It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Zack Whedon isn't too bright when it comes to Laserdiscs
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 16:03 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Friend linked me to this article (she's an avid comic book reader and Star Wars fan) since it mentioned Laserdiscs. Zack Whedon (brother to Joss) talks of several things, but I skipped right to the part about Laserdiscs . . .
Quote:
He added that he's engaging in some not-atypical "Star Wars" obsessiveness. "In all seriousness, a few years ago, outraged that I couldn't get the original trilogy sans CG but with good sound, I bought a laserdisc player and the laserdiscs which have THX sound but no CG. Ultimately, the flipping required in laserdisc viewing takes more away from the experience than Han shooting first, so I gave in and bought the blu-rays. I know, I'm weak."
Apparently, Zack wasn't aware that there are auto-flipping Laserdisc players out there.

Sadly though, a lot of people don't know this either which turns them off of the format without them really testing the format for themselves.

Can't tell you how many times I've been asked "don't you get tired of turning the disc over?"

I always reply, having always owned dual sided players, "Actually I've never had to turn over a Laserdisc. Ever."

Then they look at me like I'm crazy, and I just smile.

Any other Laserdisc misconceptions that you shake your head at when you hear them that you can think of?

Post subject: Re: Zack Whedon isn't too bright when it comes to Laserdiscs
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 19:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Even with a dual sided player you'll have to at least change the disc while watching any of the Star Wars films unless you have that player which has two disc trays.

As far as I know all Star Wars films can on two discs, unless there's a time compressed version.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 19:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

hippiedalek wrote:
Even with a dual sided player you'll have to at least change the disc while watching any of the Star Wars films unless you have that player which has two disc trays.

As far as I know all Star Wars films can on two discs, unless there's a time compressed version.

Yeah, but he said "flipping the disc" which denotes turning the disc over.

Swapping discs is another story!

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 21:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Plus also, he says flipping the disc is worse than watching the updated version, when he made a point about getting the non-updated version. That tells you he's not too serious about it.

Doesn't surprise me at all. There's plenty of dufus types out there who think a simple action is just too much effort, so they settle for what they don't really want.

Like most people when it comes to letting the government (or banks or big corps) get away with BS nowadays, too much trouble for them to bother. They're happy to live their 9-5 lives and give them a remote and sports or soaps, they got no problem with anything outside their door.

Give Zack a blu-ray and he won't care it's not the right version as long as he can sit on his duff. Why not make an lazyboy convertible with toilet and fridge?

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 00:37 
He's also unaware that the original theatrical versions were released on DVD in 2006.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 00:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

what was he trying to watch them with? an LDV2200? lol most players from the 90's on were flippers

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 03:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

No, he had a top loading first gen that he got so frustrated with after opening the box it came in, he threw it away? Lol

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 06:52 
True fan
True fan

rixrex wrote:
Plus also, he says flipping the disc is worse than watching the updated version, when he made a point about getting the non-updated version. That tells you he's not too serious about it.

Doesn't surprise me at all. There's plenty of dufus types out there who think a simple action is just too much effort, so they settle for what they don't really want.

Like most people when it comes to letting the government (or banks or big corps) get away with BS nowadays, too much trouble for them to bother. They're happy to live their 9-5 lives and give them a remote and sports or soaps, they got no problem with anything outside their door.

Give Zack a blu-ray and he won't care it's not the right version as long as he can sit on his duff. Why not make an lazyboy convertible with toilet and fridge?

LOL Give the guy a break, just because he is sensible in going with a superior technology that's not dead, doesn't mean he isn't Republican. LOL
:lol: Elvis

Last edited by elviscaprice on 30 Dec 2011, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 06:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

BluRay isnt dead? I could have sworn it was and just didnt realize it yet.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 07:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Seems like he wanted to go with the LD format but wasn't able to handle it, and went to BR just due to laziness. That's dufus.

And leave it to "elvis" to make an idiotic statement with unsupported insinuations, that's dufus too. You don't have to be Republican to stand up for your rights and protect yourself from having them taken away little by little. In fact, it's both Republican and Democratic administrations that have done this.

But as long as you have your little BR discs from the Sony oligarchy, why don't you take them go to a BR forum where you belong and squawk there instead of bothering those of us who like the LD format with your snotty attitude and smug manner? That's also dufus.

:wave:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 09:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

KOOL AID ANYONE..... LOL
THERE IS PLENTY FOR EVERYONE AND PREMIXED IS AVAILABLE ......
Caution: Does not cure smug manners and snotty attitudes....might just make them worse.....!!!!!!

I'll just keep swapping out platters.......
And gladly so....

Not only is blu ray overrated, it has not achieved expectations sales wise and the replacement is just around the corner...............

Has elvis left the building yet......?????? :wave:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 13:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

elviscaprice wrote:
LOL Give the guy a break, just because he is sensible in going with a superior technology that's not dead, doesn't mean he isn't Republican. LOL
:lol: Elvis

I think it's more sensible to actually find out that you don't have to flip a Laserdisc if you have the right player.

Just because you think LDs are old and outmoded doesn't mean that they're no good and shouldn't be utilized anymore.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 19:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I love having the physical media in my hand but I have to say, netflix and hulu plus with hd capability is pretty darned nice. And, downloading HD stuff and putting it on your hard drive isnt bad either. There are many many movies I just want to be able to watch and not own so I can see blurays death coming soon and we will be talking about them as well.
Chris

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 20:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

mikeystoyz wrote:
I love having the physical media in my hand but I have to say, netflix and hulu plus with hd capability is pretty darned nice. And, downloading HD stuff and putting it on your hard drive isnt bad either. There are many many movies I just want to be able to watch and not own so I can see blurays death coming soon and we will be talking about them as well.
Chris

I kind of like Netflix, but it just isn't going to work for me in the long run.

I mean, what if you want a different cut of a movie that isn't offered in this country? How about supplements?

I'll just stick with physical media.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 22:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah, but I will guarentee you wont care about commentaries on some of the movies I watch, lol. If I want the commentaries and stuff I will of course buy the movie, in the long run though there are some I just want to see and not care about the rest.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 23:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

yeah there are lot of movies that only need to be watched once or twice, like "speed" haha

Last edited by yazorin on 30 Dec 2011, 23:56, edited 1 time in total. _________________
you don't really own a movie until you have it on laserdisc

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 23:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rixrex wrote:
Seems like he wanted to go with the LD format but wasn't able to handle it, and went to BR just due to laziness. That's dufus.

And leave it to "elvis" to make an idiotic statement with unsupported insinuations, that's dufus too. You don't have to be Republican to stand up for your rights and protect yourself from having them taken away little by little. In fact, it's both Republican and Democratic administrations that have done this.

But as long as you have your little BR discs from the Sony oligarchy, why don't you take them go to a BR forum where you belong and squawk there instead of bothering those of us who like the LD format with your snotty attitude and smug manner? That's also dufus.

:wave:

just tell the troll to go back to his bridge :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]