It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:19

Page 2 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Someone bring some fun talk please
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 15:32 
I'm pretty active on the Facebook group, but I'm on here all the time also. I often spend hours on the forum regularly looking up old threads, although I don't post much myself. I actually prefer regular forums over FB groups, I wish we could get more people to migrate over here.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017, 02:24 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I would just like to comment and say,

I believe and acknowledge this site as an paralleled resource of information. I have never experienced such a well designed and practical database (and much more). When people I know discover I collect Laserdiscs I have on several occasions directed them to this website, because honestly it is unbelievable how extensive it is. I express to them how have never seen anything so useful and dedicated. I have several other hobbies including; Analog music format collecting (vinyl, cassette, 8-track, reel to reel, etc.), Hi-Fi 80's Walkmans, Vintage video games, Retro (mainly mid-century modern) appliances/furniture/decor, and I'm a classic car enthusiast who partakes in maintenance and car shows with my own classic. And of all those hobbies none have such an elegant online presence as this one!

I know I could be more involved with discussions (and maybe in time I will), but I'm a rather recluse, modest person by nature and rarely interject. And I must agree that when discussions become derogatory I remove myself and the possibility of expressing my thoughts. We have strength and knowledge through, collaboration, community, and support... Not with dividing and animosity.

I want to thank all who make this place a welcoming wealth of information, support, and community. Without these paramount qualities and dedication this, neat, historic, and marginalized format would be nothing more than a forgotten relic.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017, 02:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
I've posted some reviews of LDs that I've been watching but only had 1 response, its hard when others just want to bash.
Feel like the forum was best in the past, and that past wasn't that long ago :cry:

You are specifically the reason I don't post often, you s**t on nearly everything I say so I stick to the FB group.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017, 03:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

pbiancardi wrote:
rein-o wrote:
I've posted some reviews of LDs that I've been watching but only had 1 response, its hard when others just want to bash.
Feel like the forum was best in the past, and that past wasn't that long ago :cry:

You are specifically the reason I don't post often, you s**t on nearly everything I say so I stick to the FB group.

Well we can't stop bashing by keeping up the bashing.

One last one here. Did you ever apologize about the Grasshopper bashing?? :think:
Now i'm done :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017, 04:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Funny how Grasshopper and I got past the issues (I just bought the Faroudja from him) but somehow you can't....

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017, 04:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

pbiancardi wrote:
Funny how Grasshopper and I got past the issues (I just bought the Faroudja from him) but somehow you can't....

Ah good for you.
Nice player. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017, 06:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Perhaps without the immediacy of response that the FB platform offers with simple mobile connectivity, wide audience exposure etc the LDDB forums aren't going to challenge FB any time soon for the more 'social chit-chat' aspect of things but as sega_nomad and others have pointed out too, I really think LDDB forums totally exceed anything on FB as an invaluable source of information. And does LDDB really want or need to compete directly with FB when each can satisfy somewhat different niches and complement one another?

They say word-of-mouth is the best and cheapest form of marketing and that is also a strength of FB with people liking and sharing all sorts of things with commercial links and community groups etc. I've often seen LDDB mentioned on Laserdisc Forever (LDF) though usually in reference to the disc database itself. Occasionally I see LDDB forums mentioned as a resource to check for technical information but not as often and hence there sometimes seems to be quite a bit of repetition of similar questions coming up on LDF. (Actually one post I read was along the lines of 'check with the experts on LDDB'!)

Perhaps those of us who frequent LDF as well could offer some advice to those questions but also make a point of linking to the forums AND making the suggestion to search them using Google (or other search engine) but with LDDB as one of the search terms (generally I've found that more effective than the built-in search and might save newbies some frustration). Also I've seen it done here in response to a question when someone is feeling very helpful and provides a direct link to a useful thread; the same could be done in a response to some of the questions there.

The more people who have a look into the LDDB forums and realise their value the better, and hopefully the more they pass the message onto others. Some of those people might also be able to make some useful contributions here (rather than a constant stream of posts about what I'm watching now ;) )

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017, 16:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

For me FB had too many people picking up LDs and players who didn't know a thing and were trying to flip them.
Also braging about old P/S discs they picked up and got stroked from "the great find"

I know that people should be happy about their finds but don't get stroked over a 50 cent common LD.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017, 18:15 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

rein-o wrote:
For me FB had too many people picking up LDs and players who didn't know a thing and were trying to flip them.
Also braging about old P/S discs they picked up and got stroked from "the great find"

I know that people should be happy about their finds but don't get stroked over a 50 cent common LD.

Hey don't knock my 18th copy of Speed I got free with another used LD player....at least it's got a decent sleeve this time. :lol:
But...yes what you are saying is often the case. I'm not a FB person, never will be.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 00:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Hey don't knock my 18th copy of Speed I got free with another used LD player....at least it's got a decent sleeve this time. :lol:
But...yes what you are saying is often the case. I'm not a FB person, never will be.

Leave it to the Irish to find levity in finding another copy of speed ! ...... sadly that is pretty funny !
I second laserdisc_fan, not a Facebook person, NEVER will be .......
Dont usually communicate in absolutes............

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 20:51 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I am going back to old ways. Click on laserdisc and movies threads opposed to view new posts. I am so bored out of my mind about these "Can you help me fix this LD player" posts. There is really like 6 (give or take) of us old timers left here from what I can see. Where are those stories about the good old LD days or excitement over your new purchase for a difficult to find rare LD?

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 20:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Have we reached the Restaurant at the End of the Laserdisc :silent:

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 02:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

LDDB to the FB bunch is like an old Encyclopedia, while FB is like People magazine. Why hunt threw our forum when you can just type out a post and maybe get an answer from an expert almost immediately.

I have been reading this forum since it started, my lack of computer skills limits my participation, still haven't figured out how to insert a photo.

In the beginning we saw a lot of posts from enthusiast/dealers, the same thing is happening on FB. Not that there is anything wrong with that, money makes the world go round and all.

I have always liked the LD reviews from folks that new something about the LD itself and not just a movie review that you can get from IMDb. I wished there was a "like" button like FB has to show my appreciation for the review. Why post one if nobody responds.

I don't have an answer, but I did hear this on NPR from a guest speaker and it went something like "We are attracted to friends we find interesting, the day may come when our friends no longer find us interesting".

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 10:43 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I was attending a wedding recently and it was at quite a remote but beautiful location which I'd never been to before.
Now I was fully aware that most of the younger folks attending would all have their SatNav devices either on their phones or in their cars. I decided to do it the old way -a few basic directions to keep me on the right track and then when I was getting near I would simply stop and ask someone local to get more precise directions that were not visible on the map. This worked perfectly.

Throughout the day I was speaking to a few people at the wedding and sure enough virtually everyone else had used some hi-tech device to get their way there. One car had 3 people with separate SatNav devices and they still got lost and ended up taking a much longer and completely unnecessary route through a major town. They were stunned when I told them I stopped to ask someone directions. It seems to me that younger generations have lost the art of simple communication. They instead prefer to hide behind a device and send you a tweet or emoticon instead. It's all about instant gratification for them and there is no real effort put into the correspondence. I see this everywhere I look.

I guess the moral of the story is sometimes the old fashioned way is still the most efficient.
Facebook has its fans - its a general purpose platform that gives anyone a stage for doing virtually anything.
For many people who aren't too into 'anything' in particular that is probably all they need, after all it doesn't require much of a platform to post a few trout pouts! For those a little more discerning in their taste, who perhaps like a deeper source of info then conventional blogs or forums are usually best even if it's viewed by today's generation as completely archaic.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 21 Apr 2017, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 09:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I must say one thing about the Navigation in my car... I think it is one of the greatest inventions ever since the wheel.
There can of course be problems with bad routing or outdated maps or whatever, but still it helps me getting to places
fine that I've never been before. I remember the old days with co-drivers handling the maps trying to navigate while driving,
it sometimes worked, and sometimes it did not :P Also asking strangers for directions, yes sure I'd use that as a last resort,
but I am happy when I can avoid contact with people. Yes, I am an oddball.

Facebook... while I use it myself, I am in two LD groups among other groups that are about stuff I am interested in, I think
it is a terrible invention and I wish I had never registered for it. 1984 is becoming a reality thanks to many things, but also
thanks to Facebook and its huge "Database". I feel you may still be able to somewhat free speech in forums, it is better to
only talk about basic stuff on Facebook. Who knows who all reads the stuff there...

About the happy times and LD... I'd still love to complete my anime collection, which are mostly anime LD series or OVA's that come
in several volumes which I still miss a few from. These days it is 99% of the time YAJ auctions is where I look. Found an anime art-book
two weeks ago I had been looking for, it's not hard to find really but it gets expensive and most of the time misses the first press
privilege which is some kinda paper airplane thing. Also still looking for the Akira DVD-Audio. One day I'll manage to grab it along with
some LD's. I hope :) As long as my X9 works and my money doesn't run out I'll be an LD lover.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 14:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

confederate wrote:
allenwrench wrote:

With the price of Blu-rays coming down and finding them along with hddvds in the used market, I find myself spending less time with my LDs, may be that's true for the rest of us.

The problem with LD is that the more time passes the more limited the entire LD catalogue becomes.
That's why I think that people like us start using their LD players less and less.
I still love my HLD-XO and I am still interested in it but the truth is it is becoming more and more difficult to find appealing titles for it. I have already watched the
majority of titles from the 20th century that I would be interested in it.
If it wasn't for this site I think my interested in LD as a format would have long vanished.

Yet, people like me who are trying to get their first LD player has to pay something close to $300 (no shipping included) to get a decent one, and a quick search on ebay looks like LDs are more expensive than you can find some Blurays/ DVDs ranging anywhere from $10-40.

That being said, every year passes means more LD players are dying, less people are interested, less people are going to sell LDs. Probably every LD collector has his sufficient share by now and he will lock it in his home never to be released to the public. We have LDs but no LD player owners willing to buy, making the LD merchant raise his LD prices to make it worthwhile his time (when he makes the sale) which keeps the consumer confused "Why should I buy a $300 player and a $20/title which I can stream it(and hundreds of other movies/shows) on my 4k TV for $10/m off Netflix in higher resolution".

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 12:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It has been quite some time since I dropped in to see what is new here at the lddb forum. Always enjoyed my visits here especially with the wealth of information available. Good to see some of the familiar faces are still here.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 10:18 
True fan
True fan

confederate wrote:
allenwrench wrote:
Personally, I love the disc reviews, I've probably read all of them.

I recently joined the Laserdisc Forever Facebook group due to the void here, they are a very entertaining bunch. They do need some help from the "Old Guard" though.

Even for them "Facebook Forever" with over 5000 followers recently did a "who's out there" post, received less than 200 replies.

With the price of Blu-rays coming down and finding them along with hddvds in the used market, I find myself spending less time with my LDs, may be that's true for the rest of us.

The problem with LD is that the more time passes the more limited the entire LD catalogue becomes. When I started collecting LDs in 2001, most known movies at that time were
available on LD including Fight Club or Star Wars Episode I. Even in 2005 or 2007 that was the case but today it is different.
That's why I think that people like us start using their LD players less and less. And I also think disclord's early demise most certainly had an impact on the forum as a whole.
His expertise will forever be missed. His posts were simply awesome.
I still love my HLD-XO and I am still interested in it but the truth is it is becoming more and more difficult to find appealing titles for it. I have already watched the
majority of titles from the 20th century that I would be interested in it.
I love the reviews, too. They are awesome. That's one of the best things about this forum.
If it wasn't for this site I think my interested in LD as a format would have long vanished.

Have you seen all of the 98-2000 titles? There's some pretty good ones and the hunt for the rare ones can be fun (if you have the money required) X-Men, The Cell, The 6th Day

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 10:32 
True fan
True fan

benmbe wrote:
Good evening to : Substance, Laserking, Allenwrench, Audioboyz1973, Confederate, Rein-o, Giannis & Firehorse44,

Guys it's so good to read your posts of concern, enthusiasm, maybe worrying, and of the realisation that this fine format is cherished by those here.

All of your comments are valued and I agree with what you have all mentioned and more.

I must own up to the fact that my own lack of input here has been due to the fact that my KURO 60' Plasma screen has become unwatchable, and either this can possibly be repaired, or replaced with a 4K Screen.

Suffice to say that I have not been watching any Laserdiscs of late.

My hope is to purchase a 4K Screen, but unfortunately available funds are lacking and also because I paid up a loan 3 1/2 years early, I have got used to being debt free....... It's a Lovely feeling.

You know what guys, I have made good Friends Here and one Friend in particular is now a Friend for life.
For this very individual is more like a Brother a priceless Gift.
May we all look upon each member as gifts in Men & Women here, because without viewing each member as such, then this surely diminishes this site ''for it is with such members that make it work & worth visiting each time''.

---------------------------------------

I have been a customer to two retailers and both have helped myself with purchases where it has taken myself a number of payments over the phone, to complete ie: they keep the product in store until paid for and then they have delivered, or I have picked this up in person.

It can be tough waiting for equipment this way but at least it stops myself from getting in debt.

I must also mention that I very rarely go on any other forums, due to the fact that I enjoy and have become acustomed to appreciating your posts here Guys.
The only other sites that I personally visit to keep up with the new tech is as follows: AV FORUMS UK / BLU-RAY.COM, However I have not posted on these sites for a long time, I just browse and read about the latest Software and hardware releases.

The negative input posts here I have largely ignorred as I do not wish to add anything, it's often not that healthy to do so, and can in some cases feed the Fire ''if you know what I mean''

I know that at times I have sent Personal messeges to those who I have not corresponded with for some time, in order to inform them that they are appreciated, and well thought of.
I do appreciate this site and it's members however, I feel that we would welcome a SKYPE feature or the like where we could communicate, what I am saying is that this site could offer more, in order to bring us enthusiasts closer........

I am not sure with in what form this could take, or some other similar ehanced comms feature ........ What say you?

Some time ago we shared photos of ourselves, so that we could see those with whom we were / are communicating with, and I for one fealt closer to each member...... no matter how small, and the point is this: it brought us a little closer somehow by putting a photo to each individuals post contribution.

Sorry for myself going on Guys but I am just speaking out loud here, in the hope that by combining thoughts & minds we could invigorate the interest back to those healthy joyful levels that we once had.

I hope this message ''just like what I have read from yourselves'' helps in some way to bring back the joy.

Yes of course this format ended production of Movies late September 2001, and yes the Prices of around 12 titles are, or can be astronomical to the point that I have not been able to purchase what I would Like ie: TITAN A.E in particular.

Laserdisc enthusiasm for me has not faded but the newer Blu-Ray / UHG4K titles speak for themselves.

I love the look of laserdisc, the handling, the sound of the players ect, and the rest is what it is & that is a natural journey, but you know what I am so glad that I have never parted with my LD Software & Hardware collection..........

Any way I shall end this message by mentioning that we need to stick together and keep going, form more friendships, and turn this site into an even more unique experience than it already is.

What say yourselves?

Sincerest Regards to everyone.

:thumbup: :wave: :thumbup:

Wonderful commentary. A great read. Personally I can vouch for Bembe as he reached out to me when I was away from the forum for an extended period of time. One of the things I noticed on the forum is that a person can post a question or commentary and ten million people can read it, but it gets maybe two or three responses . In some cases it may be warranted but I've seen some thoughtful and interesting posts turned into a morgue either because of laziness or members seemingly feeling that their input is irrelevant.

But no matter how many pep talks are given, the site seems to find more misses than hits these days. Reach out and enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2