It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:14

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Keeping the peace...
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 06:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

In order to end the flaming between myself and remington I will no longer be arguing technical issues with him. It has spread over several threads now and it is getting pointless like religion or politics. I would much rather talk about something like what new discs we just got, cool covers or something like that.

The format hate between forum members needs to stop also. If a Laserdisc has more/better supplemental material than a DVD then say so; on the other side of the coin if a DVD or BD has better supplement then one should not be afraid to let others know for fear of being called 'disloyal' to Laserdisc.

Also on this forum I have noticed that there are people with really good theatre rigs and others with junky old s**t that does not decode modern sound codecs or have HDMI. Would the folks with the experience and the good kit please help out the new guys with useful advice and suggestions on how best to spend their money on equipment, proper calibration etc...

If we all work together we will be able to really enjoy the films we love. I am typing this in the hope of mending some fences between many members on this new and great forum. Please help me out...
Best wishes.

Post subject: Re: Keeping the peace...
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 06:39 
True fan
True fan

I never noticed, to be honest. :? :shock: :lol:

TLK :cool:

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 07:05 
well the whole "x is much better than y" debate is prevelent no matter what forum you go on. on a gamespot forum, it's going to be "this is why xbox 360 kicks ps3's a**". if you go to a Camaro forum it's gonna be "Chevy makes Fords look like s**t".

the thing about cherishing something is that you can't just love one format and like a different one. most people feel that if they love something and can't afford to invest in both things, they have to despise the other format/game/car in order to justify them spending all their money, time, and ranting on their movie collection/Xbox 360/car/whatever

that's just my two cents

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 07:09 
I love all formats and I have the money to spend on all of them. if I have the choice between watching a LD and a BD, Ill choose the LD because I'm obsessed with the 80's, and because I like the fact that Im watching a format most Americans aren't even familiar with. I'll stand by earlier statement and say that BD will look better than LD 99% of the time, but I have enough room in this house for two formats. it's like if you have two sons, one is fat but hilarious, and the other is good looking but boring, you don't kick one out of the house just because he's fat. Both of them have their pro's and con's. That's how I think about the format war.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 07:55 
Serious fan
Serious fan

ohreally wrote:
In order to end the flaming between myself and remington I will no longer be arguing technical issues with him. It has spread over several threads now and it is getting pointless like religion or politics. I would much rather talk about something like what new discs we just got, cool covers or something like that.

The format hate between forum members needs to stop also. If a Laserdisc has more/better supplemental material than a DVD then say so; on the other side of the coin if a DVD or BD has better supplement then one should not be afraid to let others know for fear of being called 'disloyal' to Laserdisc.

Also on this forum I have noticed that there are people with really good theatre rigs and others with junky old s**t that does not decode modern sound codecs or have HDMI. Would the folks with the experience and the good kit please help out the new guys with useful advice and suggestions on how best to spend their money on equipment, proper calibration etc...

If we all work together we will be able to really enjoy the films we love. I am typing this in the hope of mending some fences between many members on this new and great forum. Please help me out...
Best wishes.

gbpxl thanks for your posts and I see where you are coming from. There is room for more than one format but I had not hoped for a 'format war'. I wish for a bunch of folks who love movies and help each other out finding the best representation and supplemental material while preserving the Laserdisc format as it is really what started home theatre in the first place. Hopefully in the future on this forum everything does not have to turn into a debate like the other forums you mention.
There really is no reason everyone can't have a Blu-ray player sitting on top of of a big old Laserdisc player both hooked up to a kick-ass home theatre system right?
Thanks.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 09:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good Day ohreally,

Your Quote;
it is getting pointless like religion or politics.

My reply;
Nothing wrong in the aquiring of Bible truths and prophesies that are happening in these priviledged times.

Politics I totally agree with you on this one, as a number of politicians have no, or little idea or understanding of what a number of people go through on a daily basis, weather self induced problems or those beyond each persons control.
The good politicians that there are, find it so hard to do good things mostly because of all the unnessesary politics, red tape & beaurocracy that they have to put up with.

Your quote;

My reply;
I totally agree with you on this point and write this with full understanding. . . .Trust me on this il'e explain to reassure you on this.

There are members here that have worked hard all of their lives, and have a good size of available income / funds to spend on their AV Pastime of which brings them great pleasure.
There are others who have the same but do not have the time to correspond, or just may not want to share with others due to a number of unforeseen factors, of which I have no right to write or even comment about here.

Then there are a number of others with various budgets, circumstances, health or money worries and restrictions, of which possibly prevents them from achieving their AV goals.

Some members find contentment. . . . .Of which is rare but, none the less they are happy with what they have or, they do not mind waiting for things, even going so far as waiting years for equipment they thought like others is beyond their reach but, they have a realistic confidence that they will get there in the end.

I have personally waited around fourteen years to achieve, not just my AV goals, but also having my first home and furnishing from scratch.
None of this comes easy, as a number of yourselves can no doubt relate to this story.

I have a lot of good quality equipment that unfortunately I havn't been able to enjoy, because I have needed everything else to be in place before that can ever happen.

Once I have my equipment setup then I would like to think, that I could share / possibly help others with information on how to get the best out of their equipment.

I would also hope that others could help myself with getting the best out of my system, of which I would be truly grateful.

Most of what I know is a mixture of what I have been given by the generocity of others, completed by myself from the gathering of information from this and others sites.

A good deal of common sense is a must have along the way....

ohreally' I must admit ''and from first impressions as it were'' from what I have read from you, that you are a person who wants balance and fairness without pointing fingers at anyone.

It's good to read this and shows that you are mature.

Thank you for sharing your thought's

Many Thanks & sincere Regards

:thumbup: :)

Last edited by benmbe on 21 Feb 2012, 14:10, edited 3 times in total. _________________
Το ταξίδι για την αλήθεια κάθε σκάφος δεμένα, κατόπιν δεν είναι να ληφθούν, ή μάλλον βάδισαν

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 10:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This...

Attachments:
marsattacks.png
marsattacks.png [ 173.67 KiB | Viewed 2868 times ]

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 11:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I disagree! .... =)

I dont think there will be any problem as long as everybody respecting each and one of our opinions...

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 11:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

benmbe wrote:
Good Day ohreally,

Your Quote;
it is getting pointless like religion or politics.

My reply;
Nothing wrong in the aquiring of Bible truths and prophesies that are happening in these priviledged times.

Politics I totally agree with you on this one, as a number of politicians have no, or little idea or understanding of what a number of people go through on a daily basis, weather self induced problems or those beyond each persons control.
The good politicians that there are, find it so hard to do good things mostly because of all the unnessesary politics, red tape & beaurocracy that they have to put up with.

Your quote;

My reply;
I totally agree with you on this point and write this with full understanding. . . .Trust me on this il'e explain to reassure you on this.

There are members here that have worked hard all of their lives, and have a good size of available income / funds to spend on their AV Pastime of which brings them great pleasure.
There are others who have the same but do not have the time to correspond, or just may not want to share with others due to a number of unforsene factors, of which I have no right to write about here.

Then there are a number of others with various budgets, circumstances, health or money worries and restrictions, of which possibly prevents them from acheiving their AV goals.

Some members find contentment. . . . .Of which is rare but, none the less they are happy with what they have or, they do not mind waiting for things, even going so far as waiting years for equipment they thought like others is beyond their reach but, they have a realistic confidence that they will get there in the end.

I have personally waited around fourteen years to achieve, not just my AV goals, but also having my first home and furnishing from scratch.
None of this comes easy, as a number of yourselves can no doubt relate to this story.

I have a lot of good quality equipment that unfortunately I havn't been able to enjoy, because I have needed everything else to be in place before that can ever happen.

Once I have my equipment setup then I would like to think, that I could share / possibly help others with information on how to get the best out of their equipment.

I would also hope that others could help myself with getting the best out of my system, of which I would be truly grateful.

Most of what I know is a mixture of what I have been given by the generocity of others, completed by myself from the gathering of information from this and others sites,

ohreally' I must admit ''and from first impressions as it were'' from what I have read from you, that you are a person who wants balance and fairness without pointing fingers at anyone.

It's good to read this and shows that you are mature.

Thank you for sharing your thought's

Many Thanks & sincere Regards

:thumbup: :)

benmbe, many thanks for your post; it is the first post that has not ignored or bashed me...

I came from a poor family that raised itself to middle-class through hard work.

I purchased my first LD player at age 15 or 16 from funds made from cutting other peoples grass and working a chain saw cutting timber. It was a display model which I was happy to take the disc out and flip it manually!

Over the years I have been through many financial ups and downs and right now I am on the DOWN side. Fortunately a friend of mine gave me an older Pioneer Elite DVD combo player so I can again listen to my SACDs. Our motto here is 'pay it forward'...

I need new speakers but the cash is short...

I used to install home theatres for a living but that is pretty much gone now due to the economic downturn.

Anyway thanks for the post as you have restored my faith that people actually listen to one another.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 16:02 
This:

gbpxl wrote:
I love all formats and I have the money to spend on all of them. if I have the choice between watching a LD and a BD, Ill choose the LD because I'm obsessed with the 80's, and because I like the fact that Im watching a format most Americans aren't even familiar with. I'll stand by earlier statement and say that BD will look better than LD 99% of the time, but I have enough room in this house for two formats. it's like if you have two sons, one is fat but hilarious, and the other is good looking but boring, you don't kick one out of the house just because he's fat. Both of them have their pro's and con's. That's how I think about the format war.

is a hilarious (and very accurate) way of looking at the LD/BD 'debate'. never thought of it that way. thanks gbpxl, that made me laugh

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 00:04 
True fan
True fan

Sometimes war causes "peace to break out." It's too bad we need the war first. This is not new to history, unfortunately. Pasions run high for this incredible format and redundancy eats up a lot of space on threads (as I can recently attest to). Peace out! :)

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 00:22 
OP what are you talking about? I've been missing these threads. It seems to me this forum is filled with great people and the forum is the total opposite of something like GameSpot. More like Racketboy is for Retro Games

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 21:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Great Thread.....Amen Brothers.....

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 22:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You know, the LD format sucks, 8mm is where it is at! Or silver nitrate filmstock!! Darn it, bring that back! :) If we cant keep the peace we can at least burn down the building!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 23:36 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

mikeystoyz wrote:
You know, the LD format sucks, 8mm is where it is at! Or silver nitrate filmstock!! Darn it, bring that back! :) If we cant keep the peace we can at least burn down the building!

I'm still trying to bring back Phonovision and track down a used 2" Quadruplex VTR.

They just don't make them like they used to!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 23:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

There's a lovely RCA quad on eBay right now. Somebody's restoration project, with all the manuals, accessories, & so forth — even a spare head assembly, which doesn't come cheap. And it's one of the 'portable' models, so it's both smaller and lighter than a Volkwagen.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012, 06:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Silver Nitrate bonfire ..... NICE
I will bring the marshmellows !!!
Maybe Kodak can bring back slides as an alternative entertainment format for old schoolers and nubes alike....
Just may be a market niche there. LoL !
Just never know :lolno:

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2012, 20:10 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

publius wrote:
There's a lovely RCA quad on eBay right now. Somebody's restoration project, with all the manuals, accessories, & so forth — even a spare head assembly, which doesn't come cheap. And it's one of the 'portable' models, so it's both smaller and lighter than a Volkwagen.

Well, hell, what I am waiting for?!?!? I need a new heavier/overpriced coffee table that can play and record on tape!

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]