It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:40

Page 5 of 7 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Deleted Extended & Alternate footage from Certain Laserd
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 17:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Regarding The Rescuers:

“Disney also maintained that the images were not placed in the film by any of their animators but were instead inserted during the post-production process. The company decided to recall 3.4 million copies of the video “to keep our promise to families that we can trust and rely on the Disney brand to provide the finest in family entertainment.” - snopes

So while it’s a curiosity for sure it’s also basically a prank version of the film doctored to contain two frames of a woman’s chest. It’s not like animators hid something in there in 1977. I think this one may genuinely count as defective. I mean if I remastered Little Nemo and in the process inserted wang pics it wouldn’t be a new version of the movie that everyone needs to have. It would just be polluted.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 01:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
Regarding The Rescuers:

“Disney also maintained that the images were not placed in the film by any of their animators but were instead inserted during the post-production process. The company decided to recall 3.4 million copies of the video “to keep our promise to families that we can trust and rely on the Disney brand to provide the finest in family entertainment.” - snopes

So while it’s a curiosity for sure it’s also basically a prank version of the film doctored to contain two frames of a woman’s chest. It’s not like animators hid something in there in 1977. I think this one may genuinely count as defective. I mean if I remastered Little Nemo and in the process inserted wang pics it wouldn’t be a new version of the movie that everyone needs to have. It would just be polluted.

I wouldn't say defective. It's on the print that they used as the source for the LD and VHS releases at that time, not added in the production of the LD.

Maybe call it a doctored print.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 03:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s not a defective LD, but it’s a defective version of the movie.

I wish I had it. I’ve been watching the earlier LD lately and it’s not amazing at all.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 03:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

So why was this only on the remastered widescreen version and not the earlier versions?

After reading on snoops I find it amazing that it sounds like they would have used a theatrical print for the reissue, which is not usually
the case with remastered stuff especially Disney stuff.

It would have made more sense to have the nude in the earlier disc not later.

But now its one I must be on the hunt for :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 17:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rein-o wrote:
So why was this only on the remastered widescreen version and not the earlier versions?

After reading on snoops I find it amazing that it sounds like they would have used a theatrical print for the reissue, which is not usually
the case with remastered stuff especially Disney stuff.

It would have made more sense to have the nude in the earlier disc not later.

But now its one I must be on the hunt for :lol:

Obviously Disney used a different print/source for the previous release.

It's just an odd twist of fate that Disney picked out the print with the racy image for the '99 remaster.

As for why they used a print rather than a negative or interpositive? My only guess is that since they used the same transfer for the VHS release the same year (proven by the fact that the topless woman showed up in the VHS release as well and needed to be recalled too), no need to go through the process of using the negative to produce the best picture possible for the muddy VHS release.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 22:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

By the time this LD was released Disney was in the habit of making pristine new prints from the best possible sources and then scanning and correcting those. The topless lady was inserted at that time as part of that process. That seems to be what Snopes says anyway. It makes sense to me. Someone thought they’d make a post Roger Rabbit sort of joke. If Disney made this LD in December 1999 from an actual theatrical print I’d be surprised. It would prove they don’t like the movie very much. Those later Disney LDs are usually extremely good.

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 00:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
By the time this LD was released Disney was in the habit of making pristine new prints from the best possible sources and then scanning and correcting those. The topless lady was inserted at that time as part of that process. That seems to be what Snopes says anyway. It makes sense to me. Someone thought they’d make a post Roger Rabbit sort of joke. If Disney made this LD in December 1999 from an actual theatrical print I’d be surprised. It would prove they don’t like the movie very much. Those later Disney LDs are usually extremely good.

Well, snopes far from being infallible. From EOnline Jan, 1999:

The offending picture? A nude woman's torso, apparently inserted into the film soon after the cartoon was drawn, according to Associated Press.

In other words, the R-rated footage has been there ever since the Bob Newhart- and Eva Gabor-voiced film about a group of heroic mice trying to rescue a kidnapped girl was released in theaters in 1977, and rereleased in '83 and '89...

...As for who tampered with the film, the studio might have to come up with a retroactive pink slip. "This is something that was done more than 20 years ago," Disney spokewoman Claudia Peters says.

The recall--which only applies to video copies sent to stores this week, since previous copies released in 1992 originated from a different, uncorrupted print--is the first of its kind for Disney.

As for if Disney didn't like the movie much, I would say that's correct. Most of Disney's 70s animated films (Robin Hood, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Aristocats) weren't all that great and it shows. There's a reason why Don Bluth lead a bunch of animators to leave the studio near the end of the 70s since they weren't putting out quality like they used to.

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 01:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

How, exactly, with the way animation is made, does something exist in one print and not another?

The only explanation I can come up with for that would be if the prank was discovered so early on they could reshoot that scene and then they forgot about having done that. Otherwise it makes no sense.

Btw, I straight up love Robin Hood.

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 11:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
The only explanation I can come up with for that would be if the prank was discovered so early on they could reshoot that scene and then they forgot about having done that. Otherwise it makes no sense.

I think it's more likely they just edited it out then and made a false statement to cover their own necks. They did a similar recall for the Roger Rabbit shorts disc using some technical hiccup as an excuse.

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 17:00 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
How, exactly, with the way animation is made, does something exist in one print and not another?

Btw, I straight up love Robin Hood.

Can't say for sure how it exists on one but not the other, but it does. Proven by how the toplesss woman isn't on the previous release from the early 90s.

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 17:03 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

takeshi666 wrote:
I think it's more likely they just edited it out then and made a false statement to cover their own necks. They did a similar recall for the Roger Rabbit shorts disc using some technical hiccup as an excuse.

Yeah, the Roger Rabbit problem was total BS. They recalled it for "color issues" but never re-released it.

Well, they did "re-release" it. In Japan. And with the offending image blurred out.

But why be straightforward with why you're recalling The Rescuers (ie: openly admitting that the image is there) but talk BS about Roger Rabbit?

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 17:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

Yeah, the Roger Rabbit problem was total BS. They recalled it for "color issues" but never re-released it.

Well, they did "re-release" it. In Japan. And with the offending image blurred out.

But why be straightforward with why you're recalling The Rescuers (ie: openly admitting that the image is there) but talk BS about Roger Rabbit?

Well, The Rescuers was 20 years old when they finally got around to it, whereas the Roger Rabbit shorts were brand new? I'm guessing it'd been far more embarrassing with a fresh product than a catalog title.

Post subject: Re: LDs with Exclusive Deleted, Extended, & Alternate Footag
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2020, 19:41 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Loaded Weapon 1 (1993) [PCLV-10014]
This release is the TV version. While edited for content it contains 13 minutes of additional and extended scenes.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0107659/alternateversions

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2020, 03:44 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Year of the Gun (1991) [91456] LD has all the Italian language parts (a significant chunk of the film) subtitled in English. None of the DVD releases subtitle the Italian scenes, which makes the film almost unwatchable. On a side note, the LD is also OAR 1.85:1 and the DVD versions are 1.66:1

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2020, 03:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserdiscoking wrote:
Year of the Gun (1991) [91456] LD has all the Italian language parts (a significant chunk of the film) subtitled in English. None of the DVD releases subtitle the Italian scenes, which makes the film almost unwatchable. On a side note, the LD is also OAR 1.85:1 and the DVD versions are 1.66:1

If it's just a matter of scenes not being subtitled on the DVD then it really wouldn't count. Also differing aspect ratios also don't count.

The LD would have to contain a shot or scene that isn't shown on the DVD

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 23:06 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

The 1997 Special Editions [PILF-2860 and 4102985] of the Original Trilogy contain the 1997 Jabba, which was replaced with a newer CGI model in all DVD and later Special Editions. Jedi's Victory Celebration doesn't show the Jedi Temple on Coruscant in the 97SE, but the DVD and later do.

Post subject: This entire LD is exclusive!
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2020, 03:10 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I found an LD on ebay that is a belly dancing LD called "Belly Dancing: You can do it!" I dug for the DVD on ebay and nothing came up. I'm getting it as a gift for a friend that bellydances.

I guess it was far too much of a rare, unpopular and obscure title to have the company go through the trouble of putting it on DVD??

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2020, 06:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Things like that tend to be from companies that come and go faster than formats do. They may be from a very small production company that doesn’t exist anymore or maybe from a huge one like Pioneer. Pioneer published and produced a crapload of stuff including an entire anime production company just to bolster LD. They produced a ton of great titles that have never been on any other format because that era of Pioneer didn’t really survive much past the end of LD. The rights are probably scattered to the winds by now on these titles for the music rights alone in many cases.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2020, 23:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

WOW! Thanks, signofzeta!

I've heard of weird copyright stories like that! The movie "It's a Wonderful Life" was something like that, scattered and even maybe public domain when the rights "ran out" or something, but when it gained more popularity, some company claimed it as a derivative work, or something like that. I saw the story but forgot most of the details!

It's crazy to think of all of the treasures that exist ONLY on LD, and it is up to us scavengers to build the database of titles that are exclusive, ha ha!

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2020, 00:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

An OPA disc, check out the Optical Programming Associates discs on here.

Don't think many of them were issued after the initial LD release.

A bit below from a site that has not been updated for a while but interesting info.

OPA - Optical Programming Associates
Optical Programming Associates, a joint venture of Magnavox Consumer Electronics, MCA VIDEODISC, INC. and Pioneer Video, Inc. was formed with the sole purpose of producing and acquiring programming which would demonstrate the many features of the LaserVision system.

The participative discs offer advanced programming utilizing all of the features of the LaserVision system: self-pacing, two sound channels, freeze frame, forward and reverse motion, chapter stops, infinitely variable slow motion and specific frame access, providing a unique home video experience.

The response of consumers and critics alike to the first releases has been overwhelming, so the press release goes for OPA's launch.

Great promise turned into some rather bland and average to below attempts at showing the benefits and highlights of the LaserVision system.

Page 5 of 7 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next