It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:10

Page 1 of 2 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anyone own top of the line hardware and a vast library?
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 21:12 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

i have to admit I've never met anyone to date who owned extravant audi/video hardware AND a very impressive library of titles to play on it.

I've had friends who were really into hi-fi - often changing components every 6 months but you could count the number of CDs they owned on 1 shelf. They spent more time borrowing CDs from people like me than buying their own! I personally found their knowledge of music was very poor and their taste even worse!

By extravagant hardware I guess I mean people who would spent many thousands of pounds on systems or individual components at the drop of a hat.

There is a recent article about this here:

http://blog.eil.com/2015/11/30/lost-in- ... -276351201

I'm the polar opposite - I've a vast library of music and movies. Some may say - impossible to listen to them all even in a lifetime. My actual hardware though is nothing special. I found the biggest improvement in sound came from moving the exact same equipment into a different room in my house where the acoustics were completely different. Nothing else was changed. I'm still using Wharfedale speakers I got 31 years ago. They sound great too, although the Kenwood amp has been replaced for a more modern Denon receiver which interestingly isn't a patch (in terms of sound) on the old one which is funny given it was 4 times the price! I had to phase the original amp out only because it didn't have enough inputs and also developed a fault on one of the sockets. I still use a 3 head cassette deck by Denon from the 80's. Also a Rega Planar 2 Turntable which is 22 years old and probably worth more than I paid for it now. I have a bank of 6 Sony DVD recorders (all identical to save having to learn how to use another model for recording everything I need), Sony Blu-ray player (just an average model I got free), several Sony video recorders, a 3D VHD Sharp player (the last one ever made), a dedicated Marantz CD player - again very old but I still prefer it as it has features none of the other machines have if you listen to a lot of audio CDs. I have a modern JVC LCD but I honestly still prefer my Sony CRT which is still used almost daily for viewing.

So in summary I've always tended to spend more on my software library than the hardware I use to play it. I still listen to all the CDs I ever bought. I don't regret buying any of them. I always kept all the early pressings even if I bought re-issues as sometimes the original copies actually sound better or contained tracks/cover art etc not included on later editions etc. I've tended to mirror this trend as I started collecting laserdiscs with the focus remaining firmly on titles rather than hardware. I don't find any laserdisc hardware particularly difficult to obtain. You could buy something like an HLD-X9 on Ebay or Yahoo Japan auctions most days so I picked one up cheap several years ago and have a fleet of 15 or so other Pioneer LD machines - mostly for peace of mind.

I think this trend is often the case where you find people who are either into hardware or software but not both. Anyone agree/disagree?

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 02 Dec 2015, 22:47, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Anyone own top of the line hardware and a vast library?
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 21:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I would agree from my own perspective. I'm a hardware junkie. With LD I definitely spend more time tinkering and trying things out than actually watching a movie. I'm trying to change that though. I do the same thing with cameras. I have a bunch and play around with them a lot but the amount of time I actually spend taking serious photos is small in comparison to the tinkering time.

LD is a perfect tinkerers hobby. There are so many differences among hardware and setups that you could mess around for years swapping things in and out. I've bought so many LD players and TVs over the past 15 years yet still have the same DVD player. DVD is boring :P

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 22:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I try to do both, but it isn't easy. Either you drop a lot of cash into the hardware bag, or the software bag. A bit difficult to balance both. I mainly collect vintage computers and video game consoles. I've used quite a bit on that, especially odd hardware. Now I'm trying to build up a library of software. Seems prices have shot through the roof the past few years when it comes to games at least. Bought a lot of movies too. Recently got extra shelves for my LDs. I by no means have a big library, at least not on a single platform. I have several Billy shelves with video tapes, DVDs, BDs, games. Don't think one single platform would fill one shelf alone. Maybe the video tapes, they take up a lot of space...

When it comes to my AV setup, it is a bit of a mix. I used quite a bit of money on a high-end BD player, VCR, LD player, TV, AV receiver, but the speakers are not really hi-fi grade. Have some small honeycomb Klipsch speakers in the back and center, while the stereo front speakers are some 6,5" Cerwin-Vega speakers.

Most people I know do as you mentioned, laserdisc_fan. I know someone that have used like 20.000 USD on a stereo system, but use Spotify or their iPod with 128kbps MP3s as music source. Most people think I'm retarded to buy games and movies to support the hardware. Why even bother when you can download or stream that stuff from the Internet? I guess this is a reason why people go all out on hardware, but not a library to support it these days.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 00:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

High end? No. I've got a $1000 Yamaha receiver, Kenwood power amp, JBL L80 speakers and a Sony 52" LED TV, coupled with a Pioneer DVL-919, LD-W1 and a VP-1000. And around 4900 LD titles.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 14:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It all comes down to money. I've got a collection of maybe 200-250 discs and my 3 players, CLD-1450, 2850 and 2950. In the living room is the 2950 running through a 50" panasonic plasma with a Sony STR amp handling the sound through to my wharfedale diamond 5.1 system. Hardly top of the range, maybe just mid range but it does me. Still gets loud enough to rattle the windows and drive her nuts so makes me happy. The man cave has the other 2 players, my turntables and amigas with a cheapo 5.1 system from my old PC and an acer DLP projector. I'm more than happy with the projector as it actually produces a better LD image than the TV but the sound in here does need attention. Hardly ever use the cave now though so its difficult to justify the expense.

I suppose long story short I consider myself a casual collector, and I suspect most people fall into this category.

I fully understand those who have the money thusly wish to spend it on what they enjoy. If I win the lottery yes I'll build a new house with a crazy over the top home cinema but for now with what I have I'm happy.

I would however question the money vs reward. Laserdisc hardware in my opinion is all about getting the best image out of the composite signal but I do wonder if it really gets that much better to the point were one can justify £1,000's spent on hardware. It does to an extent need to be kept in perspective in that no matter how much money your throw at it, it will always only produce an image quality that can be easily outdone by a £20 ASDA (wallmart) bluray player. It is a dead format after all.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 16:07 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I always think you can pretty much tell the audio bluffers from a single photo of their setup.

If it's fancy designer room with a hard wooden, ceramic or laminate flooring the audio acoustics will be diabolical no matter how good the hardware equipment contained within. Such systems are all gloss and glitter but have no real substance for audio performance. You'd probably get better audio quality from a high end 80's ghetto blaster sitting in the middle of a normal furnished room that has carpets, curtains and other materials to absorb and reflect the sound more efficiently. All you get in a hardfloor environment is a really harsh sterile sound very similar to playing music in a empty warehouse or laboratory.

The best room I've ever personally listened to music in was back at my parents home. They did a roofspace conversion in a bungaloo and one of the rooms was specifically converted into a study/den for listening to music. The raised elevation and 2 metre wide insulated cupboards on either side provided a huge sound that could not be reproduced anywhere else in the house. When you opened the Velux windows in the summer you could alter the sound even further because of the tilted ceiling and massive adjustable windows. It was (and still is) a very cool setup. Just a pity I don't have anything like that in my own house. :(

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 03 Dec 2015, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 18:52 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I'm pretty much middle of the road when it comes to my hardware and library. I think I have about 1000 titles and my highest end LD players are the Runco LJR-I and CLD-97.

I used to have an R7G, but sold it to help pay for truck repairs. But not really sure if anyone would consider an R7G more high end than a 97 or Runco.

As far as audio goes, also middle of the road with a Pioneer VSX-27TX and a modest speaker setup (Optimus center, Pioneer CS-99A vintage '76 fronts, Optimus surrounds with Linaeum tweeters and a 15" Cerwin Vega! sub.)

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 21:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Can't go wrong with mid end equipment IMHO

That goes for about everything one purchases in life :thumbup:
There is always something better anyway :thumbdown:

Never even considered getting "the best " available. High end is a term not a science.
Remember "we all have analog eyes and ears" in the end :shh: :lol:

But enjoy what you have is my advice. To each his own.
I try to justify my spendings to myself. I have nothing to prove anyway to nobody
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 21:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I would consider a CLD-97 high end. I would take that over an R7G any day.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 23:25 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

My A/V setup has always been entry to mid level. It's now a mishmash of oddities including a Technics SA-DX850 receiver, a vintage Toshiba XR-J9 CD player, with a base-line Samsung Blu-ray player teamed with my beloved but far from top-spec CLD 2950 (along with a Packard Bell DVD recorder and a VHS player that I can only imagine are/were entry level lumps)..

I gained yards of shelf space close on a decade ago when I lost my VHS and vinyl collections and decided to fill the space with equivalent DVD and CD titles, but adding to them has faltered while I've been trying to kick-start the Laserdisc collection.

Over 30 years ago my father said to me that it "doesn't matter how much you spend on your speakers and amplifier if you then fail to put those speakers in the right location".

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015, 09:15 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I agree a combo of mid and some higher end gear allows for larger collection.

We have for LD's the HLD-X0 with a crystalio II 3300.

CIH 120" screen
Mitsubishi HC-5 pj

For BD - oppo bdp-95

Pre&power - integra.

Paradigm signature speakers 7.1

Room is only 4 x 5 metres or thereabouts.

So for us this combo works very well.

We have over 200 LD's
Over 300 cd's
Hd-dvd and BD over 150
Dvd's over 200

Most things we have tried to buy eithet second-hand or used layby.

So it can be done :)

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 02:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening laserdisc_fan, mckie1, ashgcg, gumbyandpals, kris, elahrairrah, glen_m, blam1 & samaron,

This is an intriguing subject and one that has many answers.

Know that what I write here has been so with the utmost care and consideration toward all, and also from a personal perspective this man has gone through many trails beyond ones AV interests, all of which has enhanced & expanded ones thinking in order to be thorough in covering all bases.

For each member here is a unique person with unique personalities and circumstances that most do not, or would rather not mention, only because they may feel it not relevant but it no doubt is.

For we are all the sum of our experiences and there are those here, who see clearly the importance of treating each of these subjects written by all and to be treated with the utmost respect

Over the many years I have had my hands on many high and low end items of equipment, and have enjoyed the ownership of such.

Somethings come easy but others did, and continue to not come so easy to this very day, not to mention the unforeseen circumstances that do befall each one of us here, at any given turn of life's events that can and do strike when we least expect.
The above are many and varied, including the loss of our loved ones and livelihoods along the way, some also as a result of self induced pains.

Some inflicted by taking on more than we should at times, especially through being impulsive.

The many jobs that come along as time passes, those many hours worked and life challenges, family details disagreements, drugs alcoholic problems encountered by some more than others, and traumas left on other family members lives and in mind take their toll.............................

These and many other factors are to be considered each time a reply is made with a discerning mind toward all.

1977 to 1986 traveled the UK countryside, rail network, slept rough on many occasions and met so many great people, went to a young offenders prison for 4 1/2 months with heavy discipline and some time before, I attended my community hours of hard work.

The holding of ones head high came gradually, due to myself coming to know the person I was and, to this day who I am now (this journey of course continues.)

The building of ones confidence, in straightening myself out as the time, the weeks, the months and years that passed by, whilst working damn hard and going through the many inner struggles that most do not speak of comfortably, when reaching true adulthood.

some people never open fully during the passage of their lives, or even know how to or, possibly see the need to do so.

That's why when others are in my company I naturally help each one to just be themselves, and for those precious few that one is able to let in and to trust, they know with ease & without any mindful burden even fear of, being possibly judged or misjudged at all.

From the early 80's I purchased the guetto blasters from the likes of SHARP, then SHARP's vertical LP player with radio and cassette, Then JVC vertical loading CD tray player , KENWOOD horizontal loading drawer CD Players NAD 3030 AMP, Yamaha AM FM TUNER, Technics sound processor expander, graphic equalizers, TEAC reel to reel 1000 tape decks, NAKAMICHI DRAGON, BX300, CR7, AIWA 770, 990, Cassette decks, AR Turntable with LINN basic arm moving coil cartridge.

From 1987 I then ventured into Motorcyles owning the following: KAWASAKI AR 125, GPZ 500, HONDA CBR1000, then major accident and then purchased another new refined CBR1000, PAN EUROPEAN ST1100, GL1500 GOLDWING (sold this to pay off some of my brothers debts,) then GPX 500 ENDURO, went through a heavy traumatic year with my twin brother, of which nearly led to myself having 2 nervous breakdowns, lost my job, begged for it back to regain my good reputation.

Then made a savings chart to purchase what was lost, and then working up to 120hrs per week, sold my huge collection of cassette tapes to a market stall, and selling a number of other things banking the money as I did, in order to get my HONDA GOLDWING GL1500 20TH ANNIVERSARY ED imported from the US with around £7,500 worth of extras fitted, of which I rode off from the dealers show room at midnight, paid in cash over the 2 1/2 years with Discount of over £1,500, Total £23,500 in just over 2 1/2 years.

Many other experiences encountered like all of you reading these ramblings, have gone through much yourselves, so know that I think of these and many other matters when writing such things to your good selves here.

1997 late that year sold my bike and with the funds raised from such a sale purchased my first Car VW GOLF M3
1998 March of I ventured into the Audio and Video pastime: Purchased the following: YAMAHA DSPA1 / DVL 909 / 919 / CLD 925 /
SONY ES DAB TUNER ST770 / SONY ASD JA30 / 50ES MINIDISK PLAYERS / SONY ES XA50 CD / XA 9000ES SUPERAUDIO / PIONEER DVL 91 X 2 / CLD97 / CLD99 X 2 / HLD X9 / PIONEER DV 47AI DVD PLAYER / DV09 THX DVD / BDP LX91 / OPPO 105 MULTI REGIONED DVD & BLU RAY PLAYERS / TOSHIBA HDXE1 HD-DVD / DENON 3930I MUTIREGIONED / DV38 THX ELITE DVD LEXICON MC12B PROCESSOR FULLY UPGRADED / LX7 AMP / DENON AV1 AV AMP / PIONEER PDP 503 50'' SCREEN / PIONEER KURO 6090 60'' TV'S / LD RF-DEMODULATORS: KENWOOD 990 / LEXICON LDDB / PIONEER LD1 / MERIDIAN 519 X 2 / WIREWORLD CABLES OF VARIOUS KINDS MONSTER POWER HTS1000 X 2 / GRAHAM SLEE / MING-DA HEADPHONE AMPS / SENNHEISER: 600 / 650 AND HD800 HEADPHONES.
HIFI RACKS X 4, MADE TO ORDER SOLID OAK 41 MILL THICK SHELVES X 3 AND FOUR STACKED HIGH.
BOSE ACOUSTIMASS 111 X 2 6.1 SPEAKER SYSTEMS LIVING ROOM AND BEDROOM.

Other items besides the above mentioned equipment, and running a home as most of us here do, can and can place restrictions on what we may, or may not be able to afford at any given time, and also with all things one has to prioritize what I do, and do not spend my money on along the way.

The bottom line to all of the above is this;
We all have a unique story to tell without egos or bragging at all, for the above personal experiences and hard earned equipment purchases came at a considerable struggle and cost Period!

Over many years in keeping such things at times in shops, paying for them before being able to taking home.

Imported items from the USA took 18 months to achieve the CLD 97 BRAND NEW SEALED / traveled a round trip of over 800 miles to collect an HLD X9, paid for over a year in another persons account. / Traveled to Europe to collect many Laserdisc's from RO-DISC in Rotterdam & many many other experiences.

I have a collection of just under 1000 Laserdisc's and have around 28 LD titles that have taken myself 9 years to purchase, and am now finally in the process of completing this purchase from a seller who has moved from Japan to Australia during this time, who has been so very understanding and trusting during this period, due to myself moving into my first home / being made redundant from my job, and then going through many days, months and years of showing patience, struggles to get this far, and mostly working within my means.

have around 560 DVD's / 70 HD DVD's / 300 BLU-RAY titles.

With understanding toward all I have to mention with all sincerity that it doesn't matter what we all have, but that we truly enjoy the pleasures of our hard worked labors.

My AV equipment took 10 years before I had the chance to take each item out of their respective boxes, and it has only been the last year after 16 years, that the last item has been placed on its shelf,
I still have to purchase a number of balanced, coax and HDMI 2.1 cables and a switcher box to connect all LD players......... yes a slow journey. (Updated as of: 24/04/2016 in February I purchased all 7 x 1 Meter Balanced Cables from Audioquest with 30% discount these are for the LEX MC12B & LX7 AMP, and have also purchased 2 x Figure 8 power leads for my HD DVD and LD player and will need another 2 of these.)

My story is only different in that this is my experience, it's my own journey alone, and your journey is equally respected by myself ''trust me on this guys'' and that's why one is happy to read what others have conveyed in their view points & comments.

Please also never forget that life is all about people, trust, respect and the earning of such from each person we come in contact with.

Choose wisely the Friends everyone but, always be respectful and peaceful to those you choose not to be, for we are all accountable and that's a healthy attitude.

Thank you for sharing and take good care of yourselves.

Sincerest Respectful regards to all

:wave: :wave: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

Last edited by benmbe on 24 Apr 2016, 16:59, edited 5 times in total. _________________
Το ταξίδι για την αλήθεια κάθε σκάφος δεμένα, κατόπιν δεν είναι να ληφθούν, ή μάλλον βάδισαν

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 08:04 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Thank you benmbe for opening up in such a public way. Agreed life provides many obstacles and hurdles along the way.

My two cents is that anything and everything I can share with my Wife and kids makes life more enjoyable.

Hence watching a good movie on any format or playing a video game.

Life is too short. Fulfil it with family and friends using experiences and events that last a lifetime :)

Thanks again benmbe

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 14:19 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I have what I would refer to as a modest setup:

LG 55 inch LED 3D TV
Onkyo TX-NR414 Receiver
Bose Acoustimass 10 Seires IV Surround Sound
Pioneer Elite DVL-90 LD player
Roughly 250-300 movies, 200 more in boxes I need to sort
HTPC ( A10, 4 gig's of ram, SSD for os )
10 TB NAS appliance for movie storage. ( roughly 700 movies stored on there )
Basic Samsung Blu-Ray player, about 20 Blu Rays and about 400 DVD's

Attachment:
12729227_1157413060944497_9034876189686531490_n.jpg
12729227_1157413060944497_9034876189686531490_n.jpg [ 92.12 KiB | Viewed 6740 times ]

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 17:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tjroux wrote:
I have what I would refer to as a modest setup:

LG 55 inch LED 3D TV
Onkyo TX-NR414 Receiver
Bose Acoustimass 10 Seires IV Surround Sound
Pioneer Elite DVL-90 LD player
Roughly 250-300 movies, 200 more in boxes I need to sort
HTPC ( A10, 4 gig's of ram, SSD for os )
10 TB NAS appliance for movie storage. ( roughly 700 movies stored on there )
Basic Samsung Blu-Ray player, about 20 Blu Rays and about 400 DVD's

Attachment:
12729227_1157413060944497_9034876189686531490_n.jpg

I used to have a "modest" setup like that :)

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 05:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

while my own LD collection is what i would personally consider as quite Modest indeed, my combined A/V system is, IMO, somewhat less so;

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 06:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke, man what a sweet set up !
Love those speakers ........

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 17:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

to this day, they remain the best sounding Loudspeakers i've personally heard to date.
that is why, after nearly ten years of ownership, and several opportunities to move "up" to a more lavishly made Stereo Speaker pair,
i have continued to remain with these relatively cheaply-built yet amazing sounding early-90's four-way PIONEER CS-G503s.

further, i actually managed to improve them drastically after this last move of mine,
lining the interior surfaces with thick fiberglass house insulation, having the immediately palpable effect
of a much tighter, more extended Bass region to thee already crystalline-clear Trebles...

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 22:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
to this day, they remain the best sounding Loudspeakers i've personally heard to date.
that is why, after nearly ten years of ownership, and several opportunities to move "up" to a more lavishly made Stereo Speaker pair,
i have continued to remain with these relatively cheaply-built yet amazing sounding early-90's four-way PIONEER CS-G503s.

further, i actually managed to improve them drastically after this last move of mine,
lining the interior surfaces with thick fiberglass house insulation, having the immediately palpable effect
of a much tighter, more extended Bass region to thee already crystalline-clear Trebles...

Most excellent, very well done.......
I also believe vintage speakers that have stood the test of time are the way to go for optimal playback.

Your augmentation is noted for my "old" Pioneer speakers !
Model CS-66G's, still kicking out the sound after many, many years ...........

Thank you tasuke !

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2016, 00:23 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

My libraries are usually much more vast than my hardware. I only have like 200 Blu-rays, less DVDs than that and I use a PS3 or a PS4 to play them...not the best option. My TV is a curb side repair Plasma. My Audio Setup is stored away for right now due to space. My AV set up does not scream aficionado...it screams "Look at this idiot."

Page 1 of 2 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next