It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:25

Page 5 of 5 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Who is still spinning LDs on a regular basis
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2018, 23:29 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I usually watch one disc every weekend. It's like an event, like going to a movie, and I invite friends to watch with me.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2018, 14:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Watching Eli Roth's History of Horror on AMC and it's featuring movies I haven't seen yet like Wes Craven's Scream.

Luckily i have that on LD, so I watched that before I watched the episode on "Slashers"

Also, since it's Halloween, I watched It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and Disney's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow on LD.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2018, 02:51 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Just watched "Lion King" and "Little Mermaid". Granddaughter found the Disney collectection within the collection....She's intently watches the loading and unloading tray. :clap:

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2018, 06:52 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Just finished up the Back to the Future trilogy. Took me a bit to get to the third one, watched the first two a couple weeks ago. It was nice they put the final train scene on its own CAV disc, according to the sleeve the movie is under 2 hours.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 18:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

speedyink wrote:
Just finished up the Back to the Future trilogy. Took me a bit to get to the third one, watched the first two a couple weeks ago. It was nice they put the final train scene on its own CAV disc, according to the sleeve the movie is under 2 hours.

That is a great trilogy. I think I like the last movie best of all.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 00:08 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

tombstone13 wrote:
That is a great trilogy. I think I like the last movie best of all.

Always been a favorite of mine. It's been forever since I saw the third one, I always remember not liking it very much after I originally watched it. This time around I enjoyed it wondering why I ever thought that, and then the end of the movie came up. When the car got smashed it brought up this weird emotion from when I saw it all those years ago as a kid. I all of a sudden remembered I was originally crushed watching the car get destroyed. Kind of funny actually, all those years thinking it was just a bad movie but it was really my child mind not coming to terms with the demise of that car I got attached to.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 00:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I just disliked it because after all the cool stuff from the first two movies we went to a boring as can be desert with conspicuous ZZ Top placement. The car went from time traveling in Pt:1 to flying and time traveling in Pt:2 to sitting in barn and wearing goofy balloon tires. That’s not exactly a great arc. I like Pt:2 the best but then I don’t really like cowboys very much. Not as much as hover boards.

That being said, as a series its great and very much the kind of thing we need today. All ages movies that don’t insult their audience or cater to ultra specific groups or overly licensed prior works.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 18:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've been building a "Dragon's Lair" and a "Space Ace" arcade game, so I've been spinning those discs very frequently over the past couple of months.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 19:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

blam1 wrote:
I've been building a "Dragon's Lair" and a "Space Ace" arcade game, so I've been spinning those discs very frequently over the past couple of months.

WOW that sounds amazing!

How are you going about it? Using a real (industrial?) LD player with modernised computer controls, or more emulation than that?? Are you literally building a whole replica arcade console?

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2018, 14:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I am watching 2 movies in LD by week in average. Sometimes more.
I'm watching 1 DVD or BD every 3 month...
I'm going to theater twice a year.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 20:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Nothing to see here. Keep moving

Last edited by blam1 on 02 Apr 2019, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 23:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

blam1 wrote:
audioboyz1973 wrote:
blam1 wrote:

WOW that sounds amazing!

How are you going about it? Using a real (industrial?) LD player with modernised computer controls, or more emulation than that?? Are you literally building a whole replica arcade console?

These are original electronics. The LaserDisc player in "Dragon's Lair" has been upgraded to a Pioneer LD-V8000 using a LaserCon Merlin-8000. The "Space Ace" game has the original electronics plus a Merlin DX and the LaserDisc replacement player "Dexter". With Dexter and the Merlin DX, I can switch from DL to DL2 and SA simply by using a joystick action during the attract sequence.

The cabinets here are NOT the original cabinets. I've re-purposed an old "I'Robot" and "Firefox" cabinet

Hi blam1,

Wow, those are truly incredible looking! :thumbup: It appears that you are a really handy guy with that sort of stuff! I have both Dragon's Lair and Space Ace games in my home arcade, as well as the long-lost sequel Thayer's Quest. However, all three of mine are in factory original black "monolith" Dragon's Lair cabinets, and all have the factory original Pioneer LD-V1000 gray players in them. No brown PR-7820 players for me, thank you! I think that's the correct model number for them. I've never heard anything good about those brown players, but the gray ones have served me very well over the years. Someone once tried to sell me one of the brown players years ago, but it didn't appear to be fully functional, so I passed on it, and have never regretted doing so. I'm glad to see that there is someone else out there who still loves those great old arcade laser-based games, as I do. Looks like yours are truly one-of-a-kind custom specimens! Well done, my friend! :thumbup:

Best Regards,
David :wave:

Page 5 of 5 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5