It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suggested tweak to PDO UK rotters...
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2019, 18:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If any rot is seen on a PDO UK disk, it should go straight to "High Probability" - in general entire runs of PDO UK disks rot.

simoni (on #domesday86 IRC): I would change it to "If it's a PDO UK disc - it should be marked "DOA"" :)

Seriously PDO UK makes DADC US look like late Kuraray. They couldn't press CD's that didn't rot for a while...

edit: ... and speaking of, any PDO UK 5" CD-V should automatically go to "avoid this release"

Post subject: Re: Suggested tweak to PDO UK rotters...
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2019, 02:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Surprisingly Cascar discs (released in Belgium) made by PDO have been free of laserrot for all these years when all pressed by Kuraray have laserrot.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2019, 16:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have had this discussion with one of our forum members this week and PDO UK is simply the worst of them all. The worst is that the video is still usable at times while the audio has turned into complete garbage.

I had a 5 inch CDV like that that had the video still intact but the audio was practically gone. However I also have a CDV that has some speckles but the audio is still in great shape.
Not all PDO UKs are total rotters but many have serious audio related issues.

However and I said this here before I have some PDO UK discs in my collection with speckles but that have not deteriorated ever since I bought them more than fifteen years ago.

Btw, early DADC US discs are excellent in my view. I have never had any issues with the early DADC US releases. It only started getting worse once it went past number 2000 in the mint marks.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 16:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Agreed on early DADC, I've seen some great ones too. And even many of the DADC rotters are level 1/2, I'm used to dealing with much worse ;)

(and really, most of the questionable quality DADC titles are on Blu Ray anyway! They didn't do industrial/specialized disks AFAIK)

One unique issue with mid/late 80's PDO UK disks is edge rot, where the bronzing is creeping in from the outside of the disk. This was a good bit of simoni's impetus for the Domesday Duplicator board - getting high quality RF images before that reached actual content and not just the on-disk user guides...

OTOH, even rot plants have good days...

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 03:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

happycube wrote:

One unique issue with mid/late 80's PDO UK disks is edge rot, where the bronzing is creeping in from the outside of the disk.

Sadly it affects '90s PDO LDs also, perhaps something that may happen to most but hopefully not all PDO LDs.

I had two copies of the 1995 PDO pressed Dune: Special Edition on LDD 1009 (their '85 pressing of Dune on TLP 90 3025 1 is just a basket case in so many ways) & both of them when I got them over 12 years ago now were perfect. One of them within a few years of me owning it started to show the edge thing you refer to, the other one which I still have was & still is fine & plays well but that was a couple of years ago now so perhaps time to check it again.

I have a few PDO LDs that are very discoloured but they still play well - others though are rot hell.

PDO did press some great discs (hope I am not going to jinx them now!!) & just as an example The Hammer Box set is one where quite a few copies have passed through my hands & all were perfect, really good transfers & never an issue with any of them.

The "good" PDO LDs I still have were checked again fairly recently, all within the last couple of years, with them all still performing as they should but I do have to admit I am a little wary every time I spin them up.

Hope we can still play them in the years to come - fingers & everything else crossed!

Cheers :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019, 02:21 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I must be the odd one out because nearly all my PDO UK discs are fine. Most of mine are from the early 80s, the only ones that have problems are the 'gold' CD Video LDs.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019, 02:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

kid_dynamo wrote:
I must be the odd one out because nearly all my PDO UK discs are fine. Most of mine are from the early 80s, the only ones that have problems are the 'gold' CD Video LDs.

I'll have to agree with kid_dynamo. My experience with PDO has not been that bad at all. Less than 10% of the titles I have seen rotted copies of have come from that plant. Also, most have been only level one rot. The only two really bad ones I have seen were 1 copy of Saigon Commandos and the Hong Kong release of Night of the Running Man.

David

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019, 09:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

kid_dynamo wrote:

The very early PDO discs in my collection ( PAL, analogue audio ) play just fine even though there are some speckles. I mostly have problems
with the later PDO releases from the late 80s/early 90s.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 01:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have a whole bunch of PDO UK discs in my collection, almost all of which have moderate to heavy rot, and some of which have unplayable sides except in test mode.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]