It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:07

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Do you collect ‘Pan & Scan’ Laserdiscs?
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2022, 23:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have upgraded some older P&S LDs to their Letterbox release - this usually gives the added benefit of digital sound as well. The P&S covers can always be inserted into LP frames as art! But as stated, many releases are P&S only (about 20% of my collection). And I have quite a few in Academy or 'video' ratio, although the majority of my LDs are widescreen.

But, I'm not sure it's a cut and dry issue. Douglas Pratt, author of the heavyweight Laser Video Disc Companions, often compares and contrasts releases of the same film in different aspect ratios. The results are sometimes surprising - in a fair number of cases he prefers P&S, feeling either that the transfer is better, the composition is more suited to home viewing, or that the letterbox is matting out too much picture. So, I wouldn't necessarily ditch a title merely because it pans around. . .

Post subject: Re: Do you collect ‘Pan & Scan’ Laserdiscs?
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2022, 12:51 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I'm trying to avoid P&S releases.. i was already in late 80's trying to collect (or tape from TV broadcasts) the OAR (original aspect ratio) versions so.. but it's true, sometimes there isn't other versions around for some films. But it irritates me greatly.

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2