It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:32

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Pan&Scan vs Acadamy Standard
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 07:38 
Julien, if you see this here I'm going to propose a change to The Harvest [79366], based on the quoted post below, to Open Matte.
Similarly, for The Linguini Incident [ID2152AC], I didn't provide an aspect ratio, but after poking about the boards I'm leaning towards Academy Ratio as the picture throughout is extremely well framed. Bluray.com, under DVDs, lists 1:85 as the original although the DVD as well is full screen.

I posted here first in case any of the membership has any light to throw.

samaron wrote:
I've changed several titles in the database that have been erroneously added as P&S, which were actually open matte. Latest one I submitted a change for were probably Hardware (1990) (Uncut) [NALA-10028]. It was fairly obvious it were open matte since the mic boom shows several times, shades for the camera lens, head (eye) positioning in the frame etc. Guess many people automatically assume 4:3 ratio = P&S.

Post subject: Re: Pan&Scan vs Acadamy Standard
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 18:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

IIRC Back to the Future used whatever the superimposition method was where the negative was sideways as it went through the machine. This is done because there is less jitter, an ILM thing left over from Star Wars. As part of the way this is done the image is sort of converted to wide at this point.

I’m remembering this poorly...but anyway, yeah, the stuff like the future McFly family all sitting at the table will only exist wide because the VistaGlide camera does things the same way. The image is rotated 90°. The width of the negative is now the height and the width is now length so they can use the entire frame of film. A bigger and more stable frame from the same film stock.

If you look for pictures of these setups you’ll see the supply real on one side and the take-up on the other side of the camera.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2