It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:18

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The truth about laser rot
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 17:39 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Some people claim DVDs don't have laser rot...... One of my early DVDs is rotted. Outland - WB - Sean Connery. Got the R2 version and its fine.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2011, 02:18 
My copy of "In The Line of Fire" has some minor rot on side 2 only, Side 1 and 3 are fine, will the rot eventually spread to side 1?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2011, 03:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Depends on the extent of the rot.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 07:42 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I have not spun a LD in ages. I think I recall a few of my LD players (X0?, X9?, X1?) have a majority of the dropouts display in black? I recall finding it less distracting than the majority of the one that play back in white colour. lightly rotted disc will look more like a bad print than a "snow storm". black opening and ending credits look better as well, as the specks are black.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 10:41 
Honest fan
Honest fan

All Cascar discs from Belgium in the early nineties had laser rot. Surprisingly all of them were manufactured by Kuraray in Japan. Only the early discs manufactured by Philips Dupont Opt. in the UK (these discs were gold colored) do not have laser rot.

All of the 5inch CDV's I owned from PDO have rotted to the extend that even the audio tracks can not be played anymore.

I believe that the problem with Cascar and the very bad masters used for the Philips/CIC releases contributed to the very low acceptance of Laserdisc in Belgium and The Netherlands. Besides Cascar and Philips/CIC there were only a few other releases by Columbia/Tri Star (which stopped releasing laserdiscs in Belgium as early as 1993) and Warner Home Video with maybe only 20 titles. Fox never released titles on the Dutch speaking market after loosing too much money with Laservision releases in the early eighties. Pioneer tried with teletext subtitled movies but the number of titles available was just too limited.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 11:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

dwalterm wrote:
Some people claim DVDs don't have laser rot......

I found an early CD-R that I bought that was so badly rotted it was even visable (I've posted the picture many times before, you've probably already seen it). All optical disc formats that involve bonding can suffer from laser rot, I've even seen reports of Blue Ray and HD-DVD with laser rot so it still happens but it's very rare now.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 03:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Apparantly most releases from Warner Bros on HD-DVD have laser rot. I have many titles that just freeze in the middle of the movie. I thought it was a problem with my player, but I read on other forums that this is a manufacturing fault from the discs...

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 11:11 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Greetings all

In my collection I have something like 60 LD titles manufactured at Philips DuPont Optical (PDO) in Blackburn. With the exception of the odd gold coloured one, EVERY SINGLE ONE is badly visibly bronzed. On playing, this usually results in a degree of speckling that I would describe as mild and not distracting. Certainly less distracting than the heavy speckling that comes and goes with other rotted discs that often look perfect visually.

Nevertheless, it's a bad problem and eventually results in a non-playable discs, although I've had quite a few examples that friends say are unplayable that play acceptably on my D925.

PDO's problems were well-publicised in the case of CDs. As I recall, the companies affected were Chandos, Hyperion in the main, although many other smaller houses were affected too. Those CDs were truly terrible and CD players couldn’t handle them at all, just giving up and stopping. (I discovered years later that a CD drive in a pc could often interpret them and store the music as mp3 just fine, although it took about five times as long as that rip would normally take.)

Anyway, PDO’s problems did eventually result in a replacement programme. One phoned up the help number and quoted the disc number and the very nice lady looked up whether they had a replacement available. They usually did and I wound up getting something like 10 CDs replaced this way. This was all before I started into LDs and when I tried the number and email address a few years later with LDs in mind, the programme appeared to have been wound up. I wonder whether they ever replaced any one’s rotten LDs…

Best regards and See you NextWednesday.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 20:25 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

nextwednesday wrote:

PDO’s problems did eventually result in a replacement programme. One phoned up the help number and quoted the disc number and the very nice lady looked up whether they had a replacement available. They usually did and I wound up getting something like 10 CDs replaced this way.

I also sent back about 100 PDO CDs to get replaced in the late 90's that had all started to bronze over.
Warner Brothers had a similiar scheme and I got a few of them replaced as well - it was a slightly different problem though with the lacquer starting to crack around the edges where they were not sealed properly.

PostPosted: 07 May 2012, 20:38 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello, my first post here 8-)

What do you think about this:

More pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/mutantti/PetShopBoys?authkey=Gv1sRgCPaFvNL-2N2emwE#

The disc seems to play fine.

PostPosted: 07 May 2012, 20:52 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Looks similar to this . . .

Is This Laser Rot?

Can't say for sure, but it isn't affecting the disc that I have with the similar look.

PostPosted: 08 May 2012, 00:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i had a few discovisions like that in the past, i was amazed that they still played.
they were demo discs.

but i would say that was more like a "rot" as it looked like the metal was eaten away.

PostPosted: 08 May 2012, 14:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Checking some junk titles and came across this bad boy...never seen this before happen to a disc.
Looks almost if like a person spray painted it in a cream colored paint but it's under the surface.

PostPosted: 08 May 2012, 15:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

that looks like the dead side, they would just use clear and glue.
i had one that you could see half dollar size throught it, amlost clear besides the glue etc.
it actually still played.

PostPosted: 08 May 2012, 18:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It looks like the really nasty stuff on the outside edge is beyond the recorded material still. Give it time. :)

muto wrote:

More pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/mutantti/PetShopBoys?authkey=Gv1sRgCPaFvNL-2N2emwE#

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2012, 19:20 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

The first one I encountered was Dante’s Peak THX AC-3 version having gone though two of the same with replacement not looking anywhere near as bad with first one I brought around 1998. The copy I have now as gotten worst, so worse its affecting the soundtrack with bit noise.
I had little experience with laser-rot in the early days, and now knowing what it is? Its disappointing to see it.
My CAV STAR WARS box-set seems clear from it plus it has the missing scene from Empire intact.
ALIEN CAV has a little minor traces of it on side 4 near to the end of the disc.
Starship Troopers looks good transfer too bad its got colourful sparkle extras on one of the sides I think its the CAV side?
Men In (Rot) Black has it on side 3 CAV not as bad as Dante’s Peak that is the king of laser-rot in my collection it stands out!

The Professional, that’s not too bad besides I don’t like the picture transfer it looks like it was transferred though a pair of stockings.

The Fugitive, I can’t comment on that I sold the laserdisc years ago when I brought the DVD as far as I can recall it looked fine, the soundtrack was also fine very LOUD no noise on analogue or digital PCM that I can grumble about.

Demolition Man, I only played the laserdisc a few days ago and its not too bad on the laser-rot side its still watchable and nope I’m not selling it, the picture shows more scope than then DVD does plus it has “Head’s Up” where the DVD has it cut from the R2 release?

Blade Runner: Special Edition CAV, not too bad on my copy nowhere near as worse as Dante’s Peak!!! :thumbdown:

I’ll have to go though all the laserdisc again, at lightening speeds just put it in skip though the chapters looking from start to end of each side to check for any signs of “the Laser-rot” coming to a cinema this July.

Oh, the early Pal STAR WARS I have has tiny little tiny twitchy sparkles for a Laserdisc that was pressed in the early 80's not too bad.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2012, 19:33 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

muto wrote:

I was watching cessnaace views on Laser-rot and was stunned at seeing a disc with dark spots like the one you've shown. I have yet to have Laserdisc to have a black spot?

LaserDisc Laser Rot Update (titles to avoid!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ztsoOl0gc

I think the reason why Starship Troopers is highly flagged is everyone wanted it and noticed the Laser-rot and flagged it! :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 10:58 
In my opinion, most Discovision titles have very bad laser rot. After the Discovision era, i can rarely find any laserdisc opening with laser rot.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 14:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

wapro wrote:
In my opinion, most Discovision titles have very bad laser rot. After the Discovision era, i can rarely find any laserdisc opening with laser rot.

I've got a few discs that are Disney and are perfect, want to buy them.
Took me a few copies to find a perfect one. They are out there and not all are rotted.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2021, 03:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

You wanna know something? Two copies of "The Raccoons Collection" I got and side 2 must really be the rotted one on some copies. Sad part is it's a Pioneer USA pressing.

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next