It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:44

Page 5 of 5 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Is technically better vs. personal pref. hard to compreh
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012, 05:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Invigorating ! This thread struck a chord (or hit a nerve!) from my perspective.
The Forum can take us on strange rides...... Ie: dirt / cake....?
Gotta love it !
Remember kids : "Life is too important to be taken seriously"
Thank you once again remington.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 18:44 
I bought loads of Laserdiscs during the 1990s then during the first half of the previous decade those films were released on DVD which may or may not have been transferred from Laserdisc. However using Escape From L.A. for comparison i found the PAL DVD version to be virtually identical to the NTSC Laserdisc version but with the theatrical trailer & the usual 4% speed up because Hollywood couldn't be bothered to develop a 4% pulldown effect to transfer 24 frame film to 25 frame video even though there were complaints about actors talking fast & sounding like Mickey Mouse so due to the negligible differences I just stuck to the Laserdisc version instead since DVD is really a rip off format considering Blu-ray came along 10 years later & region coding is all about the various studios trying to maximise their profits.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 21:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

scorpio wrote:
I bought loads of Laserdiscs during the 1990s then during the first half of the previous decade those films were released on DVD which may or may not have been transferred from Laserdisc. However using Escape From L.A. for comparison i found the PAL DVD version to be virtually identical to the NTSC Laserdisc version but with the theatrical trailer & the usual 4% speed up because Hollywood couldn't be bothered to develop a 4% pulldown effect to transfer 24 frame film to 25 frame video even though there were complaints about actors talking fast & sounding like Mickey Mouse so due to the negligible differences I just stuck to the Laserdisc version instead since DVD is really a rip off format considering Blu-ray came along 10 years later & region coding is all about the various studios trying to maximise their profits.

The original DVDs of Clerks and Chasing Amy were from laserdisc source material. Kevin Smith even has an added intro where he makes fun of the audience for buying the same thing again (if they already had the LD).

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 22:56 
mlcsmith wrote:
scorpio wrote:

The original DVDs of Clerks and Chasing Amy were from laserdisc source material. Kevin Smith even has an added intro where he makes fun of the audience for buying the same thing again (if they already had the LD).

Love how at the beginning of the Chasing Amy commentary he says "F*** DVD!". Then they used that same commentary for the DVD later on.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 05:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

mlcsmith wrote:
scorpio wrote:

Lots of early DVD's used the same D2 digital NTSC master as the LaserDisc. The Criterion Collection was a terrible abuser of this, as was Fox and Paramount.

Page 5 of 5 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5