It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do you think I can sell my entire collection in one go - UK
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 15:09 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hi Guys

I am contemplating selling my beloved Laserdisc collection, as I no longer have the room (having moved to a smaller house!!) So I'm probably going to list them on Ebay.

I have approximately 2500 titles in normal single/gatefold sleeve, and approx 100 Boxsets. There are some really rare titles, and have all been lovingly cared for. The collection is 'technically' worth approx £15k (that's working on a £5 per standard title, and £35 per boxset)...obvioulsy they cost more than that...and some are 'worth' more than that by a long way....but I know not many people (Film stars/Sports stars excluded) who are likely to have the disposable income to buy the whole collection at that sort of price, but as I do need to move them on...I would take a sensible offer for them...What do people think I would get/should accept?

They would need collecting from me in Wiltshire UK too....

Offers please ???
Thanks

Tim

www.timjhenley.com

Post subject: Re: Do you think I can sell my entire collection in one go -
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 16:26 
Hello. I understand that you are trying to sell the whole lot, but I can offer US$300 for one particular LD. I am looking for "Mt.Fuji Jazz Festival '86 Vol. 2" (Toshiba EMI L080-1088). Please let me know if you have that title and are willing to sell just that one. Thanks.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 16:47 
I don't think it would be too difficult to sell a collection of a few hundred to a local buyer, but 2500+ would be tough. I would maybe pull out the most valuable titles and list them online and then try to organize the rest into large lots and see if you can find local collectors.

From what I've seen here in Florida, collections of more common titles usually sell for around $0.50 - $2.00 per disc. Valuing the collection at around $8 per disc seems unreasonable unless you have massive amounts of rare/DTS/Japanese/etc. discs.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 17:41 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ucfmatt wrote:
From what I've seen here in Florida, collections of more common titles usually sell for around $0.50 - $2.00 per disc. Valuing the collection at around $8 per disc seems unreasonable unless you have massive amounts of rare/DTS/Japanese/etc. discs.

Thanks for the comments guys....

With ref to price...the UK market is quite a bit different from th US market....there have always been (since launch) much less of a take up of the LD technology, and therefore, nowadays, there are a lot fewer discs/collections for sale available in this country than there ever were over there (you lucky people!!)
So in the UK discs do generally go for between £2 - £5....sometimes a lot more for the scarcer ones.....and silly money for rare ones, so bearing in mind the fairly scarce nature of at least half the collection, I have averaged out the cost per disc.....

I quite like the idea of splitting, if absolutely necessary.....so thanks for that idea....but I would ideally like to get rid of the whole lot to a deep pocketed buyer !!

There are a lot of wealthy people out there...(we have charity auctions over here at Xmas on the national radio....and we get people paying £40k for a game of golf and so on...!!!!!) so I just hope that some of them are LD fans !! ;)

Not sure about taking 'offers' for individual discs.....as I know Julian who runs LDDB has the shop option..and I don't want to detract from that side of LDDB....I was just after advice....or offers for the whole collection.....

that said....if I do have a rare disc you really want....then do let me know.....I may have it - and we may be able to talk.

Thanks

Tim

www.timjhenley.com

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 18:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Could you make a list of what titles you have (though I guess listing all 2500 might be a bit much, how about a list of genre's (like documentary, anime, silent, etc.)?)?

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 20:07 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

naiaru wrote:
Could you make a list of what titles you have (though I guess listing all 2500 might be a bit much, how about a list of genre's (like documentary, anime, silent, etc.)?)?

I'm nearly half way into starting the cataloging on my LDDB my collection setup....will try & finish it over next couple of weeks....but as you say...it takes a bit of time/effort ....and I'm pretty busy.....

here's my link to what I have done so far....

http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?acti ... readthinly

www.timjhenley.com

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 20:10 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

If you have any music titles feel free to send me a list or post them here.
I'm always interested in titles I don't already have.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 20:42 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Well, halfway through your titles there, and you do have some collectibles in there (Deep Blue Sea, End of Days, etc.) and some PAL titles I would like to have (The Entity, Inferno) despite my not having a PAL LD player just yet.

I would definitely try selling at least a few of the more valuable titles separately. For the rest, you can try to sell them in one bulk sale.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 23:40 
Depends. Would you rather have:
It being sold quickly
or
Getting more money.
If you sell bulk, you are definietly going to get less per title. If you sell each title singular, then people are willing to pay more for that specific title.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 08:46 
Hello Tim.You said if you have a rare title you might be willing to sell it stand-alone. I'm looking for the LD "Mt.Fuji Jazz Festival '86 Vol. 2" (Toshiba EMI L080-1088). Again, the offer is US$300 if you have it (in good condition or better) or could procure it from elsewhere. Thanks.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 21:33 
Serious fan
Serious fan

maybe you can help me
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=548
:think:

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 12:58 
True fan
True fan

spreadthinly wrote:
ucfmatt wrote:

Thanks for the comments guys....

With ref to price...the UK market is quite a bit different from th US market....there have always been (since launch) much less of a take up of the LD technology, and therefore, nowadays, there are a lot fewer discs/collections for sale available in this country than there ever were over there (you lucky people!!)
So in the UK discs do generally go for between £2 - £5....sometimes a lot more for the scarcer ones.....and silly money for rare ones, so bearing in mind the fairly scarce nature of at least half the collection, I have averaged out the cost per disc.....

I quite like the idea of splitting, if absolutely necessary.....so thanks for that idea....but I would ideally like to get rid of the whole lot to a deep pocketed buyer !!

There are a lot of wealthy people out there...(we have charity auctions over here at Xmas on the national radio....and we get people paying £40k for a game of golf and so on...!!!!!) so I just hope that some of them are LD fans !! ;)

Not sure about taking 'offers' for individual discs.....as I know Julian who runs LDDB has the shop option..and I don't want to detract from that side of LDDB....I was just after advice....or offers for the whole collection.....

that said....if I do have a rare disc you really want....then do let me know.....I may have it - and we may be able to talk.

Thanks

Tim

Interesting, from my experience on Ebay the past couple years, PAL laserdiscs (Unless rare and non released on NTSC) tend to go for much less than NTSC laserdiscs. Even some of the rare ones have been falling in value. Just my two cents in observation.
8-) Elvis
P.S. As others have said, you would get much more for each item by selling individual than as a whole. Guess you have to decide what's worth more with your time.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 19:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You have several PAL LDs I' would like. I sent you a PM about them.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 21:13 
True fan
True fan

If only I was independently wealthy, I would so pick up at least a few of those discs. Alas, I am broke......damn

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]