It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:54

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: friends'/families' reactions to your laserdisc obsession
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 10:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

hippiedalek wrote:
I just get a lot of eye rolling.

That's what you get from them no matter what you'll do, they always find the reason :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 11:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hello and good morning from the UK

Tomrlee_m998, Flcl4evr, Yazorin, Romppainen, Hippiedalek.

Great to read your post's,
A few trusted friends and family have seen my collection and are WOWED!!!! by the format, and have said that once I have it all setup they would like to watch a movie, or have a movie night.

I may not correspond with a number of you guys, but enjoy reading your comments.

All the best

Hippiedalek..........Glad to read it's not a problem and that you and your girlfriend are well.

Sincere Regards

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 20:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

romppainen wrote:
hippiedalek wrote:
I just get a lot of eye rolling.

That's what you get from them no matter what you'll do, they always find the reason :lol:

I find that there's a couple of points where eyes tend to roll. 1st: when you tell them how much you've spent on a title or want to spend. 2nd: when you load the disc and it starts spinning and they're left wondering about where the low flying plane came from.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 22:02 
lol, my collecting began shortly after seeing James Rolfe's video on his laserdiscs as well. I had always liked them when i was a kid, because our elementary school had one. I remember thinking "this is brilliant, you mean you don't have to rewind it?" Ever since then, i had hated VHS, because of the rewinding. I was happy when DVD came out, and started a small collection in High School. i had completely forgotten about laserdiscs and my liking them until watching James Rolfe's video. Shortly after, i got on eBay, found a cheap single-side laserdisc player and started collecting and haven't looked back since lol. When i first started, my family was kinda amused mostly by it, my Mom and Dad had never heard of them, and i don't think my brother had either. my DVD collection by this point was already well over several hundred movies, so they were used to my collecting 'bug'. several of them are excellent conversation pieces with friends, and most of them are awesome to look at. My girlfriend doesn't mind, because she can usually find something to watch, be it on Laserdisc, DVD or Blu-Ray. I am starting to run out of room for my LDs though, so i have cut back on purchasing those quite a bit, but every now and then i'll find one of those gems i've been looking for forever on eBay and have to make another purchase and find a place for it later lol.

anyway, excellent topic man, thanks!

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 22:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Do laserdiscs spin counterclockwise in Australia :) Lol

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 23:32 
True fan
True fan

What I truly find funny is that only my family seems to really care. I brought my Laserdisc disc player into school last June for a showing on Independence Day in my AP World class, and all but a few who couldn't believe CLV could only hold an hour(thank god it wasn't CAV) thought it looked good and was a cool thing. Might get another shot at introducing a group of classmates to Laserdisc on friday, we'll see how they take to it!

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 00:28 
My friends/family and girl friend can't believe that in some cases I would rather spend 20-100 on a laserdisc when i could get the same movie on dvd or blu ray for 10-20 :crazy:

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 04:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

romppainen wrote:
My wife doesn't actually understand any of my hobbies but doesn't interfere with them either except some occasional nagging about money, our son is too young for this kind of stuff but I'll try my best to pass my interests to him when he gets older. My parents, well, they don't really care but as the first movie dad took mum to watch when they started dating was Clockwork Orange we share at least some interests and I have rather interesting movie-related discussions with him every now and then.

My kind of parents, lol.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 04:39 
Honest fan
Honest fan

mikeystoyz wrote:

That's such a simple joke, but it has amused me to no end. :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 05:44 
flcl4evr wrote:
What I truly find funny is that only my family seems to really care. I brought my Laserdisc disc player into school last June for a showing on Independence Day in my AP World class, and all but a few who couldn't believe CLV could only hold an hour(thank god it wasn't CAV) thought it looked good and was a cool thing. Might get another shot at introducing a group of classmates to Laserdisc on friday, we'll see how they take to it!

That sounds like an amazing history class. I'm doing a report on The Residents for a music class, maybe I can bring in Twenty Twisted Questions as an excuse to show off my huge shiny discs.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 05:47 
True fan
True fan

hellocdclub wrote:
flcl4evr wrote:

That sounds like an amazing history class. I'm doing a report on The Residents for a music class, maybe I can bring in Twenty Twisted Questions as an excuse to show off my huge shiny discs.

It was one of the proudest moments in my high school career. I plan on bugging my trigonometry teacher to let me bring in my player for another screening of a different movie. I would definitely ask your music teacher if you can bring in your LD player and show it off, I know I would!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 06:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

mlcsmith wrote:
mikeystoyz wrote:

That's such a simple joke, but it has amused me to no end. :lol:

I live to amuse ;) Glad it made ya smile!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 06:15 
flcl4evr wrote:
hellocdclub wrote:
flcl4evr wrote:

It was one of the proudest moments in my high school career. I plan on bugging my trigonometry teacher to let me bring in my player for another screening of a different movie. I would definitely ask your music teacher if you can bring in your LD player and show it off, I know I would!

She's like 22, I doubt she has any idea what a LaserDisc is, but I'll be sure to do that.
Well, anyway, to answer the question: I found a LaserDisc player at Goodwill for $7 2 months ago after trying to find one for 3 years and have been collecting discs ever since. I've been collecting vinyl for a good 4 years (400+ albums in my collection), so to my parents it isn't any different. They are just rather indifferent, although I have watched a couple of my dad's favorite movies on LD with him and he was surprised at how good they looked (same thing with his favorite albums on vinyl). I'm 15, so I don't know/talk to a lot of people who remember the format or even know what it is, so when I bring it up it always confounds them (especially when I get to the point when I tell them it's analog yet uses a laser). The two friends I have who already knew what LD is think it's really cool that I actually have a player and discs.
Still a lot of titles I would die to own, so maybe my modest 35 disc collection could get very out-of-hand very quickly, but we'll just wait and see. :D

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 08:45 
Honest fan
Honest fan

flcl4evr wrote:

I've mentioned it before on this forum somewhere, I am a high school English teacher and I bring in my 50th anniversary criterion copy of Citizen Kane for the class. It's a great transfer and the extra features are an excellent additional resource for their studies.

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2