It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:32

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Discovison still frame as dead side: possible preproduction?
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 20:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi,

Maybe an interesting dead side found on my CAV copy of American Graffiti as per photo below.
Unlike another Discovision which has the exact same side in playable version and which lasts only a few minutes, this particular sides lasts much longer (the recorded section ends about an inch before the outside, whereas it only measures about an inch wide on the later side I can play).
Here, mint seems to say 01-100A2-3 or 01-100A7-3 but not sure.
The plastic of this particular (if particular) dead side seems different and won't appear crystal clear after removing the wax. Instead, it looks as it had been sanded (see second photo).
The small track between the blue label and the "video" section seems also a bit thiner than usual.
Could this be a prototype still-frame dead side before using the same image during a shorter time ?
Or is it just a normal "no program" side, but in real dead side version ? Weird...

Attachment:
Dsc_0113.jpg
Dsc_0113.jpg [ 76.87 KiB | Viewed 1633 times ]

Last edited by david.winter on 20 Feb 2018, 22:19, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Discovison still frame as dead side: possible preproduct
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 20:32 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Attachment:
16-001-5.jpg
16-001-5.jpg [ 149.44 KiB | Viewed 1631 times ]

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 05:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Looks like this bit of the "Jesus Christ Superstar" writeup isn't quite accurate ;)

http://www.blamld.com/DiscoVision/Unive ... 2CAV_2.htm

"Some copies have been found with the typical Japanese "Disco-Vision No Program" dead side. This is a fully mastered side with the words "Disco-Vision No Program this Side". While this isn't unusual to find on Japanese mastered and pressed CLV title, this is the only known occurrence of an Carson pressed side being included on a CAV title. This would indicate that Jesus Christ Superstar was still being assembled long after titles such as Star Trek: The Motion Picture were done for Paramount. No other odd-sided Carson pressed title is known to have these dead sides."

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 08:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

What's the point with JCS ? Here it's American Graffiti. Blaine (blamld.com) said he never saw the US "blue screen" as a dead side for that title.
He also explained the difference between the US and Jap versions of the blue screen (former is long, later lasts a few minutes only).
I also found the Jap "blue screen" on another title, this time extended (red label).
Anyhow.....

What would really amaze me is whether any preproduction side has ever been used as a dead side considering how many defects they had back then.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 18:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

david.winter wrote:
What's the point with JCS ? Here it's American Graffiti. Blaine (blamld.com) said he never saw the US "blue screen" as a dead side for that title.
He also explained the difference between the US and Jap versions of the blue screen (former is long, later lasts a few minutes only).
I also found the Jap "blue screen" on another title, this time extended (red label).
Anyhow.....

What would really amaze me is whether any preproduction side has ever been used as a dead side considering how many defects they had back then.

To be clear, just because I've never seen the specific dead side on a specific title, or had it reported to me, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This "blue screen" would have been produced VERY LATE in the DiscoVision Associates reign. It is possible that any 5-sided CAV title still in production at the end of 1981 could have this particular "dead" side. The issue with JCS is that is the only title I've come across (I have 3 copies with this "side 6") until David found this American Graffiti. I would not be surprised to find this can be found on "Coal Miner's Daughter", "Electric Horseman" or "1941".

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]