It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:05

Page 15 of 21 [ 417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 16:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Is actual commie propaganda (ie: not Russian or Chinese anymore obviously) being exported at all anymore? I’d like to see some if anyone has any cool links. What’s the most culturally relevant (actually) communist country now? Vietnam?

Vietnam is about as communist as China these days, and the only Chinese movie that was kind of(?) propagandaist was that sci-fi movie that came out a year or two ago and even then it's propaganda message was limited to something like "group is more important than the individual". I think North Korea is the only one still holding onto Stalinist values and producing actual propaganda movies, and I'm not even sure about that. I think there was a North Korean movie made in the last 20 years where the message was basically how you should be happy with your state-assigned job and never aspire to be anything more and the film was torn to shreds by foreign media, but I can't remember the name of it.

I did learn of a Soviet movie called The Fall of Berlin from 1950 that was basically just Stalin fanfiction and I kind of want to see it solely because of how blatant, false and in bad taste the whole movie sounds.

Yeah, none of that is Communist, not like the old Russian stuff that would get you out in the fields picking wheat and singing. NK is just a totalitarian hellhole, not that communist really. China is pretty much totally capitalist now, and for sure they wouldn’t be where there are now without making crap for Wallmart.

Cuba strikes me as a somewhat unimpressive but still actually communist country. I can’t say I’ve seen any real state made films from them though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 17:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
Cuba strikes me as a somewhat unimpressive but still actually communist country.

This isn't a personal attack but it amuses me when Americans comment on how insignificant/unimpressive Cuba is. Overall they've had better health care than the US for a very long time, even during crippling economic sanctions.
They also make great cigars.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 22:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hahaha, I'd love to see you try and live in Cuba Deadlegion.

signofzeta wrote:
NK is just a totalitarian hellhole, not that communist really.

:lol:

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 22:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cuba is a fine country. Not a bad place to live at all.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 00:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
gypsy wrote:
I watch LD on CRT so that's definitely not an issue.

I have an LED set that gives me CC, I've heard that some sets don't do the CC anymore but its sort of odd as I thought it was a
mandatory thing in the USA?? Unless they changed that rule :?

I have thought about picking up those CC decoders for my projector but I just don't watch that much stuff to use CC on the projector.

Hello.
CC on LaserDisc was not mandatory. The law did change in the late 1990's for the DVD's. But I still find some from
back yard Co's that put some out now. No CC are SDH on them. To cheap.
The CC decoders for the projectors do work. I have one. AS I'm hard of hearing.
I do check the LaserDisc for CC when I buy them online.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 02:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

On the bright side, I contacted the ebay seller I bought it from and he refunded me immediately, didn't ask any questions, so I definitely mark that down as another positive experience with the guy.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 07:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Hahaha, I'd love to see you try and live in Cuba Deadlegion.

Besides some obvious things like language barrier issues and lack of internet I'd probably be ok.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2019, 19:21 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well I think I just got bilked. An Amazon vendor had the Alamo box set pictured (the extended roadshow version), package just arrived and - of course - it's the gatefold, 2 disc theatrical version.

That's what I get for venturing beyond LDDB! The stores here have always provided the exact disc(s) ordered.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2019, 19:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If it was listed wrong you can return it. Not sure if that is worth the time/effort or not but it's an option.

One LD that I ordered recently has been in the mail 8 days and is now farther away from me than when it started. I'm just hoping it was packed well enough to survive.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2019, 19:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
If it was listed wrong you can return it. Not sure if that is worth the time/effort or not but it's an option.

One LD that I ordered recently has been in the mail 8 days and is now farther away from me than when it started. I'm just hoping it was packed well enough to survive.

Weren't we talking about this just the other day? :lol:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2019, 20:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Usually they don't screw up this badly. This is absurd. My hopes are not that high for it currently.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2019, 04:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:

As soon as I saw this line, I immediately thought of that one Canuck's misadventures in trying to buy The Matrix LD.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2019, 14:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gypsy wrote:
Usually they don't screw up this badly. This is absurd. My hopes are not that high for it currently.

I've had the USPS mis-sort packages and them veer off in weird directions - it should make its way back eventually.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2019, 17:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

deadlegion wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Cuba strikes me as a somewhat unimpressive but still actually communist country.

This isn't a personal attack but it amuses me when Americans comment on how insignificant/unimpressive Cuba is. Overall they've had better health care than the US for a very long time, even during crippling economic sanctions.
They also make great cigars.

I don’t have any issues with Cuba. They seem to be much better at taking care of the place than grabbing international headlines which is something I’d appreciate more from a lot of countries I’d rather live in and one which I do.

I was just saying that their communism isn’t that impressive, not compared to USSR where they had their own brands of cars and nuclear power technology and marketing. We don’t hear about them at all very much now that the US has mostly stopped screwing with them.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2019, 23:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

I was just saying that their communism isn’t that impressive, not compared to USSR where they had their own brands of cars and nuclear power technology and marketing. We don’t hear about them at all very much now that the US has mostly stopped screwing with them.

Well they brought the world to the brink of nuclear war and conducted sustained expeditionary warfare on the other side of the globe with armor. That impresses me. Of course they did it with a lot of Soviet help.

I still would love you guys to move there or talk to the millions that have fled for a better life in the USA and elsewhere. Simple poeple tend to take freedom for granted when they've always had it. They look at Cuba and say "hey, cigars, hot women, sunshine, free healthcare - sign me up". Just hope you don't get on the wrong side of the government or say the wrong thing, or want more for you or your family or want to move or take a holiday or take that job you want instead of the job the government assigns to you. Then you'll end up in the Carribean Gulag...

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2019, 03:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Conversely, you could ask people who moved into Cuba and ask them what it's like.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2019, 06:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Conversely, you could ask people who moved into Cuba and ask them what it's like.

Quote:
This subject came up in a PM today... it's an interesting discussion... here's my dos centavos...

Even though I've spent a considerable amount of time in Cuba I could never live there for an extended period and I could never consider it as a retirement option.

A few (of many) issues for me: Can't own property... can't buy a vehicle... telecommunication infrastructure horrible... crap Internet... if you're into variety it's difficult and expensive to buy/cook your own food... banking is a joke... news sources all government controlled... satellite dishes illegal... health care is generally very poor outside of tourist centres... the beer selection is horribly boring... Honestly, the list is endless.

The people, the general safety, culture, music, etc. and all the other MANY positive aspects that I adore simply can't overcome the glaring negatives for a long term stay.

That said, it's entirely possible (I've done it several times) to find an area you like, rent a long-term casa and "kind of" live like a (rich) local for a period of time... but it will be much more expensive for a lot lower standard of living than in countless places throughout Mexico and Central/South America.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Terry

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopi ... -Cuba.html

That's if you've got a Western pension to live off. Locals make about $18 a month. Of course since they're commies they get a free home and free health care. They can't choose to move if they don't like their place though or the health care or schools in the area though. Wow, I wonder what I'd spend my $18 on..? Maybe in a decade I could save up for mid range laserdisc player? Then maybe one disc a year imported? Any Cuban laserdisc fans living in Cuba here? Nah didn't think so..

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2019, 07:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The post you've linked to is from 7 years ago and it was made by a Canadian :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2019, 08:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

yeah true, I'm sure things are completely different there now.

:roll:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2019, 08:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Last time I checked Canadians had a pretty good domestic welfare system, better than here anyway. Healthcare might be better but certainly couldn't be worse.

Conditions in Cuba have generally improved in the last 10 years.

Page 15 of 21 [ 417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next