It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: CAV vs CLV motor noise level?
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 08:24 
Hi. Recently I bought my first CAV discs and I'm kinda disappointed and confused. I heard that due to the constant rotation speed CAV discs should produce less noise during playback, but in my case it's completely opposite. All of my CLV discs are nearly silent on my CLD-D925. But when I put a bunch of new (all of them were factory sealed and 100% without laser rot or deformations) my player became louder than my vacuum cleaner. Did I misunderstand something or there's a problem with my player?

Post subject: Re: CAV vs CLV motor noise level?
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 10:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

CAV PICTURE quality has less noise and smear than CLV. But yes, it is louder than a CLV disc in term of motor noise. You can find CLV doing same level of loudness at the start of the disc, then the rotation speed dicrease and the disc become silent. CAV has a constant high level of rotation.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 10:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

CAV will be louder since the disc spins @ a constant 1,800 RPM speed (hence their name; Constant Angular Velocity). A CLV disc should have about the same amount of loudness @ the beginning of the disc but of course they slow down (and become more silent) as the laser pick-up moves toward the outer edge.

Part of the problem w/ noise is also related to the weight of newer machines in that they are lighter so they will vibrate more (my heavy CLD-3030, which is probably 10 years older, is still noisy on CAV but it's more like a loud fan). Some remedies that could help reduce some of the issues include placing the player in a cabinet w/ a glass door to block some of the noise. In addition, maybe weighing the player down by stacking another component on top of it and/or placing sorbothane footers under it will help dampen the noise further but overall you just have to accept that the player will be noisier.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 10:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

oh ! ldfan ! same time, same explanation ^^ ! :thumbup: we are syncronise !
And yes, heavy LD players doesn't make so much sound. My CLD-959 is quite silent during all CAV movies. (watched brainstorm in CAV yestarday ! Superb edition, superb movie !)
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 10:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

mimylovesjapan wrote:
oh ! ldfan ! same time, same explanation ^^ ! :thumbup: we are syncronise !
And yes, heavy LD players doesn't make so much sound. My CLD-959 is quite silent during all CAV movies. (watched brainstorm in CAV yestarday ! Superb edition, superb movie !)

Yes!!! That is quite funny :D.

Also, I guess I should have mentioned my CLD-97 (which is of course the 959’s sister) instead of my 3030 but I actually never played a CAV disc in it since I acquired it just over a year ago. I guess I’ll it get out from under my coffee table and spin it up soon since I need to get some minor tune up done to it.

Last edited by ldfan on 17 Dec 2020, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 17:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The beginning of a CLV side is the same as the entirety of a CAV side. Therefore your CLV discs are just as loud, they just start getting quieter right away because the disc is constantly slowing as a CLV disc plays.

Cheaper players and players with a lot of hours will be louder. The shelf its sitting on matters a lot too.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 03:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
In addition, maybe weighing the player down by stacking another component on top of it

This is what I do. Just make sure its not too heavy and the weight is evenly distributed.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]