It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:51

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Did someone here snag the E.T. box set?
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 03:35 
I was watching an eBay auction for a couple of days. It was for a sealed E.T. box set with the 24k gold CD. It looked awesome and the price was right.....until near the auction end and I was in a bidding war with someone else. I wasn't ready to spend $50 on ET. I would have opened it to watch it too. ;)
Just wondering if someone here got it.

Post subject: Re: Did someone here snag the E.T. box set?
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 03:55 
True fan
True fan

I read an earlier post about a guy who engaged in a bidding war over the E.T. boxset. Chances are he's your man, and he'll pop up sooner or later on this post

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 04:46 
haha yeah that was me. figured it was someone on here since we're the only losers who collect them.

I wish i could get a second copy if this, because I feel bad opening a brand new copy, but it's such an awesome movie that I'll probably have to

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 15:31 
Can you send me a link to the one you got? I probably have an open copy of the same one which I could sell for a fair price.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 15:42 
loterbol wrote:
Can you send me a link to the one you got? I probably have an open copy of the same one which I could sell for a fair price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170777487919?ss ... 500wt_1156

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 15:48 
Im probably just going to keep it and open it honestly, since leaving it unopened makes it useless and is just for bragging rights that no one but myself and 49 other people on Earth care about lol

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 22:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

think the price looked pretty good. I would open it too. sealed stuff are for geeks =)

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 00:08 
johan184 wrote:
think the price looked pretty good. I would open it too. sealed stuff are for geeks =)

well, geek is definately subjective as a lot of people who would say people post on a laserdisc forum and talk about their extensive collection are geeks :P

but yeah, I never buy stuff just to look at it. I bought a new NES system a couple years ago and played it a few times, trying to keep it in as good of condition as possible.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 06:53 
HAHA congrats bro. glad a fellow dork got it! :geek:
I have bought a few too many laserdiscs by mail lately, and I was just feeling ill about the price.
Hope it's awesome. Let us know when you get it.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 16:42 
live2win wrote:
I have bought a few too many laserdiscs by mail lately, and I was just feeling ill about the price.

no prob.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 00:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have two copies of this title. #0089 and #0344, the latter is still sealed. Anyone have a lower number than 89?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 00:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

blam1 wrote:
I have two copies of this title. #0089 and #0344, the latter is still sealed. Anyone have a lower number than 89?

Blaine, did you also buy yours when Pioneer blew them out for $19.99?

Our Dee Wallace signed copy is #2949 and our sealed copy is #2950, so we got a consecutive run.

A press run of 8000 discs was hardly a limited edition considering the vast majority of LaserDisc's sold fewer than 3000 copies. No wonder Pioneer sold them so cheaply at the end.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 03:18 
mine's a higher one. #5656. practically stole mine. got it for $6.51 a little over a year ago.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 08:29 
funny how theyre now going for about twice of what you guys paid

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 18:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

disclord wrote:
blam1 wrote:

Our Dee Wallace signed copy is #2949 and our sealed copy is #2950, so we got a consecutive run.

A press run of 8000 discs was hardly a limited edition considering the vast majority of LaserDisc's sold fewer than 3000 copies. No wonder Pioneer sold them so cheaply at the end.

My first copy was obtained on release day. The second was purchased on eBay several years ago.

In 1996 when this title was released, LaserDisc was the only game in town. 8000 was considered a limited run and I disagree with your statement that over the 20 year history of LaserDisc that titles sold less than 3000 copies over their life. I mean how many times were the "Star Wars" titles repressed? The first Widescreen transfers of all three "Star Wars" films were pressed in three different facilities over 10 years - that alone would indicate well over 3000 units. Much later - after DVD was well established - you are right.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 19:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

blam1 wrote:
disclord wrote:
blam1 wrote:

My first copy was obtained on release day. The second was purchased on eBay several years ago.

In 1996 when this title was released, LaserDisc was the only game in town. 8000 was considered a limited run and I disagree with your statement that over the 20 year history of LaserDisc that titles sold less than 3000 copies over their life. I mean how many times were the "Star Wars" titles repressed? The first Widescreen transfers of all three "Star Wars" films were pressed in three different facilities over 10 years - that alone would indicate well over 3000 units. Much later - after DVD was well established - you are right.

I wasn't speaking in terms of re-issues, etc, but of single releases. Even at the height of LaserDisc most titles sold fewer than 3000 copies. 8000 copies was a large run. Laserdisc had a major problem all it's life with "walking dead" titles that were listed in catalogs but pressed in such low numbers due to low sales, that if you didn't obtain them on release day, you couldn't get it later unless enough orders slowly came in to warrant a repressing or the studio decided enough people would double dip and buy a new remastered version of a title they already owned.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 21:22 
live2win wrote:

I got it. Pretty epic. The sound doesnt work right like most of my discs (because theres something wrong with my V2200 player) but other than that, it's awesome

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 23:33 
Nice!
I love buying sealed 80's stuff.
I just got a box of Garbage Pail Kids Cards too....Pretty much takes me back to being a kid again. ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]