It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:56

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What titles are Discovision exclusives?
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 12:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Melvin and Howard seems to be Discovision only.

Post subject: Re: What titles are Discovision exclusives?
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 14:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I think several of the documentary ones like How To Stop Smoking an that Solar System one were only ever released on Discovision.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 16:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There are quite a number of films that were only released on DiscoVision and never seen again. Diary of a mad housewife is one. Almost all the non feature films except for the Cousteau and world at war, which had DVD releases. Other films that had never been rereleased like Last married couple in America has finally been issued on DVD, with some of the music rescored, so the DiscoVision is the only way to get the real version.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 01:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Melvin and Howard was issued on DVD in 2004.

In addition to "Mad Housewife, I do not think these have been issued:
Luther
The Choirboys

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 04:22 
True fan
True fan

Bustin' Loose with Richard Pryor was released by MCA DiscoVision, and was not ever rereleased on LaserDisc. There is a refrence of sorts to DiscoVision in the film. Richard Pryor walks past a DiscoVision display rack. I forget which titles were visible. It has been released on DVD, and probably other formats too.

STAY AWESOME! :)

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 22:26 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

cessnaace wrote:
Bustin' Loose with Richard Pryor was released by MCA DiscoVision, and was not ever rereleased on LaserDisc. There is a refrence of sorts to DiscoVision in the film. Richard Pryor walks past a DiscoVision display rack. I forget which titles were visible. It has been released on DVD, and probably other formats too.

That is a great film to only be issued once on laserdisc. LDDB.com must have a duplicate invalid entry in it as there are two with the same catalog number other than one has 16026 and the other has 16-026.

Bustin' Loose (1981) [16026]
Bustin' Loose (1981) [16-026]

Which one is correct?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 05:11 
True fan
True fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
cessnaace wrote:

That is a great film to only be issued once on laserdisc. LDDB.com must have a duplicate invalid entry in it as there are two with the same catalog number other than one has 16026 and the other has 16-026.

Which one is correct?

[16-026] was actually released. I know, as I own a copy. [16026] was scheduled to be released on the MCA/Universal Home Video label, but I don't think it ever was.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 05:37 
True fan
True fan

cessnaace wrote:
laserdisc_fan wrote:
cessnaace wrote:

Which one is correct?

[16-026] was actually released. I know, as I own a copy. [16026] was scheduled to be released on the MCA/Universal Home Video label, but I don't think it ever was.

There's another thread where we discussed the errors in the MCA Videodisc catalog and a few others. MCA kept the Discovision numbering system which is a 2 digit code describing what genre the film is and a 3 digit code for the film itself divided by a dash ex 16-026. 16 = Comedy. When MCA dropped the Videodisc moniker and became MCA Home Video they also dropped the dash. Bustin' Loose was never re-released but the dash was dropped in all catalogs and flyers. In the catalog it said 16026 but the disc itself never changed so it said 16-026. Confused yet? These types of changes or non-changes happened with all 5 of the major companies releasing laserdiscs in the early days.

The title was entered into the database based on it's entry in the catalog. Later someone who owns the disc entered it again. This is why it's important, when submitting a new title, to make multiple searches.

I've been trying to bring titles like this to Julien's attention, but with 5 companies and all their releases over a 2-3 year time-span it's a bit daunting.

Hope that makes sense,

Ron

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 06:50 
True fan
True fan

Quote:
There's another thread where we discussed the errors in the MCA Videodisc catalog and a few others. MCA kept the Discovision numbering system which is a 2 digit code describing what genre the film is and a 3 digit code for the film itself divided by a dash ex 16-026. 16 = Comedy. When MCA dropped the Videodisc moniker and became MCA Home Video they also dropped the dash. Bustin' Loose was never re-released but the dash was dropped in all catalogs and flyers. In the catalog it said 16026 but the disc itself never changed so it said 16-026. Confused yet? These types of changes or non-changes happened with all 5 of the major companies releasing laserdiscs in the early days.

The title was entered into the database based on it's entry in the catalog. Later someone who owns the disc entered it again. This is why it's important, when submitting a new title, to make multiple searches.

I've been trying to bring titles like this to Julien's attention, but with 5 companies and all their releases over a 2-3 year time-span it's a bit daunting.

Hope that makes sense,

Ron

Ron,

It makes perfect sense. I've been trying for quite awhile to convince Julien that I have a release of "Cat People" (1982) that isn't in the database. My update is still pending. Here's the deal. The database has [11014] on the MCA/Universal Home Video label. I OWN [11-014] on the MCA Videodisc, Inc. label. It has the same mint marks as the later release, indicating that the same discs were used, HOWEVER the jacket is different, the label is different, and the MCA Videodisc, Inc. release has no UPC on the jacket, whereas the MCA/Universal release does. MCA/Universal later released the film again [41779] but with different mint marks.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 12:02 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Sounds a nightmare!....looks like we might need a lawyer to sort that one out.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 20:08 
True fan
True fan

cessnaace wrote:
Quote:

Hope that makes sense,

Ron

Ron,

It makes perfect sense. I've been trying for quite awhile to convince Julien that I have a release of "Cat People" (1982) that isn't in the database. My update is still pending. Here's the deal. The database has [11014] on the MCA/Universal Home Video label. I OWN [11-014] on the MCA Videodisc, Inc. label. It has the same mint marks as the later release, indicating that the same discs were used, HOWEVER the jacket is different, the label is different, and the MCA Videodisc, Inc. release has no UPC on the jacket, whereas the MCA/Universal release does. MCA/Universal later released the film again [41779] but with different mint marks.

To make it more confusing...

I have two copies of the MCA Videodisc Cat People. One without a UPC and one with a UPC and other slight variations on the back cover.

Can you post a pic of your cover? I'd love to see it.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 22:39 
ratkins wrote:
These types of changes or non-changes happened with all 5 of the major companies releasing laserdiscs in the early days.

It was true with most of the earlier releasing companies, but not with MVC.
Here's an excerpt from the page I wrote up on MVC on the Laserdisc Wiki.
Quote:
Magnetic Video Corp. distributed films from many companies.Films were catgorised by reference number and on laserdisc releases, all end with -80. However, unlike Discovision where the first two number refer to a genre, The first number on an MVC title signifies the company that produced or made the program. The following three signify the order on which they were prepared for release, however this is not always the case. CBS/FOX continued use this system for a while but eventually titles were put in to the wrong catgories.

Example: (2001-80)

The following is a breakdown of what the first number relates to company wise:

1- 20th Century Fox Corporation

2- Viacom Enterprises\International

3- mostly sports and low budget films, no particular ordering.

4- Avco Embassy Pictures Corporation or United Artists

5- Another 20th Century Fox Corp number

6- Used for released by one time companies

7- Warner Bros or a.a.p

8- American Broadcasting Corporation

9- ITC entertainment

Even during the majority of the CBS/Fox years they still retained the hyphen , mostly due to their different numbering system.

Also on the subject of Discovision exclusives, would you included discs pressed by Discovision but released by another company e.g. MVC or Indeco?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 00:00 
True fan
True fan

Quote:
To make it more confusing...

I have two copies of the MCA Videodisc Cat People. One without a UPC and one with a UPC and other slight variations on the back cover.

Can you post a pic of your cover? I'd love to see it.

I've taken a picture of it but how do I post it here? The FAQ states that photos cannot be on a private non-server PC.

Last edited by cessnaace on 22 Jan 2012, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 01:30 
True fan
True fan

It has to be small but there is a button on the bottom to upload pix

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 05:46 
True fan
True fan

Here is the photo that I took of the front cover of "Cat People" (1982) MCA Videodisc, Inc.
[11-014]

Attachments:
Image49.jpg
Image49.jpg [ 139.38 KiB | Viewed 4850 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 05:48 
True fan
True fan

Here is the photo that I took of the label of "Cat People" (1982) MCA Videodisc, Inc.
[11-014]

Attachments:
Image53.jpg
Image53.jpg [ 126.91 KiB | Viewed 4850 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 05:50 
True fan
True fan

Here is a better photo of a label off of "Cat People" (1982) MCA Videodisc, Inc.
[11-014]

Attachments:
Image54.jpg
Image54.jpg [ 142.81 KiB | Viewed 4849 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 05:52 
True fan
True fan

ratkins wrote:
It has to be small but there is a button on the bottom to upload pix

Thanks for the tip. I've posted some photos of this release, including the cover.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 08:31 
True fan
True fan

Yes, that's the same as my copy. I'd be willing to bet there never was an MCA Home Video version until the letterbox release. Since there isn't a cover posted for it in the database, I'd call this another example of a title being entered off the catalog.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 02:38 
True fan
True fan

ratkins wrote:
Yes, that's the same as my copy. I'd be willing to bet there never was an MCA Home Video version until the letterbox release. Since there isn't a cover posted for it in the database, I'd call this another example of a title being entered off the catalog.

I wrote Julian a PM about it. Maybe you could too. :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next