It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:42

Page 2 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: $ugu$ prices what is the deal?
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2019, 02:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It would be interesting to compare the facist copyright warning from state to state. Ours basically threaten you with imprisonment and fines. It’s a great way to start a Disney movie for my three year old. He needs to learn about prison right now, right? Also, legal disclaimers for comentary even when there isn’t one sometimes. For a while in the 90s they would have more creative advertising but they mainly stick to the legal stuff now. “FBI” and all that.

And yeah, I really hate DVD specifically because of this. Resolution isn’t everything.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2019, 12:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Australian market DVDs have this ridiculous thank you thing on the front of all DVDs. "Thank you for paying for this, you just saved the industry" or some s**t. So damn annoying.

I think I've seen that, on a few Universal titles.

I'll take it over the "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR" one any day.

Speaking of which...

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2019, 20:13 
True fan
True fan

Maybe thats why LaserDisc died, it was pirated too often...;-) Thinking again about high prices for a "dead" medium, I recently paid around 35 US4 for FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN. It was one of the last two remaining titles of the Elite Collection i was missing. I shelled out (...well) more money than usually, since there are less and less titles available in really want (the ones I still want are completely out of my price range , see $ugu$). And I think not only twice about spending money for a movie I have never seen (it´s just about the complete collection here) but 5 times...So, with age comes a little bit of reason ;-)

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2019, 21:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I hate to say this but I've been getting DVDs rather than LDs, and there are a few in my wishlist under 20 bucks.
So I guess I'm part of the why not just buy it already topic that I was ranting about :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2019, 23:23 
True fan
True fan

exinferis wrote:
About his user name, I guess it´s not UGU, as someone wrote here, but SUGUS, which is a swiss sweet, just with the $ instead of the S...

Thanks, I learned something !
I'm from Switzerland and I didn't made the connection, I misread his username for years.
And I've met him IRL for a few deals in the past... shame on me :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 03:49 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I dunno about DVD's... I have a stack of them, but I just can't stand watching them anymore. With Laserdisc, you put it in, and hit Play. With DVD, you put it in, hit Play, see a stupid warning, and you instinctively try to skip it, but all you get is this stupid little logo. Then it forces you to watch like 2 or 3 more warnings/random messages. Then come the trailers, god forbid you want to just watch the movie you put in! Finally after that, you get a hint of the movie. Oh, but wait, it's not the real movie, it's some dumb cheesy intro animation for the menu because Ooooh, it's the magic of DVD! Finally, there's a damn option to play the movie, and it slaps you one last time with a little outro animation. At least with VHS you could fast forward through the crap.
Any downgrade in picture quality from DVD doesn't bother me, since my Laserdisc is hooked up to a CRT TV, and when you sit back the proper distance it looks just fine.

That was a bit more of a rant then I meant to write..

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 05:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Agree but sadly I'm getting tired of paying for very common titles, shipping is going up and films are not rare in anyway.

I've pretty much picked up all the rare stuff I want, right now its just filler of stuff that I kind of want to watch that isn't on DVD or Bluray as of yet.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 22:29 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

True.. shipping does kill it mostly. Oh well, I'm not going for a massive collection, I just want to rewatch my favorites from the past.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 22:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Criterion is one company that cuts the b******t. I love that about them in addition to the general quality of the releases. It feels great to be able to put in a movie and just start watching it immediately. I would pay more for comparable releases from other companies.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 01:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

gypsy wrote:
Criterion is one company that cuts the b******t. I love that about them in addition to the general quality of the releases. It feels great to be able to put in a movie and just start watching it immediately. I would pay more for comparable releases from other companies.

So far every single 4k uhd disc I watched started immediately. I have about 200 uhd discs. They simply don’t have the room on the disc to put any extras. Even the menus are super basic. It really feels like watching laserdisc except flipping discs.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 03:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I get the impression some of you are focusing too much on the negative. Most discs I watch usually have only a company ident and the copyright warning, and quite often you can skip those, too. I think it's a bit better on blu than it was on DVD.

I watched Fellowship of the Ring on BD earlier and I don't remember seeing any logos at all, just straight to the main menu.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 04:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m with speedyink. DVD menues that essentially control the customer drive me f***ing NUTS. Litterally every single day I swear at a DVD or BR since I have a kid and he watches movies every day.

Most recently, The Snowman and the Snowdog. It’s nice because it auto repeats...except it always auto repeats. Over and over. INCLUDING THE ADS every time. It never actually stops.

Many times with Disney movie they give you the DVD and the BR. Usually the BR takes longer for the main load but is less annoying than the DVD.

I love being forced to watch a trailer for a movie “coming soon” in the summer of 2004. I love being forced to watch that ad even though I saw the movie in 2004 and bought the eventual DVD. Still, 14 years later that ad keeps coming up.

The hubris of these publishers is enough to make someone gag.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 13:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think some distributors are worse about than others.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 15:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
I think some distributors are worse about than others.

For sure. Clifford’s Big Movie (vastly worse than the mediocre TV show) boots right to the main menu. It’s like it’s from Japan it something. I have other discs from Schoolastic that are terrible about ads though so it varies. Disney is always the worst.

HD DVD gave me hope since most of the ones I saw had very reasonable menues but it was a short fad. Many BRs are torture. Of course Disney is still the worse.

People who buy discs pay way more for content than other customers yet we are the only ones forced to watch FBI warnings, etc. It’s abuse, straight up. It’s like they want the discs to die.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 15:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
People who buy discs pay way more for content than other customers yet we are the only ones forced to watch FBI warnings, etc. It’s abuse, straight up. It’s like they want the discs to die.

They absolutely want discs to die. They want people on the streaming/digital rental teat.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 16:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
For sure. Clifford’s Big Movie (vastly worse than the mediocre TV show) boots right to the main menu. It’s like it’s from Japan it something.

It's always such a bizarre experience when a terrible movie gets a terrific release.

Looking at you, Super Mario Bros.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 21:49 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

takeshi666 wrote:
I get the impression some of you are focusing too much on the negative. Most discs I watch usually have only a company ident and the copyright warning, and quite often you can skip those, too. I think it's a bit better on blu than it was on DVD.

I watched Fellowship of the Ring on BD earlier and I don't remember seeing any logos at all, just straight to the main menu.

Definitely kudos where it's due, I think it's fantastic that some companies actually cut the crap and let you watch what you paid for. Unfortunately, there's just no standard. I like the consistency of LD, at the most you get an FBI warning and a company logo, and even then you can fast forward if you want.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2019, 00:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’m with speedyink. DVD menues that essentially control the customer drive me f***ing NUTS. Litterally every single day I swear at a DVD or BR since I have a kid and he watches movies every day.

But you're not with me? I said the same thing before speedyink:

Quote:
Another thing that's beautiful about LD is that when you press play it goes straight to the content, no menu, no BS. It makes you feel even more in control. It makes you think "This is yours, you paid for your own copy and you now own it, no strings. Complete control with LD."

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2019, 22:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I may be wrong, however I feel that physical media will increase in popularity for the short term. This includes VHS/BETA/LASERDISCS -

As the move toward streaming as "the norm" rambles onward, netflix and their ilk will show just how fragile this medium for viewing media really is.
(Let us not even mention limited selections ! )
Once the broadband gets more and more overloaded, streaming of content will suffer the price of heavy traffic every evening at peak viewing hours.
Especially around major urban centers.
Already seeing this fragile razors edge of broadband usage in the rural area I occupy. 5G may change this broadband limitation, time will tell.......

When outages occur via broadband (and they do happen semi frequently in my area, including cell phone application !) guess who is still watching movies unimpeded ?

Technology will advance to the next evolution and this too shall pass ........

I am wrong a great deal of the time when speculating about the future. No crystal ball (that functions !) ;^) on my shelves !

However, media you can hold, ie : games cartridges, game discs, dvd's, VHS/BETA tapes, 8 Track, Cassettes, DAT, LP's, and of course the glorious LaserDisc has held favor not just with the populous that has or is dying off in great numbers. The youth have and will eventually discern the value of physical media vs. intangible media. Gotta give young peeps some credit where due. Once young adults and even young children get their sea legs and get a whiff of physical media the cat is out of the bag.

This is and has been my opinion based on raising a young person now in their early 20's ......
(I may be wrong and in a few short years physical media may be gone the way of the dinosaurs, kaput, end, finis ........) I do not really know....

Anyone reading this check the dumpsters around my location when I expire lol !

Shout out to all the membership that still finds enjoyment spinning these shiny metallic platters !

("liner notes, Gatefold Jacket, what is that ?" says a citizen of the near future lol )

Cheers mates

Page 2 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2