It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:33

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Techniques for digitalization and restoration of Laserdi
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 15:28 
Third post and above
Third post and above

trixter wrote:
(2)hint: Use ffmpegsource for import, as avisource converts everything to 8-bit... another hint, use avisynth+ which supports YUV422P10 colorspaces)

Thanks for all the tips! I am trying to work out how you keep it 10-bit though with plugins like nnedi3 only working in YUY2? Wouldn't it need to be p210 to stay 10-bit?

It also seems NeatVideo translates everything to RGB32 and back when it processes?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 07:07 
Serious fan
Serious fan

most blackmagic devices have a low pass filter that reduces resolution.

also, to say ld isnt composite but rf is wrong. that is like saying fm radio is not audio, it is rf. rf is how it is stored, not what is stored. composite video is stored on ld.

the composite signal is fm modulated and then stored on the disc via pwm.

the vidio is composite, meaning the colort and luminance are all one signal. doesnt matter that it is them rf fm modulated, the point is that the luma and chroma info on an ld is stored as one signal. so using the Y/c out is relying on the 90s tech of the player to separate it.

check the ld screenshot thread for my samples around page 18.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 18:48 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thanks for the clarification. I posted my process because I don't have the resources to try the full domesday method, and I feel that the oversampling and processing I perform is certainly more than acceptable, so I thought it could help others in the same situation.

I would certainly love to attempt better conversions, but I don't have the finances to obtain more LD players (my only working player is a CLD-D606). If there are better ways to convert from that player, I'd certainly like to hear about them.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 04:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

trixter wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. I posted my process because I don't have the resources to try the full domesday method, and I feel that the oversampling and processing I perform is certainly more than acceptable, so I thought it could help others in the same situation.

I would certainly love to attempt better conversions, but I don't have the finances to obtain more LD players (my only working player is a CLD-D606). If there are better ways to convert from that player, I'd certainly like to hear about them.

You may have it as best as you can with what you have. I should have said: "most blackmagic cards low pass filter the COMPOSITE input", i don't know if they low pass filter the svideo input. So by using SVIDEO out of the player, you may not be hindered by that resolution softening of the BM card. Or you could have a card that doesn't cause it to soften. Only way to tell for sure is to try it both ways (composite and svideo) with a high resolution test pattern and also compare to what you see with your eyes when it is connected directly to the TV. I noticed a higher resolution when I plugged directly into my TV rather than my BM cards/devices, and then it was seconded by another user i was talking with. The svideo out of my 1000u is _poor_ quality so i don't use it, but the 1000u has a nice high resolution composite output.

You can get a decent ld-decode RF capture method setup for under probably $75 if you can solder. under $150 if you can't. (using CX card)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 05:46 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Ah, that is something I can test, as I have the Video Essentials LD and there's a horizontal sweep pattern or two on there. If I find anything suspicious on the Y/C output compared to the composite output, I'll report back.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 17:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

trixter wrote:
Ah, that is something I can test, as I have the Video Essentials LD and there's a horizontal sweep pattern or two on there. If I find anything suspicious on the Y/C output compared to the composite output, I'll report back.

the multiburst will definitely work, but the VE also has this image, which is the one i like, because it specifically denotes the TVL and has a range that spans completely into unresolvable detail.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2