It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 19:35

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Certain lds won't play automatically
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 00:19 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi.

In the last 10 years since I have been using laserdiscs, I noticed that certain discs won't play all the way through on their own. Sometimes on certain special features, I'll have to press the Play button on the unit in order to start playing those features. For example, on the Wizard of Oz The Ultimate Oz 3 disc set, on Side six, the left and right analog channels contain audio interviews. In order to get through them, I have to press the Play button several times because it stops at certain points, sometimes in the middle of a sentence.

Why does it do this with some lds including the Oz one? Is there a way I can fix the player so that I won't have to keep pressing the Play button to start special features? The player I have is a Pioneer CLD-5201.

Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Rob Bendtzen

Post subject: Re: Certain lds won't play automatically
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 00:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I take it S201.

Please post what disc reference number it is that you have.

I would say that it has to do with the CAV chapters on the extra disc and is normal but not knowing the disc I can't say for sure what the issue really is.

I do remember owning a disc that had extras on the CAV side and it would stop then you would either press step or play and then it would go to text
again for you to step through.
So it may be normal on this disc and player.

Post subject: Re: Certain lds won't play automatically
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 02:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s operating as designed. There is way to override this on some players but not many, just some early decks and I can’t remember why.

It’s main use is for CAV still frames. If a bunch of features all pause at the end of each then that’s that was the decision of the discs producer. Most will only hold at the beginning of a segment that has some stills in it or is all stills or is interactive in some way like Video Essentials. If these sections on the Oz disc are multi audio then perhaps it’s pausing so that you have time to pick the track you want to hear. I don’t have this disc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]