It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Laserdisc capture not as sharp as direct playback on TV.
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 22:29 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I have been capturing my LDs using a Startech USB2HDCAP with a Pioneer DVL-919 and recently a Panasonic LX-101 + a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB3.
I am satisfied with the results. However, when I connect the player directly to my 4K Sony TV, the picture is sharp and clean but the picture that gets captured has slightly different colors and is a little soft and blurry.

I've tried both Composite and S-Video input/outputs and for me S-Video produces sharper picture. But both not as sharp as the picture I get when directly connected to TV.
Both my capture devices can capture in HD so that should produce sharp images from a lower resolution source. Isn't that correct?

Has anyone had the same experience? What else can I do for a better capture?

Thanks

Last edited by phoenixobia on 30 Jan 2020, 20:48, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Laserdisc capture not as sharp as direct playback on TV.
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 23:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

This isn’t surprising. Capture devices are essentially TVs in themselves so they produce a different image than your actual TV. I have two Bravias that beat the pants of any capture device I’ve used. I’m speaking of a 2017 4K one and a 2004 HDCRT. Sony puts better video processing devices in their TV than you get from gamer-grade doodads. :)

If you want to reproduce Sony’s specific brand of processing you could perhaps run everything through one of their Blu-ray recorders.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 02:17 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt interiors

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 04:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

substance wrote:
https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=5725

How handy!

Seems like it would be less than ideal for LD.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 06:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

USB Capture devices never perform as well as internal PCI/PCI-E capture cards. Hauppauge is my brand of choice for capture devices, I've been using their products for over a decade.
https://www.hauppauge.com/

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 15:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I have two Bravias that beat the pants of any capture device I’ve used. I’m speaking of a 2017 4K one and a 2004 HDCRT.
Sony puts better video processing devices in their TV than you get from gamer-grade doodads. :)

that's what i was afraid of. my 2011 BEST BUY INSIGNIA 46" LCD has some killer analog upscaling electronics onboard,
and i sweat bullets in anticipation of the day it croaks, as i've no idea where i might find an external upscaler that is as good or better...

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 16:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

From the pictures you've posted, I wouldn't worry much at all about finding something as good as or better than that Insignia. You'll be fine when the time comes. Like Zeta said, the Bravias are a good option.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 20:41 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:
This isn’t surprising. Capture devices are essentially TVs in themselves so they produce a different image than your actual TV. I have two Bravias that beat the pants of any capture device I’ve used. I’m speaking of a 2017 4K one and a 2004 HDCRT. Sony puts better video processing devices in their TV than you get from gamer-grade doodads. :)

If you want to reproduce Sony’s specific brand of processing you could perhaps run everything through one of their Blu-ray recorders.

That actually makes sense. My TV is also a 4K Bravia. Though I need to test it to be sure, as I am concerned about deinterlacing. I need my captures to be interlaced so I can decide how I want it deinterlaced (IVTC, 30i to 60p, etc) depending on the source. Wondering if anyone knows about the interlacing process on the recorders, if any at all.

Since I've already bought my capture device, I am looking into the option of using an Upscaler to convert the analog signals to HDMI, and feed the HDMI into the capture device.

I've ordered a KanexPro RCA/S-Video To 4K HDMI Converter. Will test once I have it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 15:43 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So I tested the Upscaler I got (KanexPro RCA/S-Video To 4K HDMI Converter) to convert my analog video to HDMI and send it to the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle for capture.

I am shocked at how terrible the picture is. The brightness is too much that the picture is burnt, the color is so pale, picture is a stretched 16:9, and more importantly it deinterlaces the video badly and you can't get interlaced output to work on later, it only adds some digital noise reduction and sharpness that makes the picture look unnatural. You can't even adjust the color or lighting. I have a feeling a BluRay/DVD recorder would also deinterlace.

I prefer the direct capture I get from the analog connection.

Does anyone know if the recorders deinterlace or not? I am not sure if trying another Upscaler is any different.

Thanks

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 20:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

phoenixobia wrote:
So I tested the Upscaler I got (KanexPro RCA/S-Video To 4K HDMI Converter) to convert my analog video to HDMI and send it to the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle for capture.

I am shocked at how terrible the picture is. The brightness is too much that the picture is burnt, the color is so pale, picture is a stretched 16:9, and more importantly it deinterlaces the video badly and you can't get interlaced output to work on later, it only adds some digital noise reduction and sharpness that makes the picture look unnatural. You can't even adjust the color or lighting. I have a feeling a BluRay/DVD recorder would also deinterlace.

I prefer the direct capture I get from the analog connection.

Does anyone know if the recorders deinterlace or not? I am not sure if trying another Upscaler is any different.

Thanks

Pretty sure both high definition DVD recorders I have can be set to output 1080i over hdmi. Probably not what you're asking though :P

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 21:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Typically recorders don’t have many settings. They give you a choice between quality, much like a VCR’s SP, LP, SLP switches and that’s about it from my experience. I haven’t used a BR recorder but I’d sure like to.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]