It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:15

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: odd laserdisc
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 17:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have an odd Laserdisc I got in a player a long time ago.
Its an RLV - Recordable Laser Videodisc - "RLVs properly recorded on ODC LaserVision equipment meet the LASER DISC standard"
Its reddish purple on the recorded side in CAV for about half the surface. The other side is aluminum and its sticky on the edge like a 3M disk but its made by Optical Disc Corporation Santa Fe Springs, CA.
It is dated 1991 and has a bar code 1894-12-16 and is just a moving background of swirling color with a rectangle that is blacked out that takes about 2/3 of the screen not centered but in the upper right corner.
No idea if its a test disc or used as background that an image was placed in the black rectangle? There is a hand written label that I can't quite read.. something like A?????NTED SQUEEZE - BACK"
Any guesses?
I may have picked this up when I left my job supporting Broadcast servers. The company was dumping all the laserdisc stuff from the lab and gave me what I wanted to "clean out the old stuff".

Post subject: Re: odd laserdisc
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 04:48 
Interesting. It's not like a CRV disc where it has a protect cover that slips off like CED's, is it. I saw one of these RLV discs go for a few dollars on eBay at the start of the year. If it has a jacket that has the 3M logo on it, that would be the same type. The label might be trying to say Squeezeback (also sounds like it is). A squeezeback is when a programs credits or outro is shifted horizontally or vertically to show what might be coming up next on a TV channel (WGN America is a big user of this). This could be a base for adding in credits where the black is and the swerling colour is represented to show where the stations content and promos will be added.
Just a guess. Could you please show us a picture or video capture of this swerling colour?

Post subject: Re: odd laserdisc
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 17:53 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'll bet you're right about squeeze-back. I'll try to get a shot to post, it may be a cheesy picture as I'm not set up to video capture into my pc right now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]