It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:35

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: What is this strange video issue on some laserdiscs?
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2022, 23:15 
True fan
True fan

Looks like video analog source messes up for 30 seconds to maybe a minute or two but then the video cleans up. Reminds me of what banged up vhs's sometimes do. I wouldn't call this rot. Is it just a manufacturing defect? I have two laserdiscs that do this. Sleepstalker and now Disturbing Behavior. I haven't watched all of Disturbing Behavior so I don't know what other issues it might have but I skimmed through it earlier seeing a strange flickering that analog vhs tapes do when their damaged. I don't know why some laserdiscs do this. Is it a defect when they manufactured th disc or would all copies of this movie have this weird defect?

Post subject: Re: What is this strange video issue on some laserdiscs?
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2022, 00:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Does this happen only when trying to capture or directly through your TV?

When you add stuff in the chain you may sometimes cause glitches, I've had it on some things with LD the image will just drop out with a black screen
and I know the disc was fine in the past and fine on other players.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2022, 00:28 
True fan
True fan

Well that is interesting. I did not get that weird analog flipping picture on my Panasonic LX-900 but did on my Panasonic LX-H670. Maybe the laserdisc doesn't like the alignment on my LX-H670. Also, I obviously don't have the laserdisc that helps the alignment on players. I find this quite fascinating. Also, I have not even came close to finish watching this movie to see if it suffers from any issues. My Father fell asleep so I stopped watching. I do think this an awesome underrated movie. I think it was a remake of some 80s movie about weird behavior problems with students in a town. I forget the name of that but maybe I'll watch that one another day with my dad. I'm sure if I do enough research online I can find the name of that movie out or someone on here might be able to name it.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2022, 03:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Maybe the laserdisc doesn't like the alignment on my LX-H670.

I have never known of a laserdisc that expressed to any of my players about their dislike to their alignment :lol:.

I think you have told us enough from previous posts that none of your issues are disc related but hardware related. I think it's time for you to put your H670 out of its misery and......God forbid I say it.....get an equivalent Pioneer. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2022, 13:20 
True fan
True fan

The music video after the movie and deleted scenes is in pretty high def looking quality for a laserdisc. Makes me shocked that laserdisc was capable of some great video quality but it doesn't seem like they ever truly took advantage of that as much when the actual movie is playing. Yeah I know this format was designed for fat tube tvs but the music video looked high def on a 4k 65 inch monitor. I should capture this later to show what the music video looks like. I was impressed by it video quality wise. Don't know what I should use to capture it. My Hauppauge PVR for higher bitrate or my Elgato Non-HD which has lower bitrate but better colors. I guess Elgato Non-HD makes more sense to show off the colors better? I just feel like Hauppauge is better when actual motion is at play even if I feel like the colors are duller looking.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2022, 06:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jesuslovesgood wrote:
The music video after the movie and deleted scenes is in pretty high def looking quality for a laserdisc. Makes me shocked that laserdisc was capable of some great video quality but it doesn't seem like they ever truly took advantage of that as much when the actual movie is playing.

The explanation is in your question.

Video sources had minimal post-processing required to be transferred to LD (basically the same signals) and looked very clean.
Some very old 80's live concerts do look very good because it was a straight-to-LD process.

Movies (shot on films) needed a conversion from film to video, this was not a trivial task as the frame rate was different, color scales to rebalance, etc. and you can clearly see the technology improving from 80's to end of 90's movie transfers. These were all the "remastered" releases, that sometimes added so much DNR that it looked actually worse!

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]