It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:18

Page 1 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Best educational collections? (All subjects, new collector)
PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 18:59 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

At 32 years old, I only ever witnessed the tail-end of Laserdisc. I can see why it never clicked with the wider mass, but also why cinema enthusiests and TEACHERS where very much interested. Where there's interest, there's media one doesn't find in the badly chocked educational system of today. I'm already in process of securing/saving-for the Pioneer V2800. I like the machine's compact size, and am a student of hardware modification. (Hence, I will mod in HDMI output later.)

But one list eludes me somewhat. What where the best educational collections released to disc? It's not as straightforward as the Criterion Collection "DVDs" of it's day. Those had one major field, the motion picture. In education we have math, science, chemistry, electronics and numerous other potential subjects. Space limitations DEMAND I pick quality over quantity. Hence, I'm looking for recommendations and links to make sure that space is well used.

I'm mainly interested in subjects that really benefit from the freeze and navigation features Laserdisc provided. Anything where repeat sentimental viewing is useful for memorization. Documentaries or School House Rock usually involve start to finish viewing suited to computer video files. "Grade level" isn't as important since I intend on sharing these along with viewing them myself. Basically, I'm collecting educational refreshers for adults and children alike.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by luckarusky on 29 May 2019, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Best educational collections? (All subjects, new collect
PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 19:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This is a highly elusive subject. There is no way of knowing what titles were available. Only some of them are listed here on LDDB, but the reality is a lot different. Additionally, most of the educational titles included teachers manuals and other supplements, and often those materials are 'missing' and all you have is the disc. For those that do, you will need a LaserBarCode reader. Many require the use of a PC or MAC which runs specific hardware/software combinations to interact with the player and disc (Interactive Level III). That hardware is incredibly hard to find, and the machines to take the boards are no longer made (think ISA slots) and Windows 3.1. Even rarer is finding the software that goes along with it. Sometimes you get lucky.

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 19:37 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

blam1 wrote:
This is a highly elusive subject. There is no way of knowing what titles were available. Only some of them are listed here on LDDB, but the reality is a lot different. Additionally, most of the educational titles included teachers manuals and other supplements, and often those materials are 'missing' and all you have is the disc. For those that do, you will need a LaserBarCode reader. Many require the use of a PC or MAC which runs specific hardware/software combinations to interact with the player and disc (Interactive Level III). That hardware is incredibly hard to find, and the machines to take the boards are no longer made (think ISA slots) and Windows 3.1. Even rarer is finding the software that goes along with it. Sometimes you get lucky.

Well I'm not in a crazy hurry, and have my reasons for such a collection. I just needs names, and can peck away at finding the material. As for LaserBarcode, thanks for bringing that up! I'm a computer enthusiast both new and retro. So I can probably find the solutions needed for interface. (Now that I'm aware of it.)

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 21:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

luckarusky wrote:
Pioneer V2800. I like the machine's compact size, and am a student of hardware modification. (Hence, I will mod in HDMI output later.)

I was told by grasshopper that you can add HDMI but you won't get the audio, I don't know if this is due to the audio
being in a different area or needing the onboard audio board?

Anyway would love to see this.

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 04:14 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:

I was told by grasshopper that you can add HDMI but you won't get the audio, I don't know if this is due to the audio
being in a different area or needing the onboard audio board?

Anyway would love to see this.

As long as the audio comes out the usual ports, I can compensate with adapters or alternate inputs. speakers are also an option. (I'm using separate speakers for my rig anyway.) Adapters and input sources would work fine for PC recording if that is done. Probably fairly obvious, but I'm a PC guru with a side love for the retro.

P.S. That's my service dog on the profile picture. Shadow :thumbup:

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 04:23 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

blam1 wrote:

I'm actually one step ahead of you with the ISA boards and windows 3.1 or equivalent. Such older machines are part of the retro tech I'm restoring, with an external ISA slot expansion to hold additional hardware. I can't think of a much better use for such beyond a CGA card or Adlib sound. :D

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 08:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I wasn't aware an additional ISA card would even be needed. Don't the industrial models just hook up to a standard serial port? I think Windows 98 even had native support for laserdisc players.

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 17:42 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

the cable would have to be special since the port is not the standard one unless the ISA card has the correct port on it which uses the special cable. Otherwise I believe an adapter cable would have to be used. I still am trying to figure out my Pioneer IU-04 and how that works with the computer. I assume it has something to do with educational purposes but there's isn't any documentation other than a Service manual which I still need to get { a real copy]

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 19:13 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

takeshi666 wrote:
I wasn't aware an additional ISA card would even be needed. Don't the industrial models just hook up to a standard serial port? I think Windows 98 even had native support for laserdisc players.

Good news for me if it did. Windows 98 is the target OS for one of my retro laptops. I'll keep in mind a serial cable is needed for it to interface. (And research further to confirm this.)

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 23:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Serial is absolutely necessary for Level III interactivity. Some advanced applications had a plug-in board that would interface the audio/video with that of the computer, resulting in a single monitor. This wasn't necessarily part of the "Educational" offering, but some of the industrial applications used such an interface.

Most though will be simple barcode interfaces.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 01:28 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

blam1 wrote:
Serial is absolutely necessary for Level III interactivity. Some advanced applications had a plug-in board that would interface the audio/video with that of the computer, resulting in a single monitor. This wasn't necessarily part of the "Educational" offering, but some of the industrial applications used such an interface.

Most though will be simple barcode interfaces.

Copy that then! Think I'll be good with a windows 98 with a serial port? Or should I set up a windows 3.1 machine for the job? btw, the laptop I set aside for windows 98 is a Pentium 3 IBM Think Pad with a serial in the back. I've lined up an adapter to use a solid state in it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QX7WB2K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2RDTIPPCG3R38&psc=1
(And seen several videos that confirming one CAN put Windows 98 on a solid state with a few tweaks and considerations.)

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 03:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think barcode and serial are going to be the most common stuff you find. Unless there is actual LDROM data to send to the PC or a need for some control of the LD player beyond serial (not sure what that would be...) I don’t know what special cards would even be good for. Chroma keying...maybe on really special stuff. You have to keep in mind that we’re really only talking about a video player and a 8/16 bit computer with like 4MB of RAM and likely CRAP video. What interfacing could they possibly be doing that was worth it?

When educational discs first kicked off Japan was not that into MSDOS based PCs so maybe some of the special hardware is for PC9800 or some such stuff? I’m not sure how many JDM educational LDs there are...I think maybe zero actually...they have a standard school system so I assume they either made a TON of them or none.

I can certainly imagine some good ways to combined LD with CDROM and all that but I’m not sure how often that was done if ever. Maybe for the amusement industry.

There was a A-100 doodad that basically just put a serial port on a home deck. IIRC it came with a demo “game” that you played between your PC and your Laseractive using a commonly found Tenchi Muyo disc. That kind of thing is always attractive until you actually a) play it and/or b) pay for it. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 09:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

luckarusky wrote:
Copy that then! Think I'll be good with a windows 98 with a serial port? Or should I set up a windows 3.1 machine for the job? btw, the laptop I set aside for windows 98 is a Pentium 3 IBM Think Pad with a serial in the back. I've lined up an adapter to use a solid state in it.

When I said "support", I mean it comes with default drivers for a laserdisc accessory. You'll still need some sort of an application to actually operate the player via PC. I think laserdiscarchive has some sort of software to this end, but I've never tried it since I don't own an industrial model.

Like Zeta says, the kind of content that would actually involve computer generated graphics as an overlay on the laserdisc's own video (and thus require an additional board for the PC) would be incredibly rare. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen this being incorporated in an IBM PC compatible environment. Even the Domesday Project uses a BBC Micro.

Last edited by takeshi666 on 31 May 2019, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 09:01 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some random google PDF findings:

CD-ROMSs and Laserdiscs for Science
Videodiscs in Education

https://www.safarimontage.com/pdfs/training/usingeducationalvideointheclassroom.pdf

Julien

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 15:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

xtempo wrote:
the cable would have to be special since the port is not the standard one unless the ISA card has the correct port on it which uses the special cable. Otherwise I believe an adapter cable would have to be used. I still am trying to figure out my Pioneer IU-04 and how that works with the computer. I assume it has something to do with educational purposes but there's isn't any documentation other than a Service manual which I still need to get { a real copy]

Now that I look at the back of this I wonder if it’s main function was to just get a LD player and a PC to use the same screen.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 16:31 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Possibly I gave Julien the service manual which is uploaded. you can take a look at that but going by what you think I am beginning to think that as well. Wish I had a blasted manual for that to make sure.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 19:45 
Honest fan
Honest fan

luckarusky wrote:
Well I'm not in a crazy hurry, and have my reasons for such a collection. I just needs names, and can peck away at finding the material. As for LaserBarcode, thanks for bringing that up! I'm a computer enthusiast both new and retro. So I can probably find the solutions needed for interface. (Now that I'm aware of it.)

I found this page while looking for remotes to add to the hardware section. It did take me to an order form I just can't tell if this is current or someone forgot to turn off the old web server :lol: , so maybe they still sell this bar code reader/remote. They also list software & maybe the site has other info you will eventually find useful:

http://www.geodatasys.com/barcode.htm#barcode

UPDATE: ...well, somebody is doing some recent upkeep: ".©2019 GeoData Systems Management Inc., Berea, OH 44017-0366 USA"

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 07:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

remav wrote:
UPDATE: ...well, somebody is doing some recent upkeep: ".©2019 GeoData Systems Management Inc., Berea, OH 44017-0366 USA"

That could just be an automated thing. I'd still try to actually contact them.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2019, 06:36 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

remav wrote:
luckarusky wrote:

I found this page while looking for remotes to add to the hardware section. It did take me to an order form I just can't tell if this is current or someone forgot to turn off the old web server :lol: , so maybe they still sell this bar code reader/remote. They also list software & maybe the site has other info you will eventually find useful:

http://www.geodatasys.com/barcode.htm#barcode

Nice! I've saved and bookmarked said-site for the scanning equipment. Excellent timing on that find too! I've found a mod for my IBM thinkpad that will allow me to install additional PCI hardware.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Laptop-PC-Expansion-Cards-34-54-To-Dual-PCI-Express-1X-Enclosure-case-Box/311803828793

I also got some modern adapter parts that allow an SSD to be installed on such laptops, with a 120gb drive's name on it. I'll have all those parts by mid next month. Some financial recovery post-splurge is necessary before getting the Laserdisc player. (It would actually really help if someone has a pioneer cld-v2800 they don't want.. Not impossible since it doesn't have double side play. heh!) But interface wise, I'm set with a proper windows 98 machine that can be expanded for the correct connection type.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2019, 16:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Aside from very special software packages like amusement rides or whatever you are only going to need RS232, a serial port, which you can still buy adaptors for even now. If you have some kind of DOS emulator that works with a USB to serial adaptor then you’re set for the vast majority of educational discs aside from a barcode reader of course which is what most of them use.

Page 1 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next