It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:57

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Roughly what percentage of your covers have damage?
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 08:51 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I was glancing across the room at my shelves of laserdiscs the other day and it was interesting to note roughly how many covers had some sort of damage. I know I can only see edge spine damage, 2 corners and fading but it was still a fairly good indicator of the number affected. Also I could tell the general condition of the sleeve from other wear and tear and sometimes if the OBI was missing etc.

Anyway the conclusion I came to was roughly 2 out of every 100 approx had some sort of damage to the cover so for me that's about 190 sleeves out of 9500 which is not that bad really. Since there is likely to be other damage I can't see such as other corner dings, creases, top/bottom splits, scratches, ringwear etc I tripled that figure and arrived at 6% damaged in total.

Still 6% of my covers with some damage is lower than I expected given the age of these items and also how easily they are damaged. I think the percentage for me is quite low because I'm really fussy and always buy the best copies rather than the cheapest copies. I'll generally pass a title by for sale unless it is in the condition I desire unless its insanely rare.

Post subject: Re: Roughly what percentage of your covers have damage?
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 14:16 
True fan
True fan

I have about 100 discs and I would say about a half dozen or so have notable damage to the covers, so that's about 6% for me as well. If I were to include damaged discs I believe I have 2 with scratches that affect playback, I also have a few where the label has come off on one or both sides.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 01:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good morning Guys,

If you are referring to Corners or Spine, or possibly including cover art.

I must admit that when I see a Laserdisc for sale that I am looking for & interested in, it has to be in Perfect Condition.

I have around a Thousand possibly more Laserdiscs, and out of this number I would say ''and this is a rough figure''

Around the 15 Mark have a ever so very slight split where the disc's were dropped a little carelessly into the sleeve.
Possibly included are those with a couple of mil on the corners creased / pushed in.

All discs are in perfect condition, all have after market anti static inner and protective outer sleeves.
The last Nine LD Titles that I received from Mr Santini on Monday 10th of July, were 150% Superbly packaged and in perfect condition.
From opening the box and then checking all contents carefully, took the best part of around 2 hours Roughly to check, and I still need to check the ''Star Wars Definitive Box Set contents New'' All Japanese versions.

Kind Regards to everyone

Attachments:
Received July 10th 2017.jpg
Received July 10th 2017.jpg [ 109.25 KiB | Viewed 1379 times ]

Last edited by benmbe on 19 Jul 2017, 20:07, edited 2 times in total. _________________
Το ταξίδι για την αλήθεια κάθε σκάφος δεμένα, κατόπιν δεν είναι να ληφθούν, ή μάλλον βάδισαν

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2017, 04:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I bought several lots, and you get what you get. 25% mint, 25% near mint, 45% fair and 5% <fair.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 10:10 
True fan
True fan

Most of my LD covers are in pretty good shape with varying spine wear . I even have a few that are in near mint condition. Personally though, my preference for fully intact jackets has changed. I don't care as much anymore if the jacket is heavily worn when making a purchase as long as the disc(s) are in good playable shape. Sure, I'd like the cover to be at least on readable condition but I'm not playing the jacket, just the disc ;)

Not too long ago I bought a copy of the 1989 version of The Blob for 6 bucks because the jacket was literally held together by duct tape with a stamp on the back saying, "property of US Army" believe it or not. This same title normally sells for 20 to 30 dollars which I didn't feel like paying. I cleaned the disc and it played great. I get a kick out of playing discs in which their cover art has some mileage on it. It's like a rescue mission . :)

Some people collect for overall appearance condition which is understandable. I'm just into the playback of a disc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]