simply for a sets inserts or the titles cover art most will be spun again in the future, others are spun on a fairly regular basis.

With 100 titles still to find I hope you bag a few soon, take it there are a few hard to find or "scarce" ones among them?

Good luck & happy hunting.

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 23:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:

I keep telling myself "only a few more" and then I end up buying a few, and then a few more, and a few more. Getting near 6000. I need help.

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 22:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

blam1 wrote:

I keep telling myself "only a few more" and then I end up buying a few, and then a few more, and a few more. Getting near 6000. I need help.[/quote]

I do get that, I just don't have the space.

I am sure I could get a bit out of hand & really have to practice restraint sometimes, funds can play a part in that though .

As long as you are happy & enjoy them then "help" is not required.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 10:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
forper wrote:

Hi forper,

that's around about the number I have (450-ish) with a few still to find, if I find all the other titles I am looking for which are mostly F1 LDs I would be sitting on 500-ish or so & that I think would be me but then things can pop up to add to that..... go figure.

Other than a few that I have kept simply for a sets inserts or the titles cover art most will be spun again in the future, others are spun on a fairly regular basis.

With 100 titles still to find I hope you bag a few soon, take it there are a few hard to find or "scarce" ones among them?

Good luck & happy hunting.

Thanks, you too.

I have waaay too many hobbies and only do an LD order every year or two. The last one was big, 40 titles or so from Japan.

I don't have many rare or expensive wants but shipping from the US and with our dollar in the toilet if I buy at the moment it's from Japan, which limits my wishlist hunting. I don't like Japanese releases of US movies, prefer the US release.

I think it comes down to limiting yourself. I need to focus, not in my amount of hobbies, but in the goals of each one.

I went through my LDDB wishlist and I cut it down to stuff that really means something to me. I used to have stuff like Mike the Wizard, the Squeeze LD of Terminator 2 and a lot of Hi-Vision stuff in there. That stuff would be nice to have if I was a millionaire but I gotta be realistic on my salary and just focus on stuff I really know and love. I don't even like Terminator 2 THAT much, and a good widescreen release will do me. I've never seen Mike the Wizard and it sounds really interesting but doesn't really MEAN anything to me.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 13:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
I went through my LDDB wishlist and I cut it down to stuff that really means something to me. I used to have stuff like Mike the Wizard, the Squeeze LD of Terminator 2 and a lot of Hi-Vision stuff in there. That stuff would be nice to have if I was a millionaire but I gotta be realistic on my salary and just focus on stuff I really know and love. I don't even like Terminator 2 THAT much, and a good widescreen release will do me. I've never seen Mike the Wizard and it sounds really interesting but doesn't really MEAN anything to me.

While I can say I owned at one time and enjoyed Mike the Wizard it really wasn't anything special, more of an animators film and
a public interest story about the little guy getting attacked by the large companies.

There are a lot of discs I have just removed from my wishlist too.
Really trying to focus on 3 categories in my collection.

Wish I could send people discs overseas with cheaper shipping but so it goes. I have a lot of common titles that will just sit
for 6 bucks and shipping will be over double that :evil:

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 15:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The Wizard of Speed and Time (actual name) is essential for fans of stop motion and optical FX from that period as well as people who like to see depictions or normal brown crappy West Hollywood on screen. :) I wouldn’t exactly find people in the street and try to convince them that they need to see the movie. Most people don’t care. I discovered it a long time ago in rental VHS so it’s a special movie for me.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 16:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Congrats on 1300. (Wish my GF was excited & helpful with my collection. #keeper :clap: )
Mailman arrived Wed & with that delivery & a *click* I seem to have gone to 701.
I think I'm going to have to start trimming out some of the vinyl that I don't care too much about if I'm going to ever see 800.
(although I do have 11 - 8" karaoke discs on the way; my 1st Karaoke's... :idea: mmmm, going to need a player)

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 01:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
The Wizard of Speed and Time (actual name) is essential for fans of stop motion and optical FX from that period

Yep, not really a fan, hey I like Harryhausen and the Rancor as much as anyone but I'm not studying it.

Quote:
as well as people who like to see depictions or normal brown crappy West Hollywood on screen. :)

I think this IS actually the main interest to me. I lived in the States in the '80s as a kid and footage of urban/suburban areas in the US during then has a huge appeal to me. Gleaming the Cube is an example, just to see the '80s strip malls with asian businesses then in SoCal is a draw, Australia had a few similar areas but not as nice as the ones in the US.

The US and Australian suburban life of the '80s was the peak of humanity imo. Big houses, big cars, low energy costs, only Dad had to work, good music, everything from games to anime to movies to fashion was fresh, new and exciting. Technically many people didn't have as much cash as they do now or the buying power for media and AV equipment but that was a limitation that bred refinement. You had to really think about what you would buy and it was an investment mentality, not a utilitarian one. now Canada and the UK didn't have that same image of paradise to me, the weather was too bad. Japan in the '80s is fascinating too, although the houses are smaller the weather can be nice and people had cash to burn and refined taste. The Chinese today have the cash but not necessarily the refined taste or cultural education as much.

What's my point? Oh yeah Wizard of Speed and Time is something I'll watch on Youtube one day, I don't have to have it on my shelf unmolested and perfect like I HAVE to have Takeshi Kitano's or Kurosawa's Samurai films, or the full version of Minako Honda the Virgin Live, or hundreds of others.

I think one day I'll really finish collecting, which is a comforting thought. To have limitations, just like the '80s, when things were better.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 02:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
Quote:
as well as people who like to see depictions or normal brown crappy West Hollywood on screen. :)

I think this IS actually the main interest to me. I lived in the States in the '80s as a kid and footage of urban/suburban areas in the US during then has a huge appeal to me. Gleaming the Cube is an example, just to see the '80s strip malls with asian businesses then in SoCal is a draw, Australia had a few similar areas but not as nice as the ones in the US.

There are a lot of films like this that have a lost time of the planet and we will never see it again.

I always remember growing up as a kid in NYC and seeing that drummer guy on the streets that was in Taxi Driver.
He was probably around 80 and still had the shoe polish in his hair and drumming on the street corner in front of the A&P.

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]