It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:54

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: What is rare?
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 15:55 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Laser disc sellers like to claim that such-and-such an LD is rare, but this seems to be a subjective call in most cases. As discussed in other threads here, some releases are famous for their limited pressings, etc. But for the most part, even if you had a manifest from each company about the number of pressings released on each title, how could you know what is truly rare, since that is also dependent on circulation?

This topic came up in a discussion with a fellow collector recently. He said he determined what was rare by checking at some of the big eBay shops, and then looked on Amazon for the availability of their DVD editions. I've spent a lot of time scrolling through LD postings, so it's easy to spot a cover I haven't seen before, or haven't seen in a very long time. But that's more anecdotal than an indicator of value.

I always check LDDb for the number of copies of a title currently in shops, and I note how many are in LDDb members' collections or on wish lists, as that indicates desirability. Desirability and value don't always correlate, but how popular a certain title is with avid collectors is a good benchmark for me.

Is there a resource or method you have found to be useful in determining the rareness and value of individual LDs? If so, please share.

:)

Post subject: Re: What is rare?
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 16:20 
True fan
True fan

I especially like it when eBay sellers list an LD as OOP. :lol:

TLK :cool:

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 16:32 
True fan
True fan

lizardkingjr wrote:
I especially like it when eBay sellers list an LD as OOP. :lol:

I like it even better when someone lists Aliens CAV Boxset or Jurassic Park as RARE and OOP

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 18:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Dont mess with my Jurassic Park boxed set. As soon as I destroy the million copies in existance it will be. Rare is subjective. When you have the only item of its kid for sale it is rare.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 21:33 
True fan
True fan

mikeystoyz wrote:
Dont mess with my Jurassic Park boxed set. As soon as I destroy the million copies in existance it will be. Rare is subjective. When you have the only item of its kid for sale it is rare.

As long as you don't ever try to list it as rare. I've seen so many listings of Jurassic Park as RARE. I believe the CAV box set that I bought for a dollar plus shipping was listed as rare. The only barely rare version of that movie is the AC-3 pressing. I can never find one.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 23:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have one somewhere, I believe, lol. I use them as fillers

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2012, 00:05 
True fan
True fan

mikeystoyz wrote:
I have one somewhere, I believe, lol. I use them as fillers

If I ever buy an expensive disc from you, which I'm sure I will at some point in my life, I expect that Jurassic Park AC-3 pressing to be used as filler, lol

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2012, 00:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just remind me, seriously, if I have one I will throw it in. Heck, I think I just sold the dts one for like 10 bucks.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2012, 02:04 
True fan
True fan

mikeystoyz wrote:
Just remind me, seriously, if I have one I will throw it in. Heck, I think I just sold the dts one for like 10 bucks.

Will you sell me your Brute Force (1947) LaserDisc for $10? :) If so, just e-mail me. I bought your Idolmaker LD a month or so ago.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2012, 02:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sure, make me a best offer, shipping is like 3.58, would run you 13.58 total! Just send the BE

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2012, 20:07 
flcl4evr wrote:
mikeystoyz wrote:

As long as you don't ever try to list it as rare. I've seen so many listings of Jurassic Park as RARE. I believe the CAV box set that I bought for a dollar plus shipping was listed as rare. The only barely rare version of that movie is the AC-3 pressing. I can never find one.

I found one for pretty cheap a little over a year ago. I forget what i got it for, but it was less than $10. I'd like to find the french CAV release:
Jurassic Park (1993) [PLFFD 32711]
I love the box on that one.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]