It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:43

Page 3 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Paper Sleeves VS Plastic Sleeves
PostPosted: 08 May 2021, 23:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

UPDATE:

After years of empty promises I finally made the video version of my most common post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3O-vHpHRpM&t=193s

Still can't figure out how to embed YT videos...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 02:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah I agree about the shrink wrap. I always get rid of it but I do cut out the stickers that were on it and throw it inside the sleeve for safe keeping.

Last edited by ldfan on 09 May 2021, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 14:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, if it’s a particularly cool sticker I do the same thing.

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 16:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Bonus points for the Densha de Go-esque gloves! :clap:

Side note. I abhor elephant johnnies. However I got a disc recently that had a 'hard' elephant johnny? I've never come across those (excuse pun) before. They seem pretty good. Though for me I prefer to replace all my sleeves with these:

https://mofi.com/products/mfslis_origin ... pack_of_50

They cost a bit more in the EU but I find they are the best quality.

EDIT: Also good points you make about paper. On a semi-related note, I'm extremely particular when it comes to notebooks. For regular scribbles I just use whatever I can pull out of a printer tray, or I use a Collins planner to fill in particular stuff. Meeting notes etc.

For more serious notes or writing I go for Leuchturm1917 or the higher end Rhodia notebooks. There's some great notebooks made in Japan by Stalogy and Midori. A bit out of my price range though after import fees. And of course, I wouldn't write in such notebooks with a feckin Bic! I use a mix of Lamy and Visconti pens with different inks, depending on the paper weight and potential to bleed. Same for letter writing. Type it up on a computer but if it warrants signing I'd use a premium paper to compliment the ink used.

Again, depends what it is, and those are uncommon occasions. Most days it's using my Collins planner or whatever scraps are in my laser printer tray. 60/70gsm stuff. Then a mix of uniball gel pens or a pencil.

I guess while on the subject of pens (and for a small thread derail, apologies), you can really get in to them big time. Some stuff can go for 10's of 1000's of $/$/¥/£ and beyond. I never went to that level but I had some nice pens in the past. A 1933 World's Fair Bantam and a Visconti Van Gogh Collection beauty which I stupidly sold on and now regret. I'd love another Van Gogh or my most wanted pen, the 1940's Wahl Eversharp Skyline!

This was the Visconti Van Gogh I had. I want another! :(

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 20:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well I hope toy was still ok even though I didn't use white gloves and was I think in my work or under shorts when I watched it and handled it. :wtf:

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 22:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
Well I hope toy was still ok even though I didn't use white gloves and was I think in my work or under shorts when I watched it and handled it. :wtf:

It’s honestly a PITA to handle LDs with these gloves or probably any gloves. T-oy is is VG+, no issues.

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 22:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

teddanson wrote:

Bonus points for the Densha de Go-esque gloves! :clap:

Side note. I abhor elephant johnnies. However I got a disc recently that had a 'hard' elephant johnny? I've never come across those (excuse pun) before. They seem pretty good. Though for me I prefer to replace all my sleeves with these:

https://mofi.com/products/mfslis_origin ... pack_of_50

They cost a bit more in the EU but I find they are the best quality.

EDIT: Also good points you make about paper. On a semi-related note, I'm extremely particular when it comes to notebooks. For regular scribbles I just use whatever I can pull out of a printer tray, or I use a Collins planner to fill in particular stuff. Meeting notes etc.

For more serious notes or writing I go for Leuchturm1917 or the higher end Rhodia notebooks. There's some great notebooks made in Japan by Stalogy and Midori. A bit out of my price range though after import fees. And of course, I wouldn't write in such notebooks with a feckin Bic! I use a mix of Lamy and Visconti pens with different inks, depending on the paper weight and potential to bleed. Same for letter writing. Type it up on a computer but if it warrants signing I'd use a premium paper to compliment the ink used.

Again, depends what it is, and those are uncommon occasions. Most days it's using my Collins planner or whatever scraps are in my laser printer tray. 60/70gsm stuff. Then a mix of uniball gel pens or a pencil.

I guess while on the subject of pens (and for a small thread derail, apologies), you can really get in to them big time. Some stuff can go for 10's of 1000's of $/$/¥/£ and beyond. I never went to that level but I had some nice pens in the past. A 1933 World's Fair Bantam and a Visconti Van Gogh Collection beauty which I stupidly sold on and now regret. I'd love another Van Gogh or my most wanted pen, the 1940's Wahl Eversharp Skyline!

This was the Visconti Van Gogh I had. I want another! :(

I’m more of an illustrator than a writer but I’m pretty opinionated about such things as well. I cannot stand a Bic for anything. I hate those damned things for writing or drawing or even just signing a check.

Sadly the market for refillable illustration pens seems to have vanished and all my Rapidiographs and such have seized. This forced me to change the way I draw and the way I do models. For ink I use brushes or Japanese style calligraphy brush pens (permanent ink) now and for pencils I use mechanicals (“sharp”) from Otho, etc. I’m currently into the Otho Super Promecha 1500P. It weighs like a pound and you can adjust the feed rate which is relevant since I use the softest lead I can find.

A great pen for random writing is the Preppy. The ink isn’t waterproof which makes it useless for illustration but they are the best ding dang doodle pen ever. It’s an old fashion fountain pen with modern gel inks. A retro modern sort of thing. They do develop flow problems just like an old pen and your options are fewer for getting them going again so they get binned but they are super super cheap anyway.

A while ago I hand wrote a card for someone which caused me to pick up calligraphy hat again. It was rough. All the stuff I used to use is gone so I had to re-figure out how to do all that too. Since I wanted to use green ink that made it even more of a problem. I ended up spending $60 and still using a pen I hated. I don’t know what serious calligraphy people use it seems like it’s all garbage.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2021, 01:06 
Second post
Second post

Whatever the sleeve, I let em cool down before putting them back into packaging.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2021, 14:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I can’t think of any reason NOT to do that...

Page 3 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3