It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:15

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: How far would you be willing to travel to buy a LD today?
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 16:42 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Curious how many people would prefer to travel to a shop to purchase laserdiscs over purchasing them online.

How far would you be willing to travel?

For example would you fly to another country if there was a large enough inventory of unique titles to view?

Post subject: Re: How far would you be willing to travel to buy a LD today
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 16:58 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I live in Eastern PA, and I've driven as far as Connecticut specifically for an LD player.

I did once visit Fat Kat Records in Virginia (which has a huge used LD inventory), but I was already heading down there for another reason. I don't think I'd head down there specifically to visit that store.

I'd love to visit Japan again, but not specifically for Laserdiscs. It would just be a side perk.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 17:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Probably as far as I would for anything else! Since I don't own a car, travel cost could easily reach the amount where it'd be cheaper to just get them online.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 18:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
Curious how many people would prefer to travel to a shop to purchase laserdiscs over purchasing them online.

Not Far; gasoline isn't cheap.

thank god for the Net; without it, i'd probably still be stuck with the stopgap LD-838D i made do with
while waiting for the opportunity to move up to my dream CLD-3030,
an opportunity that probably never would have come had i none of the usual online channels at my disposal...

laserdisc_fan wrote:
For example would you fly to another country if there was a large enough inventory of unique titles to view?

if i had the wherewithal to do so? in a heartbeat. i'd go to Japan and take at least a week or two to take it all in... and INDULGE.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 21:19 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Local to a degree probably within an 1 hour or 2 but I've not had much luck with LDs in the wild other than randomly goodwill or half price books.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 21:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
laserdisc_fan wrote:

Not Far; gasoline isn't cheap.

If gas isn’t cheap then what are LDs? An average car getting 30MPG at $3 a gallon means that for the price of Star Wars Episode 1 on LD you could drive about 750 miles or so. In the US gas is cheaper than milk and even water in certain situations. Anything more than “free” and people complain when it comes to gasoline for some reason. I pay far more for insurance than I spend on gas, personally. I could fill the tank on my car about 23 times for what it costs for a set of tires, never mind a major repair.

In my case if someone had a Kronolog or a Daicon Film that they’d sell for a good price I’d certainly use it as an excuse to travel. However I live in the middle of the US basically so I have to travel a very long way to leave the country unless the country is Canada (less than 100 miles) or Mexico (1800 miles or so). If another country was a cheap train ride away, like it is for most of Europe, I’d do that, sure.

A round trip ticket to Japan is $1000-2000 so as much as I’d like to spend that much just on an LD shopping trip it doesn’t really add up. They’re going to bill the crap out of those heavy heavy discs to fly them to the US, one way or another.

To me the most I’d spend on an LD is whatever I need to spend to get what I’m looking for but I can’t imagine ever blowing more than $600 on a title ever, and so far I don’t think I’ve ever spent more than $100 or so and that was ages ago. If were buying $3800 discs all day then travel expenses would be a much smaller part of the purchases, and the travel probably more enjoyable than the movies themselves.

Traveling to anime conventions in the 90s basically resulted in my driving as much as 900 miles round trip just to *watch* an LD but obviously we aren’t that content starved anymore. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 02:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Depends on the title(s). My first trip for LDs was 4 hours away, but it netted me my LD player and 50 titles for $50. Totally worth it IMO.

There are a few places within an hour or so of me that routinely have LDs. I will stop in on my way through and always get a few titles. For a $1 or $2 a title, I am usually willing to grab anything that I find remotely interesting.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 09:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I took the late night train in Melbourne to a suburban supermarket carpark to buy 40 or so Hong Kong LDs for about $2 a piece out of some guys boot (trunk to the Americans reading). Total transport cost about $5 return. Avoided the Junkies and scumbags as well. Just gave em the 1000 yard stare.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 10:46 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I personally think that if someone did open a real shop selling LDs it might be a better experience today than how it would have been in the past.

The reason I say this is because back in the heyday of laserdisc no one stocked inventory covering the entire LD period. Say you ran a store in 1991 - a peak year for LD, you might not have much older stock, especially Japanese titles which were deleted fairly swiftly and could only have been imported at great expense. You also would have had nothing for the next decade that laserdisc would continue to be produced from 1992-2001 since you can't order future stock that hasn't been produced in 1991. So really you're selling mostly current blockbuster releases and maybe a few speculative imports which let's face it was pretty boring in terms of content.

Whereas if you opened a store in 2018 you could sell everything from the whole lifespan of the format - discovision to those final late releases, not to mention tonnes of short lived music titles. For me there is no comparison which shop I'd prefer to visit. I honestly think our perception of past laserdisc shops is better than it should really be - perhaps because of the rose tinted glasses we all have on! The fact is I never saw a really decent laserdisc store in my life!

So if such a store really did open I'd be willing to travel to it because it would be the only one of its kind in the world.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 11:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Now that Falcon heavy engines can lift platforms to orbit. (and beyond !) I would venture to Tycho crater ........

See thread "what LaserDiscs would you leave on the moon" ...... LoL :wtf:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 11:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I personally think that if someone did open a real shop selling LDs it might be a better experience today than how it would have been in the past.

The reason I say this is because back in the heyday of laserdisc no one stocked inventory covering the entire LD period. Say you ran a store in 1991 - a peak year for LD, you might not have much older stock, especially Japanese titles which were deleted fairly swiftly and could only have been imported at great expense. You also would have had nothing for the next decade that laserdisc would continue to be produced from 1992-2001 since you can't order future stock that hasn't been produced in 1991. So really you're selling mostly current blockbuster releases and maybe a few speculative imports which let's face it was pretty boring in terms of content.

Whereas if you opened a store in 2018 you could sell everything from the whole lifespan of the format - discovision to those final late releases, not to mention tonnes of short lived music titles. For me there is no comparison which shop I'd prefer to visit. I honestly think our perception of past laserdisc shops is better than it should really be - perhaps because of the rose tinted glasses we all have on! The fact is I never saw a really decent laserdisc store in my life!

So if such a store really did open I'd be willing to travel to it because it would be the only one of its kind in the world.

Well in the depths of inaka Japan there are probably LD only shops, I think there's a good one near Osaka, or there was recently one?? If anything like you describe exists or will exist in 2018 it will exist in Japan where rents are cheap and product is plentiful.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 12:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

firehorse_44 wrote:

I think that would not fall under the storage requirement of "cool and dry place"! :D

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 16:12 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

firehorse_44 wrote:
Now that Falcon heavy engines can lift platforms to orbit. (and beyond !) I would venture to Tycho crater ........

Good or bad titles?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 01:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
firehorse_44 wrote:

Good or bad titles?

NO COMMENT !

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 02:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening / Good day to everyone,

First example;
In the early 2000's I travelled From the here in the UK and travelled by Plain and Train to Rotterdam ''Ro-Disc'' to purchase over £900 of laserdiscs, of which I negotiated a good price for over 15 months with this retailer.

Second example;
Travelled a round trip of around 800 miles in the UK to collect around 50 laserdiscs and an HLD X9 Laserdisc player in my Car.

Thirdly;
Travelled two and a half hours each way From where I live to Whichford in Kent ''Home Cinema Store'' American imports many times for around Six months nearly once a week to purchase many Laserdiscs.

Fourthly;
Travelled over 60 miles each way to Knebworth ''The Disc Emporium'' some time twice a week to purchase my Laserdisc and Imported DVD's from the USA / Japan and South Korea.

Fifthly last but not least;
Travelled around 45 miles each way to LVS in Kings Langley to Purchase My Laserdisc's / US DVD's and Pioneer Elite DVD Player over a period of around two years.

Kind Regards to all members

:wave: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 02:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
firehorse_44 wrote:

I think that would not fall under the storage requirement of "cool and dry place"! :D

That is exactly why setting up a lunar base inside tycho crater would essentially need a "home theatre" library stocked with old and later release LaserDiscs to entertain the denizens on their tour through.
Deep underground there the climate control would be ... well ... essential and ideal for LaserDiscs ! Not to mention really important for the humans living there !

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]