It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:14

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is it safe to leave laserdiscs not in use in the player?
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2022, 00:12 
True fan
True fan

I typically do not leave laserdiscs in a player but was wondering if this could cause warp issues over time.

Post subject: Re: Is it safe to leave laserdiscs not in use in the player?
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2022, 00:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

No formats have ever been left in any of my players, CDs, DVDs, LDs, Vinyl, VHS etc.

I have to correct this, I've only left stuff in for a few days at most when watching something like series or didn't have time to
watch other episodes or the entire film.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2022, 02:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Interesting question. I don't know, but the safe option is to remove it.

Heat is my main concern, but the amount of heat a disc will take while player is "powered off" will vary player by player.

The majority of my watching these days is right before I go to sleep. If it is a cheap disc, I'll leave it in until morning. Otherwise I remove it.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2022, 08:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

In my 30+ years owning LD players, I have never kept a disc in any of my players for any extended period of non-use. It’s just not how I like to care for my collection since it’s always recommended to store discs vertically.

However, it probably might be okay since Pioneer did make the LC-V200, 50 disc changer, with no expectation to unload the unit on a daily basis. I think the important thing is that the disc is fully supported on its load tray when not playing (unlike being supported at the center when the disc is spinning up) which is what all players I see do when in shutdown or standby mode (but probably not a top loading player).

cplusplus wrote:
Heat is my main concern, but the amount of heat a disc will take while player is "powered off" will vary player by player.

That is a good thing to point out. When I worked at an AV shop back in the day, I was removing a disc from an LD-S1 that had just been sitting “on” for hours (not playing) and I literally burned my hand lifting it up. Also, I did notice the disc bending in my hand as it became really soft from the heat. I can only assume that the S1 had all its hot running boards under the tray which is not typical of more lower cost players (so this is unique and not typical of players in general).

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2022, 15:27 
True fan
True fan

I've noticed that when I take a laserdisc out of my Panasonic LX-900 that sometimes it's not even warm and other times it is warm. Is this coincidence or are some laserdiscs manufactured better than others? Are they using different material or is it just coincidence? Also does the laser work harder when there's scratching on a disc which could generate more heat or is that not how things work? Maybe no one on here knows why my player will play some discs cool but other ones it will warm it up.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2022, 17:22 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Years ago I left a disc in my PR-8210 player after playing it and it warped. I was able to unwarp it and never did that again...

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2022, 22:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
I've noticed that when I take a laserdisc out of my Panasonic LX-900 that sometimes it's not even warm and other times it is warm.

Are you taking out the disc after it had stopped for sometime or right after the disc ends? If it sits around, that is probably producing the heat since a spinning disc acts like a fan to keep the heat at bay.

Also, what type of disc are you spinning? CAV or CLV? A CAV disc spins at a constant 1,800 rpm from start to finish and that would be like a tornado in the player to dissipate heat. A CLV disc starts at 1,800 rpm and gradually slows down to 600 rpm by disc end so the heat dissipation is less effective. Oh… and if you are not familiar with these terms, all you need to know is that CAV discs display “frame numbers” instead of “time numbers” on your front display or OSD.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]