LaserDisc Database
https://forum.lddb.com/

What was the last laserdisc you bought?
https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8272
Page 3 of 14

Author:  therussian [ 22 Feb 2019, 21:38 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

xtempo wrote:
would that be the Lord of the Rings on Laserdisc? I wouldn't mind getting the Hobbit one on LaserDisc as I love that one the most.


It is indeed the Animated lord of the Rings on LD. Looks very good actually.

Author:  signofzeta [ 22 Feb 2019, 22:33 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

xtempo wrote:
Out of all of them I like the first the best but still the VS were complete trash though I all of a-ko on VHS and LD though I might get rid of my VHS copies.


The USMC/CPM version of the first one was one of the first three LDs I bought back in the day. Being a theatrical release it’s significantly more high end than the OVAs are but I think they did a good job of putting out a few more. The pool hall scene is awesome as is the whole city getting together to battle aliens. The animation stayed pretty high end through the four of them.

I decided to watch them all in order. I finished 1 and 2 last night.

Author:  gypsy [ 23 Feb 2019, 00:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

I've been pondering getting those.

Author:  signofzeta [ 23 Feb 2019, 01:32 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

The first one is peak 1986...or whatever year it was. The nostalgia is very thick between me and this movie but it really is a first rate theatrical release and not based on any show or manga. It’s very unique creation in that it essentially was a H anthology series (Cream Lemon) that went mainstream. It had the H fan base and momentum from that but it isn’t H and so gained a much broader audience. I guess the same is true of Dream Hunter Rem but that’s a pretty shallow pond compared to A-ko. A-ko has terrific animation, especially the action sequences which range from in the style of Macross to in the style of Contra III. There are 1000 in-jokes, many of which age pretty well.

It’s also the first animated appearance of Yawara and her grandpa (from Yawara!), although unofficial. :)

Author:  gypsy [ 23 Feb 2019, 02:15 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

I've actually seen them all before. I had the DVD set before I gave it away to a friend. I'd definitely want to go for the LDs if I got it again.

Yawara! looks really fun, just a shame it was never all released here.

Author:  signofzeta [ 23 Feb 2019, 03:49 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

Yeah. I was watching Yawara! fansubs and they quit because it was licensed but then Animeigo only did a small chunk of it. I have that DVD set but I have more eps as fansubs on VHS somewhere. I know they go to the Olympics probably at some point...

Author:  gypsy [ 23 Feb 2019, 04:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

Well that sucks, I was assuming fansubs would be finished. Ouch.

Animeigo only did 40 eps. Must not have been profitable, unfortunately.

Author:  lons_vex [ 23 Feb 2019, 10:16 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

I've seen all of Yawara as fansubs.
Really great stuff.
Was considering to grab the LD Box sets for a while even, but then never did :(
They are (albeit very slowly) re-releasing the fansubs now with BD video source.

Author:  signofzeta [ 23 Feb 2019, 15:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

That’s good to know. I guess someone went back to it in the years and years and years since since I checked. :)

Author:  thefringthing [ 07 Mar 2019, 16:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

thefringthing wrote:
rein-o wrote:
thefringthing wrote:
My most recent purchase was The Matrix more than two months ago, but it seems to have been lost in the mail. >:(

You know I had bought some postcards once from Canada and after 2 months the guy gave me credit or something???
At the time I was still buying from him and this was early on before any of the real scammers.

Anyway about 3 months later, 5 total, it came in the mail one day.
I don't think the seller was a scammer, but I suppose it's possible. I hold out hope that it will show up some day, but in the meantime I'm back in the market for The Matrix on LD. Currently zero copies in LDDb stores. :(


Great news! The seller finally got back in contact with me. It was returned to sender for unknown customs problems. He's re-sending.

Author:  gypsy [ 07 Mar 2019, 17:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

I received https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/11017/SF ... Hope-(1977) today from an eBay seller. Will be watching through it tonight to verify no rot or other issues.

Author:  tasuke [ 07 Mar 2019, 18:46 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

signofzeta wrote:
I guess the same is true of Dream Hunter Rem but that’s a pretty shallow pond compared to A-ko...


got to admit though, the main heroine is indeed cute as a button, and certainly my kind of Anime Girl...

Image

Author:  forper [ 09 Mar 2019, 23:53 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

I got this:

Image

My first CDV, great stuff!

Now my MDP650 clamp won't let go of it and the tray ejects with nothing there. I can play the 5 minute MV every time tho

My MDP650 is now a OneWay Generation only playback device : / better get used to it..

Author:  xtempo [ 10 Mar 2019, 00:17 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

how is it? I've only been accustomed to TM Revolution, XJapan and Lar enCiel or however that is spelled.

Author:  forper [ 10 Mar 2019, 02:51 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

Not really into J Rock myself..what have you got CDs? LDs?

Honda is the epitome of '80s Jpop to me and had an "ugly" cute look I can't get over. Of course it's excellent. Good pop music and she's wasn't a manufactured fake idol (although they can be good too haha), she could actually sing. Not sure if this is the only way to get the MV to Oneway Generation, I've had The Virgin Live for a couple of years, still need to get the rest of her LDs.

I've been into Jpop since I first lived with Japanese people in the mid '90s. The last decade I've really been building my collection. I discovered Honda at Takuto in Tokyo (great store if you have a chance to go) about 5 years ago with her collection on CD.

I opened up my 650 and prised the disc off the clamp, no damage done forunately, a few small scatches on the disc that don't effect playback of the audio or video portions.

I then played it in my CDP, the CDP did the same thing! Refused to let go. I had to eject and re eject the tray a few times to retrieve it.

I checked for any sticky residue but nothing. So weird. The disc is identical to a CD, but in gold. How come it sticks to disc clamps?? I can't figure it out.

Has anyone else had the same issue at all?

Author:  signofzeta [ 10 Mar 2019, 15:16 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

Do you have a caliper or micrometer to measure the hole? Maybe it’s slightly too small or has roughness to it.

The physical dimensions should be the same as any CD. Normally the only mechanical issue associated with CDV is that they spin so stupidly fast that it sounds like your player will explode. This and the fact that Western releases can’t be trusted pretty much keeps me away from CDV or 5” LD Singles. I just have a few anime related ones.

Author:  xtempo [ 10 Mar 2019, 20:32 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

forper wrote:
Not really into J Rock myself..what have you got CDs? LDs?

Honda is the epitome of '80s Jpop to me and had an "ugly" cute look I can't get over. Of course it's excellent. Good pop music and she's wasn't a manufactured fake idol (although they can be good too haha), she could actually sing. Not sure if this is the only way to get the MV to Oneway Generation, I've had The Virgin Live for a couple of years, still need to get the rest of her LDs.

I've been into Jpop since I first lived with Japanese people in the mid '90s. The last decade I've really been building my collection. I discovered Honda at Takuto in Tokyo (great store if you have a chance to go) about 5 years ago with her collection on CD.

I opened up my 650 and prised the disc off the clamp, no damage done forunately, a few small scatches on the disc that don't effect playback of the audio or video portions.

I then played it in my CDP, the CDP did the same thing! Refused to let go. I had to eject and re eject the tray a few times to retrieve it.

I checked for any sticky residue but nothing. So weird. The disc is identical to a CD, but in gold. How come it sticks to disc clamps?? I can't figure it out.

Has anyone else had the same issue at all?


some files on the computer. Also forgot I listen to Megumi Hayashibara. I really don't know how I completely forgot her but I did.

Author:  forper [ 11 Mar 2019, 01:07 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

signofzeta wrote:
Do you have a caliper or micrometer to measure the hole? Maybe it’s slightly too small or has roughness to it.

The physical dimensions should be the same as any CD. Normally the only mechanical issue associated with CDV is that they spin so stupidly fast that it sounds like your player will explode. This and the fact that Western releases can’t be trusted pretty much keeps me away from CDV or 5” LD Singles. I just have a few anime related ones.


No calipers or micrometer, but with a good ol' ruler I say it's very close to 14.55mm internal diameter, which is interesting because a few other standard CDs I've measured have indeed come up very slightly larger, closer to 15mm exactly.

I have a few LD singles, they're cool for the content. Would love to have that All That Gundam LD single you have, one day..

Author:  signofzeta [ 11 Mar 2019, 03:11 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

All That Gundam is 8” so you can’t even hear it.

I really wish I had the first Bubblegum Crisis one. I have the second one but the first one is much more expensive and hard to find.

Several UK music CDVs would be mandatory if they weren’t what seem like %90 rot guarantee.

Author:  gypsy [ 11 Mar 2019, 04:47 ]
Post subject:  Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?

signofzeta wrote:
All That Gundam is 8” so you can’t even hear it.

I really wish I had the first Bubblegum Crisis one. I have the second one but the first one is much more expensive and hard to find.

Several UK music CDVs would be mandatory if they weren’t what seem like %90 rot guarantee.


Isn't all this stuff on the first/KS run of the BD? It's been awhile since I put that in, I know it's got a lotttt of extras, I'll check tomorrow.

Page 3 of 14 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/