It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:27

Page 8 of 23 [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 16:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Since it turned out the japanese release of The Drunken Master II is both cut and cropped, I picked up a Hong Kong release instead that is uncut and not cropped (correct aspect ratio). A bit weird that it is split over two discs and in individual sleeves instead of a gatefold cover. The entire movie would fit one disc. Guess this was either done so that video rental places could charge more for the rent, or it is split up for SVCD and for some reason they used the same split on the LD.

PostPosted: 28 May 2016, 14:44 
True fan
True fan

Just got back from a yard sale where I got these:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show box set (And it has the cd!)
The Muppet Movie
Akira
National Lampoon's Vacation
Paramount Promotional Sampler
Beavis and Butt-head Do America
Thomas Dolby The Golden Age of Video
The Compleat Tex Avery

All for the whopping sum of $20. Plus the sale was only about a mile from me - usually the sales with LDs listed are off in east Jesus and when I get there all they have are the great movies like Alien(s), Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones, ad nauseum.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2016, 18:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Got a rather nice Tenchi Muyo lot today! Even got my first animation cel too which I found in one of the boxes. :)

Tenchi Muyo in Love: The Movie (1996) [PILA-1390]
Tenchi Muyo!: The Movie 2: Manatsu no Eve (1997) [PILA-7074]
Tenchi Muyo! in Love 2: Haruka naru omoi (Tenchi Muyo Movie 3) (1999) [PILA-1518]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.01 (1992) [PILA-1133]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.02 (1992) [PILA-1134]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.03 [PILA-1135]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.04 (1992) [PILA-1136]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.05 (1993) [PILA-1137]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.06 (1993) [PILA-1138]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.07 Special (1993) [PILA-1184]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.08 (1994) [PILA-1185]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.09 (1994) [PILA-1186]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.10 (1995) [PILA-1187]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.11 (1995) [PILA-1188]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.12 (1995) [PILA-1189]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki: vol.13 [PILA-1190]
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki Sound File (1994) [PILA-1241]
Tenchi Muyo! Bangaihen Galaxy Police Mihoshi (1994) [PILA-1242]
Tenchi Muyo! LIVE (1994) [PILA-1260]

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2016, 23:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Got Urotsukidoji 1: Legend of Overfiend (1989) [R0332] the other day. Quickly found out it is what (tentacle) nightmares are made of, so won't be watching it again. :lol:

This lot isn't exactly laserdisc, but I'm sneaking it in anyway since it came with the LD. The LD and these DVDs were bought from the owner of EC Entertainment. He sadly doesn't have any LDs left in stock, but still have a bunch of DVDs. Took the chance while I had it. :)

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2016, 01:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

samaron wrote:
Since it turned out the japanese release of The Drunken Master II is both cut and cropped, I picked up a Hong Kong release instead that is uncut and not cropped (correct aspect ratio). A bit weird that it is split over two discs and in individual sleeves instead of a gatefold cover. The entire movie would fit one disc. Guess this was either done so that video rental places could charge more for the rent, or it is split up for SVCD and for some reason they used the same split on the LD.

Really nice, I have a lot of Mei Ah discs I got from asian places selling them off around Melbourne and most are in two separate sleeves. Don't know why.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 07:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've got just disc 1 on the left. I had no idea it was separated on 2 discs- since I have never played it!
...That's a little dissapointing to hear now though.
I guess the first half of the movie isn't worth anything:(

Oh well- I think I got it for just a dollar at a garage sale about 10 years ago.

Attachments:
1465705849943.jpg
1465705849943.jpg [ 103.38 KiB | Viewed 3637 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 08:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yeah, it is disc 2 which contains the part (last scene) that makes the LD release worth something. The blu-ray and DVD is cut and/or cropped. The LD release from Hong Kong is more or less the only way to view the movie in original aspect ratio uncut with the original soundtrack. It does exist on VHS and VCD too, which makes the LD the obvious choice...

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 09:32 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well hopefully I will find some use for it. Maybe I'll frame the jacket or something. I do like the cover art.
...better yet, that would be hilarious if just disc 2 came up at auction or something! LOL Funny!!

That Mei Ah company has some pretty nice releases! One of my favorites has to be Bram Stokers The Mummy.

Attachments:
1459993786784.jpg
1459993786784.jpg [ 48.03 KiB | Viewed 3625 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 16:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
samaron wrote:

Really nice, I have a lot of Mei Ah discs I got from asian places selling them off around Melbourne and most are in two separate sleeves. Don't know why.

I can tell you why they are in two different sleeves since I used to live in Macau for a long time.

Many people used to own LD players in Hong Kong / Macau but they never actually owned any discs as the LDs in these two former European colonies
were rental titles. The rental market was huge and some titles were sold in two separate sleeves so they could make some extra money by charging twice
the price for one movie.

Funnily, two years ago I saw that very disc in Hong Kong for sale for 10 Hong Kong Dollars ... BUT it was only disc II ! So disc I was missing and it felt daft
buying half a movie so I didn't even bother.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 23:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, exactly. That confirms my suspicion. :) Actually disc 2 would be like a third of the movie. :lol: But it is the disc that contains the censored/cut scene, though!

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 12:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Confederate :!:
If only you would have purchased that part 2 Disc -we could have eventually combined the set!!!
...oh well who would have known!! LOL 8-)

WOW- It would be JUST like combining the maps in Cutthroat Island!! HAHA
But only this time...
The legend of the lost Drunken Master 2 DISCS :eh: :ugeek:

Attachments:
1465694209987.jpg
1465694209987.jpg [ 35.03 KiB | Viewed 3588 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 18:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yesterday, I got in the US mail the LD box set for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs which I bought off Amazon. The box set was shipped in a large cardboard box with lots of packing "peanuts" and arrived in excellent shape. The box set was a pleasant surprise to me in that it is NEW and still sealed with cellophane. I have the CLV LD so I am in no hurry to remove the cellophane and open the box. Maybe, I will open it someday; but, for now it will stay sealed.

This is the second unopened box set that I got from Amazon. Last April, I got 2001, the 25'th anniversary box set that is new and still sealed.

If this keeps up, I will buy all my LD box sets off Amazon (lol).
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 21:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'd have the CLV Snow White too but I'd rip the shrink off that thing instantly. Not only is shrink wrap for...shrink wrap collectors, but I'd be interested to see if the CAV ver plays even better than the already amazing CLV one.

For some Snow White on LD is the perfect level of restoration. It's totally clean from foreign defects but still has all the unique texture of this movie. Also, much of the color variation and frame jitter is still there which the BR (which is also amazing) removes. Since this movie is 4:3 it uses full LD resolution, which is always nice.

I've watched this movie a couple of times recently and it impresses me more than it ever did. There are techniques this Disney never really used again, or used a lot less after SW. You can see how it blazed trails when watching it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 22:50 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

dumbchemist wrote:
Yesterday, I got in the US mail the LD box set for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs which I bought off Amazon. The box set was shipped in a large cardboard box with lots of packing "peanuts" and arrived in excellent shape. The box set was a pleasant surprise to me in that it is NEW and still sealed with cellophane. I have the CLV LD so I am in no hurry to remove the cellophane and open the box. Maybe, I will open it someday; but, for now it will stay sealed.

This is the second unopened box set that I got from Amazon. Last April, I got 2001, the 25'th anniversary box set that is new and still sealed.

If this keeps up, I will buy all my LD box sets off Amazon (lol).

You HAVE to open it. The supplements are well worth the "un-minting" of the box.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 00:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I removed the cellophane on the box and took the contents out. In the box were 3 LD's: 2 with the movie, a 3'rd LD (The Making of the Movie), a book about making of the movie and a set of lighographs. Good news: the box, the lithographs and the book are in new condition. Bad news: the second LD has 2 cracks on side 3. The cracks are on opposite sides of the center hole and are from the center to about 2/3 out. The remaining 1/3 is still intact. I don't believe side 3 will play with such a crack.

At this point, I am not sure what to do. I could try to get my money back as long as I do not have to pay shipping to return the box. Or, I could just keep the box as it is in such new condition. Another option is to buy another SW box set and (hopefully) the second movie LD is good and could replace the cracked LD. I did the latter with a Batman and Robin LD and it worked out okay even though it cost me extra $'s.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 01:49 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Interesting :thumbup:

Attachments:
1466842926030.jpg
1466842926030.jpg [ 79.01 KiB | Viewed 3462 times ]

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 02:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

dumbchemist wrote:
I removed the cellophane on the box and took the contents out. In the box were 3 LD's: 2 with the movie, a 3'rd LD (The Making of the Movie), a book about making of the movie and a set of lighographs. Good news: the box, the lithographs and the book are in new condition. Bad news: the second LD has 2 cracks on side 3. The cracks are on opposite sides of the center hole and are from the center to about 2/3 out. The remaining 1/3 is still intact. I don't believe side 3 will play with such a crack.

At this point, I am not sure what to do. I could try to get my money back as long as I do not have to pay shipping to return the box. Or, I could just keep the box as it is in such new condition. Another option is to buy another SW box set and (hopefully) the second movie LD is good and could replace the cracked LD. I did the latter with a Batman and Robin LD and it worked out okay even though it cost me extra $'s.

It got cracked inside that massive box!?? That must have been dropped from 100' in in the dead of winter. Either that or it's re-sealed.

This is why I never buy sealed. I bought a sealed Babe: Pig in the City which arrived cracked and I was sick about it. Now if something is sealed I tell the seller to open it. If he doesn't I back out.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 04:19 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

[quote="signofzeta"It got cracked inside that massive box!?? That must have been dropped from 100' in in the dead of winter. Either that or it's re-sealed.

This is why I never buy sealed. I bought a sealed Babe: Pig in the City which arrived cracked and I was sick about it. Now if something is sealed I tell the seller to open it. If he doesn't I back out.[/quote]Yeah, if it was truly mint, it should have had a golden sticker on the back of the box on the cellophane describing the contents of the box.

If it didn't have that, it was a re-seal. And yeah, since there was never a standalone CAV release, there's no way to replace the broken disc unless you get another box set. Unless you get the odd ebay lot of the discs separate from the box.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 06:49 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I opened a sealed copy of Cannibal Ferox a couple years back- which was oddly missing the rpm record, and it was 100% sealed. Possibly they may have run short on those rmp sountracks towards the end of the production run? ... I don't know:/ weird.

Attachments:
1466842913543.jpg
1466842913543.jpg [ 45.44 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 16:26 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

lasercamp wrote:
I opened a sealed copy of Cannibal Ferox a couple years back- which was oddly missing the rpm record, and it was 100% sealed. Possibly they may have run short on those rmp sountracks towards the end of the production run? ... I don't know:/ weird.

That actually makes your copy more rare with the production defect like that ;)

Page 8 of 23 [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next