It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:43

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Laserdisc vs DVD
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 09:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ertoili wrote:
Well....not all BD are DNRed...have watched recently "Venus Wars" (1986) it keeps all the original grain if you like that I recommend you.

Does it look like it does on LD (natural) or does the grain look artificial and overcompensated for? Blu Ray has a tendency to bring out defects much more than they were originally seen even without remastering.

This happened on a number of Japanese anime film re releases. One I have is the Macross DYRL? DVD remaster boxset and the grain looks terrible and over done, much prefer my super natural Perfect Edition LD box. The first LD I ever owned too.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 14:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I agree "Venus Wars" perfection is the LD
but the BD does not look like a cleaned remaster I know what you mean....it is a rare case for sure cause "Akira" BD is a disaster even compared to the more "filmic" VHS version

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 07:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Does it look like it does on LD (natural) or does the grain look artificial and overcompensated for? Blu Ray has a tendency to bring out defects much more than they were originally seen even without remastering.

This happened on a number of Japanese anime film re releases. One I have is the Macross DYRL? DVD remaster boxset and the grain looks terrible and over done, much prefer my super natural Perfect Edition LD box. The first LD I ever owned too.

Grain doesnt exist on LD, its all digital noise. LD is too limited to reproduce actual film grain. Even DVD has a hard time capturing it. Only Blu-Ray and UHD can produce grain.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 11:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

For Grain we mean celluloid or photocell texture not artifact, LD is capable of showing original film grain at some level depends on transfers

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 17:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

No, not really. While grain is technically possible on Laserdisc, it's never really what you see in major features. For films shot on 8mm (and, in best case, 16mm) Laserdisc could have some of the grain remaining although the noise of the medium itself will most likely be overwhelming. For 35mm, the grain is simply too small in order to be intact on Laserdisc.

With high enough resolution and decent compression algorithms, both H.264 and H.265 are capable of represent the grain of pretty much any film regardless of stock. And this can then be used for home video distribution.

I recommend having a look at Arrow's Blu-Rays for anyone who doubts my statement. They put more effort into their masters than Criterion and it looks fantastic. Easily among the most film-like experiences you can have in your own home.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 20:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
ertoili wrote:
Well....not all BD are DNRed...have watched recently "Venus Wars" (1986) it keeps all the original grain if you like that I recommend you.

LD might be able to compete with DVD if you had your dream signature setup :)

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 13:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nissling wrote:
No, not really. While grain is technically possible on Laserdisc, it's never really what you see in major features. For films shot on 8mm (and, in best case, 16mm) Laserdisc could have some of the grain remaining although the noise of the medium itself will most likely be overwhelming. For 35mm, the grain is simply too small in order to be intact on Laserdisc.

With high enough resolution and decent compression algorithms, both H.264 and H.265 are capable of represent the grain of pretty much any film regardless of stock. And this can then be used for home video distribution.

I recommend having a look at Arrow's Blu-Rays for anyone who doubts my statement. They put more effort into their masters than Criterion and it looks fantastic. Easily among the most film-like experiences you can have in your own home.

that matches....I ve seen film grain on LD mostly on Anime TV series and 1:33 movies (or releases).....but hey! LD can do it :)

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 09:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah I can def see the grain in my Macross DYRL? Perfect Edition LDs

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3