It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:38

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: In Store promo content from "Brand Central" (Sears)
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 04:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hi, brand new to the forum. I was looking for a "corporate LD" section or something similar here, but couldn't find anything similar (except for the '81 Sears Catalog thread). I recently visited a record & movie store & was amazed to see how much vinyl has come back... rows and rows of new & used records reminded me of what record stores looked like circa 1975... anyway, since they had that retro rebirth I asked and "yes!" they had a bin for laserdiscs & even a box coming in that had not yet been put out. So I grabbed 3 or 4 from the bin ($1.99 ea) & decided to come back when the box had been put out. Next day I returned & the box still hadn't been put out, so I asked if I could go through it. There were 3 LD sleeves that looked kind of interesting. Marked:
AVM-TV "The in-store network." Printed label attached to them read similar to:

BRAND CENTRAL - CYCLE 11, 1991
ONLY USE THIS LASER DISC
NOV 3 TO NOV 30, 1991

1 Sleeve was empty, 1 Sleeve had a disc in great shape, and 1 sleeve had a disc, but was mysteriously glued to a 12" plastic label whose apparent function was to purposely ruin any chance of use. Playing the good disk I was greated to Hank Williams Jr performing a full or perhaps even extended version of the opening to Monday Night Football. Very Cool indeed. the rest was Sears commercials & specials for the month along with some music videos & so far I haven't written a list of exactly what was there, but anyone visiting a sears store in the early 90's might remember what they had playing on all the TV's in the electronics section or hanging around the store.
I'm wondering how rare these are as the evidence points to intentionally ruining them when their run dates were over. How might I enter these into the database? What is known about "AdVenture Media, Inc?" back of the sleeve shows it to be a "3M Optical Recording" out of Chicago. (300 West Washington * Suite 1110

Oh yea... and does anybody want to venture a guess as to how to go about loosening what appears to be rubber cement spray glue holding the plastic together on the ruined disc?
-remav

Last edited by remav on 01 Sep 2018, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: In Store promo content from "Brand Central" (Sears)
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 15:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You are best off showing a picture of the disc that may be glued.
Its really hard to imagine what you are talking about without a picture.

It could be many things and I for one don't want to say how to do something without a picture.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 16:07 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
You are best off showing a picture of the disc that may be glued.
Its really hard to imagine what you are talking about without a picture.

It could be many things and I for one don't want to say how to do something without a picture.

Thanks, I wanted to be sure the general section would be the best place for this thread. I'll go ahead & post a picture soon, but just to give a better description, the offending "overlay" that is glued onto the disc is a perfectly LD sized white plastic 12" disc complete with hole & label. This one is glued slightly off-center so I'm pretty sure it was done by hand. Trying to bend the tiny lip created by the offset to peel it off has proven futile.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 16:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

White dead side, search it up.
Keep it on don't destroy the disc removing it.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 18:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:

Ah, I see. Thanks. 1st time I've seen that.
example: https://tinyurl.com/ybv8uq8p (makes sense for music albums I guess.)

OK, so mine is glued improperly & is off center by perhaps a little more than 1/8".
Enough that I'd be scared it's off balanced at 1800 rpm enough to damage the player if not even be unable to mount. :cry:
I might think about digging out an old player to test on & see if it will hold together long enough to make a copy.

Should I try to add these to the db, or it this type of internal corporate stuff outside the intent? (thanks again)

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 18:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Could play fine in an industrial player?? But I don't have one.

There are metal dead sides and you can't play those in any other player than the industrial player.

As long as the off center isn't too off it may be OK? how in the center hole, is that off center???

Very interested to see a picture now.
Also there are some dead sides that have a clear paint type substance, I believe its shellac of some kind as you can clean it off with denatured alcohol but then
you have to be careful of the label and the glue that holds the two half's together.

But when in doubt post pictures so others can help guide you rather than damage a disc.

When uploading it, it would be a demo disc or there may be another selection?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 21:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan

remav wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Ah, I see. Thanks. 1st time I've seen that.
example: https://tinyurl.com/ybv8uq8p (makes sense for music albums I guess.)

OK, so mine is glued improperly & is off center by perhaps a little more than 1/8".
Enough that I'd be scared it's off balanced at 1800 rpm enough to damage the player if not even be unable to mount. :cry:
I might think about digging out an old player to test on & see if it will hold together long enough to make a copy.

Should I try to add these to the db, or it this type of internal corporate stuff outside the intent? (thanks again)

Hi remav,

Yes! Please do submit this title for addition to the database! There are actually over 300 of these titles already included here. I just looked at them a moment ago. Just use the "advanced search" function at the top of the homepage, and select "demo disc" under "category" to find a complete list of these. There are also some similar titles under the "industrial" category which you might find of interest. By looking at these, you will get a better idea of how to go about adding such a title to the database. Just do the best you can, adding as much information as you can about the disc you have. Anything you are unsure about, just leave it blank. When you're done, click "submit", and it will go into the "pending" section to await Julien's validation, after which it will become part of the permanent database. You can always go back later and fill in something you missed or couldn't figure out the first time, once it has been validated and is actually part of the site. As I said, just do your best. After you have done it a few times, it becomes really easy, and you'll get much better at it. Julien is very forgiving of "rookie" mistakes, and he checks everything over before he validates it, to keep the information in the database as accurate as possible.

I can totally relate to the disc you have. Although I don't own one like it, I worked for Sears as my previous job, over 20 years ago. I absolutely remember "Brand Central". In fact, I bought one of my laserdisc players there, shortly before I left for my present job. Also, I should mention that it was in "Brand Central" where some of my co-workers and I once viewed my copy of "The Wizard of Oz" on a big-screen TV set. This was an investigation we did to check out a claim by one of them that he could prove the authenticity of the so-called "Munchkin suicide" which had long been reported to have been accidentally filmed during the making of the movie. Needless to say, we were able to debunk the story as merely an "urban legend"! :lol: I'll be looking forward to seeing your submission of this disc added to the database soon, and to conversing with you again in the future.

Best Regards,
David :wave:

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 22:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Not sure where to host pictures anymore. I have a snapfish accnt & think this will allow unrestricted access, right? (let me know how I can do better)

https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/share?via=link&token=UVpD1Aqgtr1UentxkdHZOw/AUS/27948052419070/SNAPFISH

It really does look like parts of 2 disks stuck together. I think if I peeled the white part off, I would see the true label from the disk below.
What do you think?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 23:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yikes, if that center hole is off I doubt you can even play it??

I don't believe it will even clamp since its off.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 00:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Exactly. That's why I said it looks as if it were intentionally ruined. I know they put the white over the blank side and how many Sears employees would know that the A&B sides were reversed? I think I'm back to figuring out how to loosen that glue and if I'm ever going to get this thing to play right?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 01:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m on an iPhone and your image hosting service worked hard to ruin that experience. I can’t zoom or save the pics or anything. So I can’t really see much. Is the outer edge just as off?

If it’s a dead side (nearly half the thickness of the disc) there is no removing it. It would involve literally splitting the disc in two and obliterating it with ZERO CHANCE of reading the data. Sears employees do not make LDs so they didn’t put a dead side on an LD. If that’s a real dead side then this is a totally useless LD that has never been played.

If it isnt a dead side and is instead a giant sticker then I guess you can try to peal it off with whatever kills rubber cement. I don’t know why they would do that to just one side instead of just trashing the entire disc. I also don’t know why there would be a hole in it at all of the goal was to render it unplayable.

Last edited by signofzeta on 01 Sep 2018, 01:54, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 01:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
I’m on an iPhone and your image hosting service worked hard to ruin that experience. I can’t zoom or save the pics or anything. So I can’t really see much. Is the outer edge just as off?

The center hole is just as off as the outer edge.

I would say to do some drastic stuff but then again if he's not experienced with what I would say I would rather he didn't destroy the disc.

I don't think the outer edge will make it off balance that much IF the center were correct.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 02:02 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Looks like Snapfish has the same effect on Android, so equal opportunity spoiler. Sorry.
What is a good site for hosting?

After looking edgewise more carefully I believe you are right. This appears to be just a single disc with a manufacturing error. The other disk which is from 2 years later does not have a white dead side. I added a couple more pictures under magnification, but it doesn't make much sense to go to the effort of ruining it. I guess I'll dig out an old player & just see what happens. Will let you know. Thanks & any tips on a better hosting option appreciated.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 15:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If the only issue is the misalignment then you could pretty easily machine out the rest of the hole somehow. It’s still going to vibrate probably but it may play. I wouldn’t try it in any player you care about but I would probably try it. :) Its probably going to be hard for most/any players to mount it as is though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 16:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you were to try your hand at it I would use sand paper on a wooden dowel OR a dremel with a sanding bit.

Only issue with the dremel is that it may go too fast and if you aren't used to it you may take too much off and lose the round.
If you had a foredom type then you would have more speed control.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 17:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well, some hope. I grabbed a "spare" (CLD-501 that has issues opening. took the lid off & with a little jiggle it's temporarily working again. lube issue?) anyway, the disc appears to align correctly to the lower hole when clamping. However, the offset is just a little too much & the white blank rubs, so fails to play. I do have a Dremel with a speed control, so I'm going to try slowly working back the furthest point of offset. It's close to working as with a few attempts it came mostly up to speed. Balance issues may force me to go beyond simply getting it to spin. If that happens I think I'll try adding epoxy to the light side until it smooths out. Will cross that bridge when I come to it, but if anyone has a better idea I'm all ears. I figure at least with epoxy I'll be able to add/grind off as needed but it'll slow me down with drying time.

Thanks & Wish me luck! :wave:

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 18:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Dremel worked good. Easy enough that I went ahead & took all of the excess off, so at least I'm working with a 12" disc again.
New problem...
The reason it appeared to be clamping centered before is because the offset was taking up any extra space & slightly wedging the disc into the tray. The clamp had no play. Now there is space all around & allows the offset hole to move the disc away from center. The only thing I can see to do is to dremel the top hole. ...a much more delicate operation. :problem:
In I go.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 18:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Drum roll...... IT PLAYS!

No display hooked up. Just grabbed 6 sec. of frames counting & stopped it, so this video is not too exciting... BUT I'M EXCITED!!! :thumbup:

http://youtu.be/09VHPhPZWRU

Now I need to figure out what I have left around here that will capture the output best. I think I only want to play this once as you can hear it isn't very smooth.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 23:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

:clap: Good job.
I was worried that you may take too much off, didn't even think of the outer edge being too large for the tray.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 00:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

A bit of refinement was required. was so off balance that although it would track frames, no audio & very fuzzy.
I was about to pull out the epoxy when I remembered... you can fix anything with duct tape!
So I peeled off an amount I figured was roughly equal in weight to the missing white blank & Voila!
Plays smooth.

Contents:

Trailer - Single White Female
Commercial - Brand Central, (Sears was America's largest Credit Lender)
Featurette - IMSA, (International Motor Sports Association)
Commercial - Brand Central, "Duuuuude, Righteous System!" Stereo plug
Music Video - T42 "Desire" (Anybody ever heard of them? Very 80's for a 1991 audience)
Commercial - Brand Central "Weird Ralph's"
Featurette (extended commercial?) - Thrill of Victory/Agony of defeat (Fox Video Sports on 2 VHS Tapes ...yea, opens with the famous ski jumper crash.)
Commercial - Kenmore "In 1 out of 2 homes in America"
Trailer - Cool World
Music Video - Celine Dion "If You Asked Me Too"
Featurette - "NBA Dream Team" (Obviously about the Olympic team... but never mentioned that word... interesting.)

Thanks Everyone for helping me get back on the right track... was about ready to ruin this one!

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next