It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Weird backwards skipping on The Lion King CAV side 8
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 05:30 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just decided to watch The Lion King's supplementary materials today for the first time (it's amazing how much of this stuff wasn't on the Blu-ray, at least as far as I remember!). While almost all of it played fine (perhaps with a few warning signs of frames here and there that would immediately skip even when single-stepping), it was not until I got to the final trailer at the end that I encountered a particularly troublesome problem — the film skipping backwards a frame. I have tried multiple times, between quite long pauses, to get this last trailer to play, and not yet succeeded. The disc itself looks fine on that part of the side. Sometimes it's a really dramatic effect, to the effect that it looks and sounds like half of the trailer is actually being played in reverse at normal speed! But I can't get to the end, and after I start receiving problems, it seems to "spread" to more and more of the trailer in the same run, until the entire thing is unplayable.

I assume the problems are with the disc, and since it's just the last couple of minutes this only annoys me slightly (nothing really too annoying to miss is on there) — but I'm also concerned it might be showing a problem with the player instead. Any ideas what invisible problem with the disc, or perhaps problem with the player (not that I've yet spotted it on any other CAV discs, so if it is one of these it's only just developed) might cause this?

Post subject: Re: Weird backwards skipping on The Lion King CAV side 8
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 12:20 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

This sounds like laser-lock, if you're able to play other discs just fine.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 13:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, sounds like a classic case of laser lock. Have a couple of discs my self that have similar symptoms. Thought it was the player too, but the discs does the same on at least three different players.

What causes this? Most likely a production defect when the disc was made.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2022, 07:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

muzer wrote:
Just decided to watch The Lion King's supplementary materials today for the first time (it's amazing how much of this stuff wasn't on the Blu-ray, at least as far as I remember!). While almost all of it played fine (perhaps with a few warning signs of frames here and there that would immediately skip even when single-stepping), it was not until I got to the final trailer at the end that I encountered a particularly troublesome problem — the film skipping backwards a frame. I have tried multiple times, between quite long pauses, to get this last trailer to play, and not yet succeeded. The disc itself looks fine on that part of the side. Sometimes it's a really dramatic effect, to the effect that it looks and sounds like half of the trailer is actually being played in reverse at normal speed! But I can't get to the end, and after I start receiving problems, it seems to "spread" to more and more of the trailer in the same run, until the entire thing is unplayable.

I assume the problems are with the disc, and since it's just the last couple of minutes this only annoys me slightly (nothing really too annoying to miss is on there) — but I'm also concerned it might be showing a problem with the player instead. Any ideas what invisible problem with the disc, or perhaps problem with the player (not that I've yet spotted it on any other CAV discs, so if it is one of these it's only just developed) might cause this?

Yeah, dude, a similar problem happened to me just now while I was trying to digitize the whole collection. Sides 1-6 ran through with no problema, but when I got to chapter 70 on side 7, it started skipping on me, even when I press the "step" button once. Worse still, on side 8, it began skipping on chapter 74, and when I got to the last theatrical trailer, it skipped like crazy it became unwatchable for the whole rest of the disc it had to stop. I'm not sure if this box set is worth buying 'cuz you never know if sides 7-8 are hard to come by. And I don't know if it's the disc or the player going on its last legs. Or it's probably because Pioneer's USA plant had some trouble pressing the material on said disc. They were less problematic than they were round '84-'85.

P.S. I hope no one has experienced this kind of skipping problem on its Japanese counterpart disc: PILA-1346

UPDATE: It's the disc alone that's problematic.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 15:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Typically, this has to do with a warp. Very full CAV are a real b**ch. With a surface speed equivalent to 5400 RPM, a ripple warp on the edge can be more than the optical pickup can compensate for. The same warp on a full CLV disc would not cause an issue. Playability can (but not always) vary from machine to machine.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2022, 17:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

blam1 wrote:
Typically, this has to do with a warp. Very full CAV are a real b**ch. With a surface speed equivalent to 5400 RPM, a ripple warp on the edge can be more than the optical pickup can compensate for. The same warp on a full CLV disc would not cause an issue. Playability can (but not always) vary from machine to machine.

Well, anyway, I ordered another copy, and it managed to get through on sides 7 & 8.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2022, 00:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well, I hate to be off topic, but believe it or not, but just when side 1 of the CAV edition of "Beauty and the Beast" (not the work-in-progress version, the final version) was about to end, (they just finished the "Gaston" song), it suffered the same fate just like the above-mentioned "Lion King" CAV, skipping backwards from the part where Maurice busts in frantically to the part where Belle finds Gaston has left. The sad part is it's pressed by Mitsubishi. Has any of your copies of the CAV "Beauty and the Beast" suffered this kind of rot, too? I should know that copies pressed by Pioneer Japan haven't.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2023, 11:14 
Third post and above
Third post and above

It seems I'm not the only one having this problem. :crazy:

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]