It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:23

Page 3 of 7 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help with newly aquired RLV Discs?
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 07:29 
True fan
True fan

Well since it seems borderline impossible to record on to these discs, does anyone have any clue what they might be worth? I know they're very niche and will likely take awhile to sell.

I honestly would trade one of them for the Japanese Twin Peaks box-set + Fire Walk With Me just so I can stop fawning over it.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 14:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

8 bucks :think:

I highly doubt you will be trading an even up for Twin Peaks to blanks.

I want to say there was someone here years ago who had them on ebay selling them for around 15 or 20 a blank.
But one has to think if all who wanted them got them???

Good luck on flipping them, did you try facebook ldforever??

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 16:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Hey Rein-O, how many times have you doubled the price of that Astro Boy set since you bought it? And it still hasn’t sold? Maybe you should take your own advice. $8000?

I mean...there’s hypocrite and then there is $8000 hypocrite....what the hell...telling the guy it’s only worth what he paid but you live the exact opposite version; anything that touches your hands gets marked up.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 16:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
Hey Rein-O, how many times have you doubled the price of that Astro Boy set since you bought it? And it still hasn’t sold? Maybe you should take your own advice. $8000?

I mean...there’s hypocrite and then there is $8000 hypocrite....what the hell...telling the guy it’s only worth what he paid but you live the exact opposite version; anything that touches your hands gets marked up.

Hes asking for advice, you get what you pay for :lol:

I would't pay anything for those discs as I know they aren't worth anything other than to look at.
But its all good, I know you are cheap as you wouldn't even buy the set on YJ.

Last one I saw was 200, it didn't have the case or boxes or booklet just the discs and sleeves.
So you can have that one. Don't be a sourpuss that I'm asking a stupid price for stupid LDs :lol:

Our newbie can ask whatever he wants, I think he thinks he can do the ole "what's this worth" and "I want to flip it fast rather than sit
for 2 years on ebay or 10 years here in an lddb shop where it won't sell".

And you only complain about the 1 disc I have a stupid price on, you don't complain about the other discs I have 10 bucks on that just
sit there and have sat there for the past 3 years.

EDIT: I'm sort of PO'ed that we are only allowed to put a maximum price of 9999.99 on an item.
Not really seller friendly, I want to ask more for my Testuwan Atom set now that zeta keeps grilling me about it.

Tetsuwan Atom Astroboy: Limited Deluxe Edition (1963) [SF220-1700]

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 21:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Astro boy always made me queezy. This little do-gooder s**t in underpants that had a laser coming out of his butt. I never saw the appeal.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 22:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I would hold on to them for a bit, there is a small chance that you will be able to put a image on them but there is still a chance. Certainly worth more than $8 its cool .
I do find that old astro boy set for 8G hilarious, im only new here let me know if im wrong but that guy is dreaming lol.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 23:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jakeheke wrote:
I do find that old astro boy set for 8G hilarious, im only new here let me know if im wrong but that guy is dreaming lol.

Well its listed at 9999.99 now so I'm off to bed :lol: Hopefully I will wake up and someone will buy it, possibly you!!!!!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 23:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I remember being in a state of mind where I was considering trying to talk you into selling the Atom box to me. I don’t recall what your asking price was then but I wouldn’t consider anything close to even half of $8000 so clearly you owning the item seems to give it some kind of amazing collector cache. It had to be $2000 or less at some point, right? What did you pay, $150? How much a lock of your hair must be worth...

I would pay $30 plus shipping for one of the RVL discs.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 23:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah I think I had it around 800 at one time but you still griped about cost, I can't remember what I paid now as its been years
but I'm not selling it cheap, it was a grand new back in the day and they didn't sell many.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 23:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So you’ve marked it up 10 times what if once was for sale for, probably 20x what you paid for it if not more. Your only argument for the insane price is that none are for sale, which is a situation you help perpetuate by never selling your copy.

Have you watched it?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 23:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
Have you watched it?

Yes.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 04:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'd put them up for sale for 10.00 each. I think you said you had 20 so 200 if you get them all sold. They make good collectors pieces. I checked my shelf it seems I have 5 of them and each in a big plastic white case. I can't remember, I may have bought from rein-o, don't maybe. I think they're pretty cool.

You would have to agree that someone, somewhere who worked with the ODC machine would know what happened to them. It's a big machine so, if it got stored some place or scrapped, someone had to move it or call someone. I can't believe anyone would still have been using them in the 2000's though. I would think by '99 they would have been moved out because DVD was in full swing by then.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 05:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I enjoyed that Regular Show guy thinking you could just waltz into a video production house and they would have one of these beasts up and running for his pet project. Then, acting like it was in the bag and...disappearing. Never mind that the RLV recorder takes up several racks, weighs over half a ton, has a delicate optical platform on a slab of granite, and uses a CO2 laser that needs a gas supply apparently...nope, a system worthy of a physics lab was kept online just for a gag project :crazy:

Attachments:
ODC Laserdisc Recorder  LVDR-610.JPG
ODC Laserdisc Recorder LVDR-610.JPG [ 37.96 KiB | Viewed 2240 times ]

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 06:08 
True fan
True fan

harlock wrote:
I enjoyed that Regular Show guy thinking you could just waltz into a video production house and they would have one of these beasts up and running for his pet project. Then, acting like it was in the bag and...disappearing. Never mind that the RLV recorder takes up several racks, weighs over half a ton, has a delicate optical platform on a slab of granite, and uses a CO2 laser that needs a gas supply apparently...nope, a system worthy of a physics lab was kept online just for a gag project :crazy:

Yeah I got into contact with him just to see what information he had, and he admitted he had no clue. Originally he stated that he had someone with the means to record onto an RLV but that turned out to be a misunderstanding with a German fella.

They're neat and I don't mind holding onto them for awhile, at the very least they're something to talk about, and if by some miracle a recorder exists somewhere who knows I might put something on it.

I can take care of the Granite issue at least, I live about a mile from a giant granite quarry and a friend who makes tombstones for a living from said granite.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 08:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

[quote="tomtastic"]I'd put them up for sale for 10.00 each. I think you said you had 20 so 200 if you get them all sold. They make good collectors pieces. I checked my shelf it seems I have 5 of them and each in a big plastic white case. I can't remember, [quote]
Do you mind sharing photos of your Recordable LDs? Would love to see more. I would be more than happy to pay you $10USD for one of yours. :thumbup:
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 13:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I never had them for sale, I think it was mikeyztoyz? Or someone who was on the forum years ago but no longer on.
I almost bought one but then decided against it as I have a lot of stuff in the house that is like that and it may have been when I was moving??

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 21:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
I never had them for sale, I think it was mikeyztoyz? Or someone who was on the forum years ago but no longer on.
I almost bought one but then decided against it as I have a lot of stuff in the house that is like that and it may have been when I was moving??

Ok, must have been someone else. Too long ago now. Might have been mikeytoyz. I recall he got a lot of stuff from rummage sales and such maybe in California. Other than that I don't remember. Is Duncan still around? I think he was the guy who repaired laserdisc equipment, out of Seattle I think. I found an old post of his but it said Guest.

Getting back to recording laserdisc. You know there was CD Video that hybrid cd/laserdisc limited/obscure format. The laserdisc part that was encoded onto it. I don't know the process, but that's still just on a CD not a pressed layered laserdisc. Now let's just say you could encode that somehow, it might give you 20 minutes of video/audio. Now how would one go about that? Recording onto laserdisc with a laser, it's a special NTSC analog encoding. If it can be done on the VDR V1000 there would likely be a way to do it with backwards engineering. Someone who understands the recording process obviously would have to come up with a way to create a burning method with a CD/DVD burner. Of course a lot of trouble for 20 minutes of analog video. I wouldn't say it's impossible that you couldn't create a new laserdisc recording, but it's certainly unlikely given how backwards the technology is now by today's standards. But with newer technology and cheaper manufacturing that also opens up more possibility to clone the process.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 21:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

harlock wrote:

Maybe he’s just watched too much Regular Show. They go to go to space or the core of the earth like nothing. Time travel just to form a band...

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 21:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Have you watched it?

Yes.

So when I break into your house to steal this tonight I’m not going to find any sealed discs, right?

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 06:18 
Serious fan
Serious fan

As for recording your own CDV discs, the device you are looking for to generate the appropriate laser modulation is the Kenwood DV-3560 LD/CDV RF modulator. A few of these have surfaced on Yahoo Japan over the years.

Page 3 of 7 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next